2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
I know mine bounces off the rev limiter.
Learned something new today......

Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I suspect using the lower octane fuel alone may be the issue.

Clearly states to use premium in severe duty. If thats not severe....

Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Ok, I did here that and I knew the Super Duty's came with it. But does the PCM over ride that at some point and force a shift near or at red line to prevent damage or does the truck simply go into limp mode?
On my 11 PSD it will allow you to hold a gear up to redline, however it will not allow you to lug the motor in a gear higher than the computer deems suitable.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
On my 11 PSD it will allow you to hold a gear up to redline, however it will not allow you to lug the motor in a gear higher than the computer deems suitable.
So it does not force a shift up, but it will force a shift down when the PCM senses low RPM. Interesting...........

Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Results

I took my truck in to have it looked over by my Ford dealer in Durango. They spent 2 days looking it over and found nothing wrong. Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating!

Next week I will fill my truck with 93 octane... hook up my camper and head over the very same mountain where I had the original overheat. This time I will videotape the entire climb. If it doesn't overheat, I will be confident that fuel choice was the problem. If it overheats, I will have a record that Ford cannot deny and demand a fix... Or a new truck.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by 777aaaviator
I took my truck in to have it looked over by my Ford dealer in Durango. They spent 2 days looking it over and found nothing wrong. Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating!

Next week I will fill my truck with 93 octane... hook up my camper and head over the very same mountain where I had the original overheat. This time I will videotape the entire climb. If it doesn't overheat, I will be confident that fuel choice was the problem. If it overheats, I will have a record that Ford cannot deny and demand a fix... Or a new truck.
You will need to try to do it at the same time and same temps. Although even a change in wind direction could make for a different outcome. A slight tail wind could make all the difference, as well as traffic conditions and humidity. I would actually prefer that you be able to duplicate the problem and maybe have some thing more the the techs could work with....But I don't think you will.

It will be interesting to get your thoughts on the difference in octane.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by expy03
You will need to try to do it at the same time and same temps. Although even a change in wind direction could make for a different outcome. A slight tail wind could make all the difference, as well as traffic conditions and humidity. I would actually prefer that you be able to duplicate the problem and maybe have some thing more the the techs could work with....But I don't think you will.

It will be interesting to get your thoughts on the difference in octane.

Thanks for sharing.

Temp and humidity are pretty consistent on the mountain. Traffic is not an issue. I don't know what the wind was doing.

I have no idea if I can duplicate the problem. If it goes well with the 93 octane I will assume it was a fuel issue. I hope it will be that simple. If it overheats again.... It's very simple... Ford will make it right one way or another.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Temp and humidity are pretty consistent on the mountain. Traffic is not an issue. I don't know what the wind was doing.

I have no idea if I can duplicate the problem. If it goes well with the 93 octane I will assume it was a fuel issue. I hope it will be that simple. If it overheats again.... It's very simple... Ford will make it right one way or another.
I just have a hunch you are going to experience the same thing, but I will keep my mouth shut until you try and repeat what happened. Good luck I really hope it was just crappy fuel and that is the only problem.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it goes. Have you thought about getting some typ of PC based scannig/ recoording tool, that records, so you would have more information for Ford? I have been playing with a OBDCOM setup, and it is pretty cool. That or something similar might be worth looking at.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Glen R
Let us know how it goes. Have you thought about getting some typ of PC based scannig/ recoording tool, that records, so you would have more information for Ford? I have been playing with a OBDCOM setup, and it is pretty cool. That or something similar might be worth looking at.
The dealer has that very tool to plug in to the OBD port. good idea to have it plugged in before making the climb.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Excellent idea! Thanks again!!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep us posted on the outcome! Good luck!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by expy03
The dealer has that very tool to plug in to the OBD port. good idea to have it plugged in before making the climb.
What the dealers have makes over the counter OBD2 scanners seem like pocket calculators

Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Keep us posted on the outcome! Good luck!

The latest...

Well... made an initial call to the dealer about getting something to monitor my engine as I attempt to duplicate the problem and they shot me down. They won't let me drive off with it on my own. (it's too long a drive to take a tech at this point)

Next step will be making the trip by myself with a video camera. If it overheats, I will go higher up at the dealership and insist something be done.

What a pain in the A$$

Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
The latest...

Well... made an initial call to the dealer about getting something to monitor my engine as I attempt to duplicate the problem and they shot me down. They won't let me drive off with it on my own. (it's too long a drive to take a tech at this point)

Next step will be making the trip by myself with a video camera. If it overheats, I will go higher up at the dealership and insist something be done.

What a pain in the A$$

I hope you get it figured out sooner then later. That last thing you need is a blown engine. But, if it happens atleast Ford was aware of your problems.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost