2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow a 5.4 can out perform an Ecoboost running in limp mode... That's amazing.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbear853, stick to the 2004-08 forums. Maybe they'll buy some of your internet stories.

Two points.

1) Mention of humidity was because high levels of humidity displace oxygen in the air and reduce the thermodynamic potential of the air. Of the total air pressure, any humidity will consume a certain vapor pressure, reducing what is left for the partial pressure of oxygen. The effect is very significant at high temperatures and can cost quite a bit of horsepower.

2) I was showing you the block because you're spouting off about small engines and water jackets. I never said the Ecoboost was the only wet sleeve engine. See your exact quote below....

Originally Posted by tbear853
Small engines have smaller surface area for water jackets full of copolant to absorb and carry the heat away to a radiator.

Bottom line: (no pun intended) The 3 post count guy has an issue. It has nothing to do with displacement or turbos heating up the engine.

Last edited by OldSkoolMC; 08-02-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC

Bottom line: (no pun intended) The 3 post count guy has an issue. It has nothing to do with displacement or turbos heating up the engine.
OldSkoolMC, Wouldn't you like to find out what the dealer says before you make this statement?

OP, I used to be a Service Manager. You may want to for go a few days of driving and get your truck to the dealer. If there is an issue and you continue to drive, you may run the risk of voiding warranty repair. I only say this because I have seen warranty claims denied by regional/district parts and service managers. Just a thought to consider.

Good luck and let us know what the dealer finds.

James

Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
9000 pounds with a 1/2 ton truck is to much, IMO. i dont care what ford rates it at.

on the 9000 pounds , most people underestimate the load, the 9000 pounds could actually be over 10,000.
once again to much for a 1/2 ton truck.

also, don't now about where he is, but it is 100 here in Houston. Phoenix has to be 105 plus.

recap: an "estimated" 9000 pound load, half ton truck, motor not broke in, 105 plus heat, my old 5.4 would have been in the right light in the fight of its life.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
its going to be 108 in DFW before heat index.

look up reviews on how great wet sleeves can be, look up Land Rover Freelander. V6 wet sleeve, literally one of the worst vehicles known to man. Trust me i know i work on them. Its very common to have a sleeve drop a couple mm's, which is the same symptoms of a blown headgasket, when the sleeve drops no matter the mileage it needs the entire block to be replaced.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
look up reviews on how great wet sleeves can be, look up Land Rover Freelander. V6 wet sleeve, literally one of the worst vehicles known to man. Trust me i know i work on them. Its very common to have a sleeve drop a couple mm's, which is the same symptoms of a blown headgasket, when the sleeve drops no matter the mileage it needs the entire block to be replaced.
And what does this have to do with the price of tea in china? Last time I checked I didn't own a Land Rover Freelander.

But if you insist we talk about other manufactures wet sleeves how about this then.... ( bold - key comments)

"PERFORMANCE SLEEVES
In 2004, Darton Sleeves was awarded a patent for their “Modular Integrated Deck” system for converting dry sleeve aluminum blocks (such as Honda sport compact engines) to wet sleeves. This same technology has since been adapted for converting GM LS engines and various other engines for extreme performance.

Converting a GM LS engine to a wet sleeve configuration takes about six hours of machine work, and should be done with CNC equipment, says Dave Clinton of Darton. But the results are well worth the effort. The wet sleeve configuration can handle significantly more power while improving reliability in high output engines. Clinton says their MID wet sleeve conversion kit for Nissan VR V6 blocks allows that engine to handle up to 2,600 horsepower from 3.0L of displacement!

“GM has had cylinder cracking problems with the stock liners in their supercharged Corvette LS7 engines. The factory sleeves can’t take the heat, but our wet sleeves can,” explains Clinton. “We use a high nickel alloy cast iron or ductile iron in our sleeves, depending on the application. The strength standards typically exceed ASTM standards by 20 to 30 percent depending on the grade of material used. We produce wet sleeves for 80 to 90 percent of the Top Fuel drag racers, and about a third of our business is custom sleeves.”

Last edited by OldSkoolMC; 08-02-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS7 is the naturally aspirated 7.0 liter in the z06 corvette (i have one)

LS9 is the supercharged 6.2 liter in the ZR1, i know several guys making over 800 hp with this stock block (6.2)

realize this only means something to a gm guy, but it is an incorrect statement by someone pushing their product.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Howdy,

Things coming together to make matters worse.
Higher elevation (thinner air)
5-6% grade
long high rpm use (grade length)
outside air temperture 95 deg, what is the ambient air temp 1 foot above the asphalt (the air coming into the turbos and intercooler)

*using 89 octane fuel? premium fuel is 92-93 octane. (considering pulling close to max weight and hot, and steep grades. Lower octane fuels burn hotter.

9,000 lb trailer? really, go over a scale and get a accurate reading. You might thinks its 9,000 lbs, but you probably have a bunch of gear in the truck as well as in the trailer.
It's a 1/2 ton truck. Tow ratings aside, if you routinely tow a 9,000 lb trailer, get a all time vehicle that will work at 50-60% workload. How long will a engine last if you never let it shift out of 2nd gear and your driving at redline 60 mph. All day, every day.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaybreakMike
Howdy,
...if you never let it shift out of 2nd gear and your driving at redline 60 mph. All day, every day.
You would have to be on an infinite hill, towing a gas tanker behind you, trying to get to the top for that to happen!

If you are towing 9k regularly, you definitely need a larger truck, though. Occasionally, sure, the F150 will do fine. And we don't know if he has weighed his rig or not...maybe he has.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, not being a big time betting man, I feel comfortable putting my money on a blown head gasket, or cracked head, or something leaking that is allowing combustion gas to enter the coolant. Had the exact same situation in a motor a few years back and after getting a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, I finally gave in and pulled the heads. After the machine shop cleaned the heads, you could see a tiny crack in the combustion chamber, just between the valves. It would also get hot, but cool down very quickly when you took off the load. Drove around town with no problem. Only an issue when climbing a grade during the hot months of the summer.

Looking forward to finding out the true cause of this problem.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
^ alright that's two of us..see post #14.

also "Looking forward to finding out the true cause of this problem."

Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
its going to be 108 in DFW before heat index.

arnt all land/ range rovers the most unreliable suv??? lol...
i wonder if he isnt fudging his rpms and what gear its in, i wonder its it was well over 9000+ and he had he foot damn near the floor.... i wana see what ford says, cuz they are oh so great at fixing stuff under warranty....

Old 08-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Exclamation

tbear853, stick to the 2004-08 forums. Maybe they'll buy some of your internet stories.
Sounds like an invite to come visit more often.

Two points.

... etc ...
Not much point in adding points after that ....

But as to point 1, his problem was overheating leading to low power, not low power leading to overheating and as to point 2, I fail to see how the picture of three cylinders setting in a water jacket says anything? They are still "cylindrical" in shape and still of fixed surface area dependent upon height and circumfrence.

You are acting like I trashed your precious ecoboost. I didn't.
My opinion, in short ...
... is that the cooling system is simply overwhelmed when the Ecoboost is asked to make big power for longer durations.

Time will tell that tale with more certainty though.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-03-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Cool

Wow.

I'm... just... amazed at all the heated discussions that transpire whenever an Ecoboost is ever mentioned in a thread.

I mean, we are all F150 owners, yes?

The Ecoboost is (the newest) one in a long line of successful Ford power plants, yes?

The venerable engines of old (5.4L) are still very solid and capable engines, yes?

This is NOT a Chevy/Dodge/Import vs Ford debate, no?

I'm very intrigued at why "Ecoboost" invokes so much "frothing" at the mouths and divisiveness between both sides (Ecoboost owners/turbo proponents vs non-Ecoboost owners/V8 proponents), and the tangents that branch off.

It's like watching the national debt stand-off...

Fascinating.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Same problem...

I have had my Ecoboost for several months now and have towed my 7000 lb camper (fully loaded) numerous times in the Durango area without a problem. Last week, however, I crossed Wolf Creek Pass... just under 11,000 ft with a 6-7% climb gradient towing the same camper. I was very happy with its performance until the truck very rapidly overheated. I was nearly to the summit and pulled over to let it cool. OAT was 74*. It cooled down rapidly, so I continued. This was the first leg of our 2500 mile trip to Wisconsin... down to Kansas.... and back to Durango. We crossed the same mountain with less of a gradient heading west 11 days later without any problem whatsoever.

I spoke to an 'expert' with Ford's Ecoboost and several dealers and none claim to have heard of this phenomenon before. One suggestion was the cooling fans did not kick in properly. A Ford engineer explained the cooling lines for the Turbo's are very narrow and may have a tendency to overheat rapidly in thin air... and cool rapidly when the load is taken off the engine.

I will be taking my truck in to have it checked out this week. Please forward any info you may get. I bought this truck to as to not worry about my mountain towing... which is 90% of what I do!

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost