2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm that is interesting about the turbo cooling lines. With those turbos basically being the main part of the Ecoboost motor it kinda seems like that could turn into a huge problem.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Good read. Who knows if its an isolated incident or not, but I drive a ton in the mountains and tow up there occasionally too. While I'm sure the ecoboost would do just fine and you would expect it to be great at elevation with forced induction, reading this kind of stuff makes you second guess (even if just isolated incidents, due to less experience, etc whatever). The 5.4L is a complete dog towing uphill but has never overheated. I made my decision a while ago that my next truck will be a 6.2L F150, maybe in 2012.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still waiting for OP to get back to us about the dealer, but remember, Ford also had this truck towing 9,000 lbs worth (2 NASCAR cars) on a track, at 80mph for 24 hours.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I'm still waiting for OP to get back to us about the dealer, but remember, Ford also had this truck towing 9,000 lbs worth (2 NASCAR cars) on a track, at 80mph for 24 hours.
And that was down in Miami to wasn't it? Im sure this a just a particular truck thing but like you said im just waiting for an update.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Update

Today, we traveled from Flagstaff to Durango with absolutely no problem. There were a couple of times when the temperature gauge needle slightly moved upward as the grade got a little tougher but it quickly moved back to the original position (slightly under half) as the grade leveled out or as the transmission shifted to the next gear. No overheating or anything close and again it pulled like a dream. We did not face the same climbs today that we faced traveling from Phoenix to Flagstaff but it was still a pretty tough day. I appreciate the feedback that everyone is posting and I know you are all very interested to find out what happens and what the dealer says. I think the first post that came from 777aaaviator was very similar to what happened to me. So here are some more details: The engine is definitely broke in and has a little over 13000 miles. I did not use the cruise control and the weight of the trailer is pretty much at 9000 lbs (6700 dry weight, five passengers that include two adults and three children, clothes, food, etc...maybe slightly less than 9000 lbs). I have been using the truck on my job in Texas (easy highway miles) and this is the first time I have towed a trailer with it. We are here in Durango for 4 nights and then I will travel back home. I will try to get to a dealer here, but if not, I will have a report for you when I get home. Stay tuned.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Wow, Ford needs to hire you, and cure all that ails them!

Seriously, you don't think Ford thought this through? The OP's engine has an issue, simple as that. It will be fixed, the problem will be resolved, and all will go home happy (except for those that won't like the EB no matter what).
I have no problem with the EcoBoost, they gave us the 6.0 that had problems right out of the box, how about the early 5.4's and 6.8's that would spit out spark plugs like a baby that didn't want to eat what you are feeding them and don't forget about the newer 5.4's that had the plugs break off in the heads costing thousands to fix. But I do know a problem when I see it.

You don't think I know what I talking about? Measure the radiator on your Super Duty and then go measure it on an F150 and tell me what the surface area is I already know what you are going to find. They have added two heat generators to the sides of the 4.2L V6 and then decided to run coolant through them and return it through the engine block which is already hot from the combustion process. They are also using an intercooler on the EcoBoost to cool the combustion air charge back down so it's usable and the intercooler sits in front of the radiator. Now just where do you think that heat is going to go when you are moving down the road with air flowing through the grill, it's going to get pushed back over the radiator by the air flow and back into the engine bay and as the engine gets hotter you are going to lose power because the air charge is now hotter and less dense so what does the driver do? The driver is going to push the go pedal down even futher to maintain speed. There is a reason why no one liquid cools turbo chargers on Peterbilts, Kenworths, Macks, and Freightliner. It's because you add to much heat to coolant and engine in that process and the only way to do it is have a seperate cooling system for just the turbos which adds to the cost of building the vehicle.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by adamdf
Today, we traveled from Flagstaff to Durango with absolutely no problem. There were a couple of times when the temperature gauge needle slightly moved upward as the grade got a little tougher but it quickly moved back to the original position (slightly under half) as the grade leveled out or as the transmission shifted to the next gear. No overheating or anything close and again it pulled like a dream. We did not face the same climbs today that we faced traveling from Phoenix to Flagstaff but it was still a pretty tough day. I appreciate the feedback that everyone is posting and I know you are all very interested to find out what happens and what the dealer says. I think the first post that came from 777aaaviator was very similar to what happened to me. So here are some more details: The engine is definitely broke in and has a little over 13000 miles. I did not use the cruise control and the weight of the trailer is pretty much at 9000 lbs (6700 dry weight, five passengers that include two adults and three children, clothes, food, etc...maybe slightly less than 9000 lbs). I have been using the truck on my job in Texas (easy highway miles) and this is the first time I have towed a trailer with it. We are here in Durango for 4 nights and then I will travel back home. I will try to get to a dealer here, but if not, I will have a report for you when I get home. Stay tuned.

Hi Adamdf.... Too bad I'm heading out of town today. But New Country Ford across from WalMart is pretty good. I spoke to one of their technicians the other day and he seemed pretty well versed in the Ecoboost. It would be great if you let them look at it and they can compare notes when they get mine next week.

Are you heading over Wolf Creek pass on 160 when you head east? If so, I'd DEFINITELY have it checked out before heading over the mountain. Wolf Creek Pass will make Flagstaff seem like childs play.

Safe travels... please let me know what happens.

Last edited by 777aaaviator; 08-04-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
adamdf, thank for posting
at 13,000 mile it is broke in, 9000 pounds is probably a good estimate.

i pull a 6200 pound trailer and i am very interested in the ecoboost. if nothing is wrong with yours then that kind of takes it out of my view.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsq3973
I have no problem with the EcoBoost, they gave us the 6.0 that had problems right out of the box, how about the early 5.4's and 6.8's that would spit out spark plugs like a baby that didn't want to eat what you are feeding them and don't forget about the newer 5.4's that had the plugs break off in the heads costing thousands to fix. But I do know a problem when I see it.

You don't think I know what I talking about? Measure the radiator on your Super Duty and then go measure it on an F150 and tell me what the surface area is I already know what you are going to find. They have added two heat generators to the sides of the 4.2L V6 and then decided to run coolant through them and return it through the engine block which is already hot from the combustion process. They are also using an intercooler on the EcoBoost to cool the combustion air charge back down so it's usable and the intercooler sits in front of the radiator. Now just where do you think that heat is going to go when you are moving down the road with air flowing through the grill, it's going to get pushed back over the radiator by the air flow and back into the engine bay and as the engine gets hotter you are going to lose power because the air charge is now hotter and less dense so what does the driver do? The driver is going to push the go pedal down even futher to maintain speed. There is a reason why no one liquid cools turbo chargers on Peterbilts, Kenworths, Macks, and Freightliner. It's because you add to much heat to coolant and engine in that process and the only way to do it is have a seperate cooling system for just the turbos which adds to the cost of building the vehicle.
I never said you didn't know what you are talking about, just stated I would put my trust in Ford before you. Not a knock on you in any way. I'm a software developer, but I would expect you to put your trust in Microsoft or Apple or Google before me.

Ford has had issues in the past, yes. Things have changed at Ford, and you would know that if you follow them as closely as I do. The philosophy at Ford has gone from "get it out there" to "put out a solid product". It shows in their quality scores.

Maybe you are right, by maybe Ford has taken this added heat into account when designing the system. Based on the tests they have done, I would guess that they have.

And let's not bring the Super Duty into the discussion, or Macks, or Peterbuilts, etc...the PSD is built to tow upwards of 20k lbs...the F150 is built to tow, at max, 11,300. There is a HUGE difference!

I anxiously await more info from the OP...

Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I never said you didn't know what you are talking about, just stated I would put my trust in Ford before you. Not a knock on you in any way. I'm a software developer, but I would expect you to put your trust in Microsoft or Apple or Google before me.

Ford has had issues in the past, yes. Things have changed at Ford, and you would know that if you follow them as closely as I do. The philosophy at Ford has gone from "get it out there" to "put out a solid product". It shows in their quality scores.

Maybe you are right, by maybe Ford has taken this added heat into account when designing the system. Based on the tests they have done, I would guess that they have.

And let's not bring the Super Duty into the discussion, or Macks, or Peterbuilts, etc...the PSD is built to tow upwards of 20k lbs...the F150 is built to tow, at max, 11,300. There is a HUGE difference!

I anxiously await more info from the OP...
As do I, and I was just using the Super Duty and Class 8 manufacturers as an example because there is nothing in the 1/2 ton light truck class that is even close to the EcoBoost that is comparable. I guess I took the long way to say that the cooling system is poorly equiped to deal with the heat generated by two turbo chargers under severe towing conditions.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can the two guys that have had issues list the trim of their trucks and if they have anything on the front that would block the airflow through the grill or intercooler?

I ask for the model because there are different grills for each one. I'm thinking that one might flow more air than another one. I'd like to apply a little bit of reasoning to this instead of the typical knee jerk reactions. Can you answer these questions?

Model:
Ambient Temp:
% Humididy:
How well was the A/C working:
Trans temp:
Elevation:
Anything on the front of the truck:
Time of day:

It seems like both of you hit the perfect storm, near max weight, high elevation, high temps and high RH. If there is a problem with the truck's design or your truck in particular this is where it will be seen. I know it was 115* here and I had no problems with any of the cooling functions. I checked my trans temp on the way home and it was ~195* like always.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Wookie;4648145]Can the two guys that have had issues list the trim of their trucks and if they have anything on the front that would block the airflow through the grill or intercooler?

I ask for the model because there are different grills for each one. I'm thinking that one might flow more air than another one. I'd like to apply a little bit of reasoning to this instead of the typical knee jerk reactions. Can you answer these questions?

Model:
Ambient Temp:
% Humididy:
Trans temp:
Elevation:
Time of day:

It seems like both of you hit the perfect storm, near max weight, high elevation, high temps and high RH. If there is a problem with the truck's design or your truck in particular this is where it will be seen. I know it was 115* here and I had no problems with any of the cooling functions. I checked my trans temp on the way home and it was ~195* like always.[/QUOT

I have the Lariat 157" wb. Oat was 74*. Over 4000lbs below max tow limit at just under 7000lbs. Very low humidity. Unrestricted air in front of me. Just under 11,000 ft when it happened. Trans temp maxed at 205... normal is about 195.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Can the two guys that have had issues list the trim of their trucks and if they have anything on the front that would block the airflow through the grill or intercooler?

Model:
Ambient Temp:
% Humididy:
Trans temp:
Elevation:
Time of day:

It seems like both of you hit the perfect storm, near max weight, high elevation, high temps and high RH. If there is a problem with the truck's design or your truck in particular this is where it will be seen. I know it was 115* here and I had no problems with any of the cooling functions. I checked my trans temp on the way home and it was ~195* like always.
There have been some that have already found out the consequences of relocating their license plates to the center and some others that installed bull bars....usually mileage will suffer first as an indicator of the engine running running warmer than usual

Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I dont want to stir this in a different path but doesnt the 195* seem a little high for the tranny. Maybe its just me. I know its not a dangerous temp to run just a little higher than I thought it would be.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Micheal
I dont want to stir this in a different path but doesnt the 195* seem a little high for the tranny. Maybe its just me. I know its not a dangerous temp to run just a little higher than I thought it would be.
That's pretty much where the '09+ trannies have been running IIRC. Also, that's not much higher than my '05 ran.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost