2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone else's 2011 F150 AC system suck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
I will say that #10 happens in almost every new vehicle I'm in. Its a result of having a tightly sealed cabin. I've been in Dodge trucks, GM trucks, and they all air-hammer when you open a single window. It even talks about it in the owner's manual. My truck also does #6, but it is supposed to as part of the stability control. It is the anti-lock braking system activating to help prevent fishtailing and loss of control. My 09 did it, my 2012 does it. #9 - The 6 speed electronic transmission does a LOT of software checking during startups. Personally I seldom have the need to throw it into gear quickly after startup, since I crank, then put on my seatbelt. Transmission always shifts immediately. Maybe a routine change and it won't be an issue for you in the future.

Find a new dealer, the one you are using is burnt up, and you aren't going to get good service out of them. Also, I wouldn't go into the new dealer with a long shopping list. Let them address a few items, and if they are successful, let them fix your other complaints. Ford won't be able to solve all of the problems on your list, if you can't live with it, trade or sell the vehicle. Good luck!

-Andy
I can, and have learned to live with #10.

#6 - Isnt stability control on mine. It does it at a crawl in a muddy driveway when in 2wd when the rear end is spinning at a slightly faster rate than the front wheels are turning.

#9 - Changing my routine will not fix the transmission, just avoid the issue. It still chatters when upshifting & downshifting.

They cant fix all the problems? I look at it like this... when I go spend this type of money, ask all the questions I asked, and all I was told was how good of quality this truck is etc.... then they better fix it.

I get tired of being told "too bad" after I buy something. If they cant fix them, they need to get out of the business all together, or get sued until they put a quality product out.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
In overall performance it's no where near the flash freezer/convection oven that my '98 Scab was equipped with...

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Well an update to my ac issue. When I bought the truck it had a centered front license plate holder on the front bumper. I was reading in this forum elsewhere and found out that you are not suppose to have anything covering the intercooler hole in the middle of the bumper. So I went out and took the tag plate off and low and behold for whatever reason my ac gets down to 43-44 at the vents in 110 temps and down to 42 at night. Go figure! Coincidence or not I'll take those temps any day over the 50-55 degrees I was seeing.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Are the F250 A/C systems similar to the F150's? I am in Houston and I have to park on the top of a 3 story parking garage that can roast a pig and cook eggs, so that everyone in the building can have their own bacon and egg omelet. I am in the Market for a new F150/F250. I have test drove the F250 with the heated and cooled seats and boy was I a happy camper with the cooling performance I almost pulled the trigger on it, but really do not need that much truck...But I can't live w/o FROSTBITE inducing A/C in August.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM
I've had several F-150's in the last few years( a '05, '06 and now this '12). The AC always kinda sucks. The temp out of the vent is cool but not chilling. During around the same time, I've had 4 Subaru's ('04 WRX, '06 Tribeca, '09 WRX, '11 Outback) a Mazda (''03 Protege5) and drove our shop truck ('06 Dodge Ram). The temp out of the vent of all of these have been ICE COLD. I'm not sure why the F-150's don't blow very cold air, but I now have AC seats, so it does't bother me anymore. Plus, if that is the worst thing I don't like about the truck, then I'm doing pretty good. Just my $0.02

Old 09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
All I can say my '11 F150 freezes you out vs. my '10 Expedition.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I'm amazed, and sorry, that you are having sooooo many problems with your truck. Mine has been flawless in every way. I even got lucky with a great dealership. Speaking of dealership, Sounds like you got a lemon and the dealer knew it was a lemon, and unloaded it any way they could. I sold Fords for a time a few years ago. On new vehicles I sometimes had to do a "Minny" deal. I only made 50 bucks on those, really. Only 50.00 commission. But, it was because the vehicle was on the lot for an extremely long time. And that was usually because the vehicle was plagued with an issue. I made it up when possable with add ons like accessories and extended warranties. My point being, check your local lemon laws, and I think there may be a federal lemon law website. Call directly to Ford. I did when I ordered my F150. The dealer said six weeks or so for delivery, was over three months. I called directly to Ford and got a call back from the corporate office in days, and then they stayed in contact with me by email until I took delivery. Ford usually stands by thier product. Aside from the truck issues, it sounds like a dealer bullcrap issue.

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-02-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: my spelling still stinks
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM
The majority of people that say their AC works fine live in northern states. I'm not trying to start a fight here, but having lived in the south my whole life, I have travelled up to a few northern states and the temps/humidity in August don't even come close to how unbearable it can be on the Gulf Coast. I roll my windows down after work and it feels like I'm driving in an oven.... It feels hotter here than Iraq. Just my .02.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeah the AC on my 2011 F150 Screw sucks too! Not good sitting in traffic. 55-60 degrees is the most it will put out. Once you are moving it will settle out around 48-50 degrees on 100 degree day. My 2007 Chevy would freeze you out, but I would not buy another Government Motors Truck. Love every thing about the F150 except for the weak AC

Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by brazzeal15
The majority of people that say their AC works fine live in northern states. I'm not trying to start a fight here, but having lived in the south my whole life, I have travelled up to a few northern states and the temps/humidity in August don't even come close to how unbearable it can be on the Gulf Coast. I roll my windows down after work and it feels like I'm driving in an oven.... It feels hotter here than Iraq. Just my .02.
Mine works great and I've never had it out of Texas. On the 100 plus days, I start out with the fan on high and as it cools down, drop it back until it's on the first level, most of the time. Somestimes takes a few minutes to get the big hot space of a black Screw cooled, but it will freeze you out if you go far enough.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by kinkaid
Are the F250 A/C systems similar to the F150's? I am in Houston and I have to park on the top of a 3 story parking garage that can roast a pig and cook eggs, so that everyone in the building can have their own bacon and egg omelet. I am in the Market for a new F150/F250. I have test drove the F250 with the heated and cooled seats and boy was I a happy camper with the cooling performance I almost pulled the trigger on it, but really do not need that much truck...But I can't live w/o FROSTBITE inducing A/C in August.
I don't know about the newer trucks, but my '00 Superduty has a huge Engine-driven 10 bladed fan behind the radiator with a really good fan clutch. It's Air cools much better than my F150. I'm thoroughly convinced the problem is in the airflow through the condenser core. Once up to speed my F150 will freeze you out of the cab, but stuck in Austin traffic on a hot day it just can't get the job done. My Crown Vic's E-fan moves MUCH more air and it cools like a champ sitting dead still.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I just got my '12 FX4 on Friday, and the air gets cold, but nothing like the freezer my '06 silverado put out that I traded in. I have the cooled seats in my new truck which helps, so I don't think it will bother me much.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Well they haven't made the 2013 models any better. Still sucks compared to every other a/c unit I have ever had. This might be the reason that I go back to chevy. I cannot stand being hot. And Ford could care less if you have an issue. They are selling so many trucks, that if they loose a 100 customers are so, big deal. They don't care. They certainly don't care about their customers for sure.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I had enough of Ford's "cheesy specs", part of which was 57 degree air at the vents, being within their specs. Ford (and the dealer) thought they would just keep putting meoff till my warranty ran out, and not have to deal with me. As many problems as I had with my F150, I wasnt going to allow that. I filed a complaint with my attorney general, and a month later the dealer went from "those are problems that are within specs/we cant fix... you will just have to live with them as characteristics of the truck".... to buying my truck back for full price, plus the $2,000 in after market parts I had installed. Its funny how they changed their tune once the A.G. got involved. It also proves how screwed up my truck was, and that they knew of these issues, and couldnt fix them. If they could have fixed them, it would have been easier to spend $5,000 to even $10,000 to fix it, rather then buy it back at full price. Shame is, they probably just put it on their lot and sold it to some unsuspecting person, got their money back, and screwed over yet another customer. Ill never own another Ford due to the way they treated me. I bought a Cummins that has 38 degree air at the vents, and am happy as can be :-)

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Interesting

Originally Posted by Streetglider07
Well an update to my ac issue. When I bought the truck it had a centered front license plate holder on the front bumper. I was reading in this forum elsewhere and found out that you are not suppose to have anything covering the intercooler hole in the middle of the bumper. So I went out and took the tag plate off and low and behold for whatever reason my ac gets down to 43-44 at the vents in 110 temps and down to 42 at night. Go figure! Coincidence or not I'll take those temps any day over the 50-55 degrees I was seeing.
I have a front tag with a factory mounted bracket, but my a/c seems fine. I may have to try this, thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone else's 2011 F150 AC system suck?