2009 - 2014 F-150

Very frustrated with these water spots. With pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very frustrated with these water spots. With pics

So I first got these spots from the nasty water sprinklers here in FL. They have been there for awhile as i never knew about using a polisher. I washed the truck well, started out with an orange pad with wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover. Put that on my DA polisher and hit it twice within a half hour. Still wasnt off so i used the Autp Glym super resin polish on the DA with orange pad and this is what im stuck with so far. Do i do another application? The pictures show what is left. Im afraid i might start to wear on the clear coat if i continue. Does anyone have any ideas for continuing?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 PM
1. Clay Bar
2. Meg's Ultimate Compound (DA polisher)
3. Meg's Scratch X (DA polisher)
4. Meg's Ultimate Wax (DA polisher)

Old 07-30-2011, 10:26 PM
forgot to mention i did clay bar the truck after washing and it has been clay barred twice since the spots showed up. I believe the meguires kit is similar to the DA i have plus wolfgang swirl remover and autogylm resin polish im using

Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by BRY14661
forgot to mention i did clay bar the truck after washing and it has been clay barred twice since the spots showed up. I believe the meguires kit is similar to the DA i have plus wolfgang swirl remover and autogylm resin polish im using
To get the ones that baked into my black truck from my stupid sprinklers and a week of 100+ degree sun, I had to clay bar, then ultimate compound with an orbital, then clay bar again, then one last compound with the orbital, then polish/wax. That was 2 weeks ago and my shoulders are still sore, but the truck looks great!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A thought.... hard water is easily removed from plumbing in your home with CLR. I would read the bottle first to ensure it is safe for auto painted surfaces, but it might be an easy solution.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:27 PM
You may think I am insane with my answer but if the problem you are having is the hard water coming out of your sprinkler than those water spots are probably calcium deposits. And the best thing to get rid of calcium deposits is just simply pouring white vinegar over the spots, wiping them off with a sponge, repeat if necessary, and then rinse with water. Vinegar does a great job getting rid of the deposits and will not harm the clear coat. Then you can simply polish/ wax again if you so desire.

Unfortunately, I had to do this several times to my truck because the parking garage at work leaks when it rains and if you truck is parked in the wrong spot the water leaks on it leaving large calcium deposits. The first time it happened to me I went beserk and tried all sorts of cleaners/polishers on it (to the point of scratching the cleat coat on my expedition) and then someone told me about the vinegar trick. I since learned where to park so that I do not get the water leaking on my truck anymore but if it does at least now I know what to do it.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Cleaner Wax

Use a good "Cleaner Wax" I like Meguires. It works for me everytime. I used to work at a carwash in Orlando and that was how I learned to best remove Florida hard water spots.
Follow up that Cleaner Wax with a good Carnuba wax. If your using a orbital polisher it wont take you too long.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Niroc
You may think I am insane with my answer but if the problem you are having is the hard water coming out of your sprinkler than those water spots are probably calcium deposits. And the best thing to get rid of calcium deposits is just simply pouring white vinegar over the spots, wiping them off with a sponge, repeat if necessary, and then rinse with water. Vinegar does a great job getting rid of the deposits and will not harm the clear coat. Then you can simply polish/ wax again if you so desire.

Good luck!
I was thinking the same thing. My buddy used to wash his boat with vinegar/water after a day on the Colorado river. The calcium deposits looked just like the pics. It came right off and did no harm. It was a crazy custom $6k paint job so he was very meticulous and always knew the right products to use. We would spray quick detailer on the paint after the wash just to give it some more shine and protection. Then after the trip we gave it a good ol waxing. Don't see why this wouldn't work for you either.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
To get the ones that baked into my black truck from my stupid sprinklers and a week of 100+ degree sun, I had to clay bar, then ultimate compound with an orbital, then clay bar again, then one last compound with the orbital, then polish/wax. That was 2 weeks ago and my shoulders are still sore, but the truck looks great!

Claying after using Ultimate Compound is really going to be a wasted step as UC as a paint cleaner will remove contaminants that claying will not. If first go around with UC doesn't do the trick then give it another go or use a slightly more aggressive pad and or reduce your working area to a smaller size.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
Claying after using Ultimate Compound is really going to be a wasted step as UC as a paint cleaner will remove contaminants that claying will not. If first go around with UC doesn't do the trick then give it another go or use a slightly more aggressive pad and or reduce your working area to a smaller size.
x2... It may actually take two go arounds with UC and then follow-up with Scratch X. I actually removed 8 year old water spots from my wife's '02 Mustang GT last Fall. Unfortunately, there was some clear coat etching. Not bad, but still present. Make sure you take your time and not rush over things.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I would use Megs 105 on an orange pad then follow it up with Megs 205 on a white pad. And lastly Wolfgang 3.0 sealant. This is one of my favorite combos.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
ALL GOOD SUGGESTIONS BUT TRY THIS.
http://www.3dproducts.com/Eraser-Wat...16-Oz-Gel.html
I'M NOT A REP FOR THE COMPANY, I RUN A MOBILE AUTO DETAILING SERVICE WITH MY 2010 F150. I'VE HAD GOOD SUCCESS WITH LESS ELBOW GREASE REMOVING CUSTOMERS WATER SPOTS. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO HAVE A GOOD SEALANT APPLIED AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by killershine
ALL GOOD SUGGESTIONS BUT TRY THIS.
http://www.3dproducts.com/Eraser-Wat...16-Oz-Gel.html
I'M NOT A REP FOR THE COMPANY, I RUN A MOBILE AUTO DETAILING SERVICE WITH MY 2010 F150. I'VE HAD GOOD SUCCESS WITH LESS ELBOW GREASE REMOVING CUSTOMERS WATER SPOTS. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO HAVE A GOOD SEALANT APPLIED AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR.
Can this be used on glass?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
First off quit jumping to the most agressive polish/pad combo right off the batt you will just agrivate the situtaion. Try the vinegar and if that does not do the trick and if the agressive polish pad combo have not touched it, it's time to take it to a pro to correct the problem because if the water spots are etched into the clear the only way to get rid of them is wet sanding and I do not recomend that you do this on your own because you can dig your self into a very deep and expensive hole quickly if you don't know what you are doing. Post this in the Detailing section or join the Detailers Cafe and let some of the guys over there look at this and give you some suggestions.

Quick Reply: Very frustrated with these water spots. With pics