2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamdf
FYI: I was using 89 octane fuel. When we started the climb, the outside temp was roughly 100 degrees and I think the problem is that heat gets trapped between the rock walls on each side of the road as you are gaining in elevation making it a very difficult climb for all vehicles. There were probably four maybe five vehicles along the way that were pulled over on the side that had overheated. When we got to the campground, we were going thru all the potential scenerios in our mind as to why this might be happening because my brother-in-law said the temp gauge needle on his 5.4L never moved. We think my truck must definitely be malfunctioning. We checked the fluid level on the radiator and it was OK, and the radiator was not overly dirty (normal bugs and a little debris). I called the local ford dealership (this morning), here in flagstaff, and they want to keep my truck for the day to run it thru a diagnostics test but I can't leave it for the day because we are on vacation and they don't have a loaner vehicle to give me. The transmission temp gauge never moved at all and up until I started these two climbs, my temp gauge needle never moved at all. We stayed at the Davis Mountains state park and I had no problem traveling into the park the day before. It was only when I was going up the two 5 to 6 percent grade climbs from Phoenix to Flagstaff that I had a problem. My dad was thinking the thermostat could be malfunctioning (not sure what kind of technology they have on these new trucks). I was very stressed trying to make it to the top without damaging the engine (although the computer reduces power automatically to prevent that from happening, I was stilled very stressed out about it). Anyway, I may stop by the dealership here in the afternoon to talk directly to a service tech and see if he can hook it up and tell me something without having to leave it for the day...stay tuned.
Experienced the same issue with a 7000# travel trailer at 90 degrees, anybody have a fix?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats, you know how to use the search function!

From what I remember this happened to a few people back in 2011ish. It was determined that the truck wasn't really overheating but there was a problem with one of the temp sensors putting out a false code and throwing the truck into limp mode. It was discussed on here and the problem was resolved.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 PM
I read this whole thread twice and saw nothing about a sensor, could it have been a different thread? The truck is the dealership that I bought it at, Camelback in Phoenix and they can ring any reason for the overheating!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a different thread in either the 2009-2011 section or in the V6 section. The problem was the ECM reads one sensor for the actual overheating condition and another for the gauge/limp mode. Because only one sensor was seeing a problem it was not throwing a code and nothing was stored to show the condition ever existed.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks I will check it out. My truck is at Camelback Ford and has been sense last Thursday. They were going to check the thermostat operation and then go from there. The service writer said that the Ford engineers admitted they have had problems with the Ecoboost overheating while towing!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rjlittle53
Thanks I will check it out. My truck is at Camelback Ford and has been sense last Thursday. They were going to check the thermostat operation and then go from there. The service writer said that the Ford engineers admitted they have had problems with the Ecoboost overheating while towing!
Hi rjlittle53,

What's the year and mileage of your truck?

Ashley

Old 06-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Update, my truck is back and according to the tech at Cameback Ford the thermostat was sticking! It works fine now, but then it always did until it didn't. I will be pulling a loaded trailer to Flagstaff in a couple of weeks so that will let us know.

My truck is an 2011 Ecoboost F-150 Crew cab long bed (6.5') 4x4 with the heavy duty tow package and is rated to tow up to 11,200 lbs.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost