2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I just ordered an Ecoboost crew cab a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty excited.

Other than this issue how are you enjoying the engine? Would you buy an Ecoboost again?

(I've been following this thread daily to see your updates)

Old 08-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
I just ordered an Ecoboost crew cab a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty excited.

Other than this issue how are you enjoying the engine? Would you buy an Ecoboost again?

(I've been following this thread daily to see your updates)

Besides this one time issue.... I LOVE IT!!!

It's quiet, smooth and bursting with power, especially in the mountains where I live. It tows fabulously... despite this one time glitch. If the overheat happens again, I'd hesitate before buying one. But if it turns out to be a one time problem due to a low octane fuel for instance, I'd buy another in a second.

I'll keep you updated.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by 777aaaviator
The latest...

Well... made an initial call to the dealer about getting something to monitor my engine as I attempt to duplicate the problem and they shot me down. They won't let me drive off with it on my own. (it's too long a drive to take a tech at this point)

Next step will be making the trip by myself with a video camera. If it overheats, I will go higher up at the dealership and insist something be done.

What a pain in the A$$
So, the dealer found no stored codes? Seem's odd that no stored codes would show up after a diagnostic scan.

Good luck...

Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
So, the dealer found no stored codes? Seem's odd that no stored codes would show up after a diagnostic scan.

Good luck...

Question.... Would my overheat alert be stored as a fault code and remain until itnwas retrieved at a later date?

I did not ask if the code was detected.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Fault code? 1443 data buses? Now your talking my language. I would think an overheat alert would be a stored code. Did you get any other warning lights? Temp, Trans or engine? I worked as a Mitsubishi and KIA Service Writer and Manager so I'm not sure what Ford software has to offer.

What did the technician write on your RO (Repair Order)?

Last edited by Blue07STX; 08-12-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: content
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Fault code? 1443 data buses? Now your talking my language. I would think an overheat alert would be a stored code. Did you get any other warning lights? Temp, Trans or engine? I worked as a Mitsubishi and KIA Service Writer and Manager so I'm not sure what Ford software has to offer.

What did the technician write on your RO (Repair Order)?
I haven't seen any paperwork since I've been out of town. I'll see it to or row night and check.

Engine temp gauge was pegged high along with a warning stating ENGINE OVERHEAT.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I haven't seen any paperwork since I've been out of town. I'll see it to or row night and check.

Engine temp gauge was pegged high along with a warning stating ENGINE OVERHEAT.

A warning light should store a code of some kind.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Besides this one time issue.... I LOVE IT!!!

It's quiet, smooth and bursting with power, especially in the mountains where I live. It tows fabulously... despite this one time glitch. If the overheat happens again, I'd hesitate before buying one. But if it turns out to be a one time problem due to a low octane fuel for instance, I'd buy another in a second.

I'll keep you updated.
Ford has sold a ton of Eco Boost F-150's as of late across the USA! Trust me if there is a glitch with this motor it will show up again! You are definetly not the only person who will tow heavy loads on hot days!!!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Ford has sold a ton of Eco Boost F-150's as of late across the USA! Trust me if there is a glitch with this motor it will show up again! You are definetly not the only person who will tow heavy loads on hot days!!!
Ford has sold tons upon tons upon tons of motors since it was founded and I guarantee all of them have had glitches. No need to single one out because it's not a v8.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 AM
ham
Despite all the previous horse manure.

Bottom Line.

Your truck was screwed up. It had nothing to do with the heat, or the grade, or the load.

I have done way more than you did. Not a hiccup. Not an ounce of heat.

I repeat. Your truck was screwed up.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM
The latest...

Well... made an initial call to the dealer about getting something to monitor my engine as I attempt to duplicate the problem and they shot me down. They won't let me drive off with it on my own. (it's too long a drive to take a tech at this point)

Next step will be making the trip by myself with a video camera. If it overheats, I will go higher up at the dealership and insist something be done.

What a pain in the A$$
If I were you & you were able to duplicate the problem, well just let it blow up & go boom & have it delivered at their expense on a flat bed right in front of the dealership! You documented the problem with them & they did nothing! Not your problemo! Theirs!.........

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
If I were you & you were able to duplicate the problem, well just let it blow up & go boom & have it delivered at their expense on a flat bed right in front of the dealership! You documented the problem with them & they did nothing! Not your problemo! Theirs!.........
Easier said then done. Especially when its not your truck.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Update

Just got home from out of town and checked out the work order. NO CODES WERE FOUND. How can that be? According to the dealer I purchased it from, all warnings should be stored as a code until retrieved. Yet the dealer where I had it serviced (a different dealer) didn't find anything. The warning was only on momentarily.... That shouldn't matter, should it?

I was also told that if there was a true overheat, some spillage would have probably occurred of the coolant. I was also told that it's possible I had air in the cooling system. That can eventually work itself out.

My next step is to try to duplicate then problem.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Just got home from out of town and checked out the work order. NO CODES WERE FOUND. How can that be? According to the dealer I purchased it from, all warnings should be stored as a code until retrieved. Yet the dealer where I had it serviced (a different dealer) didn't find anything. The warning was only on momentarily.... That shouldn't matter, should it?

I was also told that if there was a true overheat, some spillage would have probably occurred of the coolant. I was also told that it's possible I had air in the cooling system. That can eventually work itself out.

My next step is to try to duplicate then problem.
Towing that load possibly worked out all of the air that possibly was in the system. Keep us informed & good luck!.......

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost