2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
[QUOTE= If this is a real issue that is not just effecting 1 or 2 trucks I'll eat crow. But until there are numerous reports, I will be calling this an isolated incident. [/QUOTE]

Hopefully that is what it is, something that just affects a few trucks in certain situations, But we need them reporting their experience so we can learn from it. We don't need to be discouraging it.

Just think back to the broken sparkplug problem with the 5.4 3vs. Everyone benefited by reading about the experiences, a tool evolved from it, and now it is not such a big deal. That is what these sites are all about.

Last edited by Bluejay; 08-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yea? My 5.4 3v is so
Much superior to your Ecojoke it's like 10,000xs better. In all seriousness, why does every thread have to start an all out argument. It's why I left this forum. Got tired of reading smart *** comments. Try to help the members not criticize them because they have a low amount of activity on this forum. I like a few people on this forum and it's a very very few.

For the guys with the issues. These are the first year and you are the Ginny pigs. You guys are very important to these forums. Reason why is you help solve all the potential and accuring problems with these motor, so you guys keep us posted on how to fix this issue for the potential buyers in the future. :cheers:

Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by 777aaaviator
Couple of things....

1) Just curious.... Are you paranoid? Delusional? Serious questions.

2) Did you read the part in my post about how I LOVE my Ecoboost? That sure sounds like an Ecoboost basher to me, doesn't it?

3) I called my dealer the minute it happened for advice. (best I could do in the middle of nowhere) Also spoke to a Ford engineer in Oshkosh, WI. Actually went to the dealer yesterday and spoke to the technician. He hadn't heard of this problem before. I will leave it with them when I can spare the truck a couple of days. Until then, the truck is working fine and has for the last 2500 miles... including crossing the same mountain a second time.

This was a one time deal and may never happen again. That said, I will be having the truck checked out before my next serious summit climb later this month.

4) If you don't have a constructive comment, please grow up and leave us adults to deal with this issue.

oh yeah.... I was also surprised to find the original post so recent. That was truly a coincidence!
1) Yes

2) Where did I say you bashed the EB?

3) Great - good job - Let us know the outcome.

4) I gave you one already - Bring it to the dealer.

Keep us posted big daddy.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Wow you guys are funny, I needed a good laugh this morning.

First off to the OP, is this your first turbo charged vehicle and if so you need to change your driving habits to fit the vehicle before you melt something or blow the head gaskets. You can not simply stuff your foot into it and not expect things to heat up with two turbo chargers under the hood creating more heat and wonder why the cooling system is not keeping up. Just for all the internet know it alls, I have driving turbo charged vehicles for many years while they might not be P/U's they have been diesels in medium duty and heavy duty trucks. A turbo charged vehicle will always create more heat and I know this because I have overheated our boom truck pulling a steep grade in -30* temps. When I have the fifth wheel behind my truck and pulling grades I am watching the gauges like a hawk almost to point of not paying attention to the road. Also don't be afraid to slow down and let the truck do the work and not force it because you will only break something, pay attention to the guys running the big rigs and listen when they hit hill you can hear the tubo spool up and they will keep a steady RPM even as the truck slows down they are running the same RPM all the way up the grade and they will normally gear down before they even hit the hill to make it. Pay attention to what the truck is saying, I was not there and I can tell you your truck was screaming at you to back off and slow down.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Wow you guys are funny, I needed a good laugh this morning.

First off to the OP, is this your first turbo charged vehicle and if so you need to change your driving habits to fit the vehicle before you melt something or blow the head gaskets. You can not simply stuff your foot into it and not expect things to heat up with two turbo chargers under the hood creating more heat and wonder why the cooling system is not keeping up. Just for all the internet know it alls, I have driving turbo charged vehicles for many years while they might not be P/U's they have been diesels in medium duty and heavy duty trucks. A turbo charged vehicle will always create more heat and I know this because I have overheated our boom truck pulling a steep grade in -30* temps. When I have the fifth wheel behind my truck and pulling grades I am watching the gauges like a hawk almost to point of not paying attention to the road. Also don't be afraid to slow down and let the truck do the work and not force it because you will only break something, pay attention to the guys running the big rigs and listen when they hit hill you can hear the tubo spool up and they will keep a steady RPM even as the truck slows down they are running the same RPM all the way up the grade and they will normally gear down before they even hit the hill to make it. Pay attention to what the truck is saying, I was not there and I can tell you your truck was screaming at you to back off and slow down.
A factory tubo truck should have enough cooling to be able to set the cruse and forget about hills, it seems like the ecoboost does since there are only two reports of this happening. If it for some reason doesn't then Ford needs to do something about it, because most people will do just that.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
A factory tubo truck should have enough cooling to be able to set the cruse and forget about hills, it seems like the ecoboost does since there are only two reports of this happening. If it for some reason doesn't then Ford needs to do something about it, because most people will do just that.
You can over whelm any cooling system by pushing an engine to hard especially when you start adding turbos into the mix because a turbo runs on heat and the more heat you throw at it the more efficient and better it performs. You should also never ever be towing with cruise control on or at least that's according to Fords the owners manual. I am not saying Ford needs to do squat about it reread my post again, I said the OP needs to learn how to drive a turbo charged vehicle and learn to back off and slow down not stuff his foot further into it. Then please explain to me how you can overheat a 425hp diesel Class 8 truck when it comes with a turbo on it and about 8-10 times the cooling surface of an EcoBoost radiator.

Last edited by dsq3973; 08-03-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
I read this as:

1. The EB truck wasn't operating properly
2. The 5.4L WAS operating properly

Regardless of engine, Ford trucks seldom overheat unless mods have overpowered the cooling package. Chevy trucks seldom overheat. Dodge trucks seldom overheat. Toyota trucks seldom overheat. Its not something that happens much anymore.

Here's my checklist:

1. Radiator coolant level, and is there an air bubble trapped in cooling system?
2. Fins plugged?
3. Fins blown flat by pressure washer?
4. If no to all of the above, dealer trip is in order

Even though I have a 5.4L 09 that tows GREAT, it shouldn't hold a hill as well as the EB, when equipped with like gearing, tires, and trailer.

-Andy
i just got past the first page of this thread. With my 2009 plat-max tow i have pulled several trailers. and have pulled loads- well. that i shouldnt have long distances. and it pulled great. my last truck, 99f150xlt 3.73 5.4 pulled well also. however i had a few times where it did this exact same thing. air in cooling system. it had been at least 3 mos from the time i flushed it. and it decided to show up then. pulled over to rest stop. loosened weep plugs on engine. good to go.
that EB should have no issue pulling a trailer. while it will get a bit toasty on the tranny and coolant temps. it should maintain .. they are a great and proven tested design. my next truck will be an EB.
i will now read the rest of the thread..!.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
You can over whelm any cooling system by pushing an engine to hard especially when you start adding turbos into the mix because a turbo runs on heat and the more heat you throw at it the more efficient and better it performs. You should also never ever be towing with cruise control on or at least that's according to Fords the owners manual. I am not saying Ford needs to do squat about it reread my post again, I said the OP needs to learn how to drive a turbo charged vehicle and learn to back off and slow down not stuff his foot further into it. Then please explain to me how you can overheat a 425hp diesel Class 8 truck when it comes with a turbo on it and about 8-10 times the cooling surface of an EcoBoost radiator.
I never said you were saying ford should do something, and I know what the owners manual says but I also know most people that are towing long distances stick the cruise on. I am saying if this motor can't handle that then Ford needs to do something because that is the way the majority of the owners will use it and they will be having problems. I think the motor is fine personally I am just being hypothetical on whether or not it can tow fine in the mountain on cruise. The last thing Ford needs is this motor to get a bad rap for overheating.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
I never said you were saying ford should do something, and I know what the owners manual says but I also know most people that are towing long distances stick the cruise on. I am saying if this motor can't handle that then Ford needs to do something because that is the way the majority of the owners will use it and they will be having problems. I think the motor is fine personally I am just being hypothetical on whether or not it can tow fine in the mountain on cruise. The last thing Ford needs is this motor to get a bad rap for overheating.
I just towed our 11k fifth wheel up a long steep grade three weeks ago in 90*+ heat and never over heated my 6.0 and never saw anything over 1000* for EGT's and I am running Innovatives tow tune to boot. The problem is the loose nut behind the wheel having never driven a turbo charged vehicle and not knowing when to back out and slow down not Fords.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just towed our 11k fifth wheel up a long steep grade three weeks ago in 90*+ heat and never over heated my 6.0 and never saw anything over 1000* for EGT's and I am running Innovatives tow tune to boot. The problem is the loose nut behind the wheel having never driven a turbo charged vehicle and not knowing when to back out and slow down not Fords.
Driving a STOCK turbo charged vehicle should not be very different from driving a STOCK naturally aspirated vehicle. The cooling system is built to handle it. Does it produce more heat? Sure, but Ford accounted for that.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I do not think it is an eco-boost problem and I also think you should be able to run these things WOT all you want without overheating. Has anyone asked what kind of gas they were running? Ever think where ever they filled up at was selling a really poor grade of gas.

It has happened to me with my non-turbo 07 Expedition. Filled up in Florida and made it to Macon and it was empty, I thought what the hell, usually I can make it home (Atlanta) and still have more than a 1/4 tank left. My wife was complaining the floor was hot all the way home, started unapcking and sure enough, everything in the car over the exhaust was HOT. This was Easter,45 degrees outside. Poor gas+turbos+desert+weight+incline = overheated. I do not care if it has a knock sensor (which I do not know) or not - you can pull enough timing out of a motor to make it a turd and overheat. You start compressing air into an engine without enough octane and if you get lucky, it will only overheat.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Good luck getting this sorted OP and thanks for posting. We're all looking forward to some answers when and if you get them.

The guys who bash the EB in every thread are ridiculous but it's shocking to see how butt-hurt a few members get when ANYTHING negative is mentioned about the EB. It's surprising that concerns about a new Ford power plant will hurt a guys feelings to the core and conjure up conspiracy theories lol

For the record I'm an ecoboost fan and will probably own one in a year or two. Looking forward to your findings

Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Wow, took most of my lunch to read this. Hope to God it is an isolated incident for the OP and other new member. Looking forward to the conclusion.

As far as 5.4 vs EB, hehehe, I love my 5.4 3V, never had an issue with my 04 or 10 (knock on wood). But I will be going to an EB in the FX4 variety sometime in 2012 probably. I do pretty much 85% highway and if I can get upwards of 20mpg in a 1/2ton 4x4, then hell I am an idiot not to be driving one.

Thick skin is a must and now I am going to start paying attention to post counts, never did before only because this is the only forum I have ever been on.... internet forum n00b.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Driving a STOCK turbo charged vehicle should not be very different from driving a STOCK naturally aspirated vehicle. The cooling system is built to handle it. Does it produce more heat? Sure, but Ford accounted for that.
Unfortunatly it is completly different and they are completely different driving styles between a turo charged vehicle and non turbo charged vehicle. Ford accounted for normal driving and towing with a margin built in for safety. A turbo charged vehicle produces a ton more heat than a regular vehicle but you also need to use the mellon attached to your neck as well when driving and towing and not just stuff your foot into it and ignore everything else around you. I see in your sig that you have a Power Stroke Super Duty, do you just stuff your foot into it and prey for the best when towing with it? Or do you pay attention and adjust how far you stuff your right foot in it? Another question, do you have a set of gauges to monitor what's going on with your EGT's, boost, trans temp, and is your truck completly 100% stock or have you modded it with custom tunes, exhaust, intake, and any deletes?

When I bought my 6.0 I went into it knowing that there were problems with the motor. I have addresed one major one and I am waiting to do the head gaskets when they fail (not if but when). Since I have done the EGR delete on my truck it runs great and I have not had a problem with it. But good grief do some research and be informed on what you are buying and the engine that's in it for crying out loud!!! Pay attention to what's going on around you and what you are doing. But hey that makes to much sense, so lets come on the internet and complain that my brand new truck overheated pulling a mountain pass with a trailer that's to heavy for the truck, in 100*+ heat as well as the fact the guy kept pushing the truck instead backing off the throttle and pulling off on a safety turn out and letting the damn thing cool off.

But hey what do I know!! I have only been driving heavy trucks since I was 18 and the last 11 years were in turbo charged diesels with the heaviest grossing out at a plated 60,000lbs.

Last edited by dsq3973; 08-03-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Im guessing the op went up the mountain with cruise on and ran it wide open the whole way up. No wonder it overheated

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 08-03-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost