2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0L or 3.5 Eco-boost ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I test drove both in same exactly equiped trucks over the same route. I chose the 5.0. The turbo lag disturbed me when I punched it to pass or change lanes on the freeway. The 5.0 reponse was instantaneous. As far as power and get up and go, I could tell no difference by the seat of my pants. I am a V8 guy, I admit, but I was going to go with the EB just because of all the hype. Till I drove them both.

Last edited by Bluejay; 08-03-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to have both to drive for a week period and drove both an FX4 3.5 EB for about 1000 miles and then drove a Platinum 4x4 w/ same rear end as FX4, but with the 5.0L for about 1200 miles. I drive A LOT for work and the dealer took my trade in thinking my truck was going to be ready a lot sooner than it was. When it took longer than expected, they had to let me keep one of their trucks for a lot longer than I expected.

Mileage - Aside from a weight difference and of course the engine difference, these trucks were identical. Both crew cab, both 3.73, both 4wd. FX4 had only 200 miles on it when I started and the Plat had 5,600 as it was a demo. Both got about 17-19 on the highway with a slight edge to the EB truck. I'm sure it would have gotten better as mine has already with the miles I have put on it, but it was close.

Power - with city driving and getting around town, to me, its all about the power down low and the EB blows the 5.0 out of the water in that department. There is NO denying that the 5.0L has the power up high and has a great sound to it and gets up and moves once you get up in those RPM's, but I found myself really having to force the truck up in those RPM's to get it to really get moving, especially from a stop. The EB truck this was very much not the case. There is a VERY slight delay in getting the turbos going, but that is easily driven around and dealt with once you learn how to drive a turbo vehicle. For me, and ME ONLY , the power edge and daily use and driveability definitely goes to the EB.

Noise/Sound - I may be in the minority here, but I have had everything from 1000hp Supras, to open header Trans Am's, to my 05 FX4 w/ HF cats and Roush Exhaust, to my most recent Pontiac G8 with long tubes, HF cats, and exhaust there as well. I have had my fair share of loud cars and have built MANY turbo cars. I wanted something quiet and that would just cruise easily. My wife did too and has not complained, but hasn't liked that all of my cars in the past have been noisy as can be. The power delivery and how quiet it is really sold us both on it. Even going down the highway the 5.0 was quite a bit louder and once we had been in the EB truck, we knew what was possible and didn't want it to be louder.

In the end it is ALL about personal preference and what fits you best. I am right at home with forced induction and am comfortable driving cars with smaller motors than the EB (Supra is a 3.0L I6 183c.i.) making 35+psi on turbos bigger than a dinner plate. The lag on these trucks is NOTHING even compared to other stock turbo vehicles. Kudos to Ford for going with slightly larger turbos than they maybe should have to be sure they stayed in a good effeciency range while still making good power and getting good mileage.

My 2011 FX2 EB w/ 3.55's is getting a consistent 19.5-20.5mpg highway and 17-17.8 in the city. I've already got about 2300 miles on it, so hopefully it will still improve a bit, but it's already well within its 16-22 rating that it got with the rear end I chose.

Again lets be HAPPY that we all have 3 fantastic motors to choose from that are hopefully going to be the building blocks for Ford making even bigger leaps in the future! We are on the same team here people!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I test drove both for quite awhile and went with the EcoBoost. Screw, 3.55 long bed 4WD and it can get over 20 mpg on the highway. It only has 2700 miles on it and I have yet to pull anything with any weight to it. I am still a little south of 50 years old (a couple weeks anyway) and have had my share of V8's. This thing really rocks!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Im in the process of trying to decide between the motors as well. For me the decision goes like this:
1) I want a silver, supercab, fx4, luxury package. Couple of other little options but not dealbreakers. There are none of these in the Eb package unless I get one built, so I wait 6-8 weeks. Yesterday I got a call that they found an FX4, with all the options I want, and a couple more but a 5.0L. The price is good, about $1500-2000 less than ordering one from factory.

2) I dont have anything to tow...yet. And if I do it wont be a giant 7000+ lbs trailer or RV. Maybe a 20-30" boat, or some quads or snowmobiles. So torque for towing, I think the 5.0L will suffice.

3) Gas mileage - although I'm new to the board, I've tried to read up and it doesnt seem like there's a huge difference between the two. Also speed wise, I'm ok with the slightly slower 5.0L over the EB. it's a truck, so I'm not buying it to race anyone or give myself an acceleration rush when I step on it. Again i think the 5.0L will suffice.

I test drove a 5.0L yesterday but I should really try an eco again. Of course the dealer is telling me, 'if you want this silver fx4, you gotta act nowwww before its gone.'

Old 08-03-2011, 04:27 PM
^ if you don't care or want the edge in performance get it.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
First off: My apologies, I didn't mean to start a war here. I never knew some people are so sensitive when it comes to engine choices. Like " TJ05FX4" said" We are on the same team here people. Thankyou so much sir, and all of the other members here for your very informative opinions and details about both engines and configurations. I've yet to drive either one. Just too damn busy at work...maybe on a Saturday, when I can get some time to myself. Thanks again gang.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by bcfx4
Im in the process of trying to decide between the motors as well. For me the decision goes like this:
1) I want a silver, supercab, fx4, luxury package. Couple of other little options but not dealbreakers. There are none of these in the Eb package unless I get one built, so I wait 6-8 weeks. Yesterday I got a call that they found an FX4, with all the options I want, and a couple more but a 5.0L. The price is good, about $1500-2000 less than ordering one from factory.

2) I dont have anything to tow...yet. And if I do it wont be a giant 7000+ lbs trailer or RV. Maybe a 20-30" boat, or some quads or snowmobiles. So torque for towing, I think the 5.0L will suffice.

3) Gas mileage - although I'm new to the board, I've tried to read up and it doesnt seem like there's a huge difference between the two. Also speed wise, I'm ok with the slightly slower 5.0L over the EB. it's a truck, so I'm not buying it to race anyone or give myself an acceleration rush when I step on it. Again i think the 5.0L will suffice.

I test drove a 5.0L yesterday but I should really try an eco again. Of course the dealer is telling me, 'if you want this silver fx4, you gotta act nowwww before its gone.'

Typical sales talk.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Drive em and buy the one you like....heck drive as many configurations of motors and gears as you can find...
See what tickles you the most....
Personally if it wasn't for the Ecoboost I wouldn't be driving an F150.
The 5.0L did not impress and the 6.2L is only available in certain models.
Only you as a buyer can decide what you want....I did not want another average V8....5.0L

Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I went with the 5.0 because its a legendary motor and im proud to say i have a old school v8 instead of a six banger. The EB might prove to be legendary one day as well but If your not using your truck for work or towing, the 5.0 is the clear choice here.

The v8 does sound nice, plus an aftermarket exhaust will always sound better on a v8 over a v6. I have about 5200 miles on mine now and i was getting the same mileage as the EB boys were, so dont be mislead. This motor if driven wisely isnt bad on gas.

As far as power, maybe the EB is quicker off the line, but who gives a f@#$, the 5.0 can easily hits 95 before the governor kicks in.

Like most say, test drive them both. I was hooked on the 5.0 and the first test drive.

good luck and be sure to post pics!!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLUEforLIFE
I went with the 5.0 because its a legendary motor and im proud to say i have a old school v8 instead of a six banger.
That could easily be reworded as "I have a new Twin Turbo instead of an old V8"

but If your not using your truck for work or towing, the 5.0 is the clear choice here.
Wat.

According to the EPA:

2011 Ford F150 Pickup 2WD SuperCrew 6 cyl, 3.5 L, Automatic 6-spd, Regular Gasoline
16 city/22highway- 18 combined

versus

2011 Ford F150 Pickup 2WD SuperCrew 8 cyl, 5.0 L, Automatic (S6), Regular Gasoline
14 city/19 highway- 16 combined

And actually, if you didn't use your truck for work or towing, the 3.7L would be the winner, with up to 24mpg highway

I have about 5200 miles on mine now and i was getting the same mileage as the EB boys were, so dont be mislead. This motor if driven wisely isnt bad on gas.
Well we all drive trucks and I bet if everyone on F150OL dependently calculated their MPGs, I bet the average would be about 16 mpg. That about falls in the median of just about all engine. However, if you want to split hairs, find an Eco identical to yours and run them down a stretch of interstate until they run dry and I'm sure you'll know who won.

As far as power, maybe the EB is quicker off the line, but who gives a f@#$
Looking at the population of F150OL, everybody. Unless they just like to waste money on programmers, superchargers, intakes and so on for no reason.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
I was able to have both to drive for a week period and drove both an FX4 3.5 EB for about 1000 miles and then drove a Platinum 4x4 w/ same rear end as FX4, but with the 5.0L for about 1200 miles. I drive A LOT for work and the dealer took my trade in thinking my truck was going to be ready a lot sooner than it was. When it took longer than expected, they had to let me keep one of their trucks for a lot longer than I expected.

Mileage - Aside from a weight difference and of course the engine difference, these trucks were identical. Both crew cab, both 3.73, both 4wd. FX4 had only 200 miles on it when I started and the Plat had 5,600 as it was a demo. Both got about 17-19 on the highway with a slight edge to the EB truck. I'm sure it would have gotten better as mine has already with the miles I have put on it, but it was close.

Power - with city driving and getting around town, to me, its all about the power down low and the EB blows the 5.0 out of the water in that department. There is NO denying that the 5.0L has the power up high and has a great sound to it and gets up and moves once you get up in those RPM's, but I found myself really having to force the truck up in those RPM's to get it to really get moving, especially from a stop. The EB truck this was very much not the case. There is a VERY slight delay in getting the turbos going, but that is easily driven around and dealt with once you learn how to drive a turbo vehicle. For me, and ME ONLY , the power edge and daily use and driveability definitely goes to the EB.

Noise/Sound - I may be in the minority here, but I have had everything from 1000hp Supras, to open header Trans Am's, to my 05 FX4 w/ HF cats and Roush Exhaust, to my most recent Pontiac G8 with long tubes, HF cats, and exhaust there as well. I have had my fair share of loud cars and have built MANY turbo cars. I wanted something quiet and that would just cruise easily. My wife did too and has not complained, but hasn't liked that all of my cars in the past have been noisy as can be. The power delivery and how quiet it is really sold us both on it. Even going down the highway the 5.0 was quite a bit louder and once we had been in the EB truck, we knew what was possible and didn't want it to be louder.

In the end it is ALL about personal preference and what fits you best. I am right at home with forced induction and am comfortable driving cars with smaller motors than the EB (Supra is a 3.0L I6 183c.i.) making 35+psi on turbos bigger than a dinner plate. The lag on these trucks is NOTHING even compared to other stock turbo vehicles. Kudos to Ford for going with slightly larger turbos than they maybe should have to be sure they stayed in a good effeciency range while still making good power and getting good mileage.

My 2011 FX2 EB w/ 3.55's is getting a consistent 19.5-20.5mpg highway and 17-17.8 in the city. I've already got about 2300 miles on it, so hopefully it will still improve a bit, but it's already well within its 16-22 rating that it got with the rear end I chose.

Again lets be HAPPY that we all have 3 fantastic motors to choose from that are hopefully going to be the building blocks for Ford making even bigger leaps in the future! We are on the same team here people!
Very well said i drove a 5.0 truck and felt the same way as you.Also the 420 lb.ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm of the EcoBoost IMO is what you want in a heavy truck.Plus the 365 Horsepower is at only 5,000 rpm so you don't have to spin the crap out of it.I have a 2011 F-150 Supercab 4x4,3.55 gears with the EcoBoost and i'm very happy with it so far.It's funny going up hills with the cruise set at 40 mph and it's in 6th gear at a little over 1,000 rpm.The 4.6 3V or 5.4 3V i've had before would never do that on the same hill it would kick down a gear.I also think you guys have to realise with the EPA mileage ratings who knows how long V-8 will be available.So if you want a F-150 with a V-8 you better get them while you can.

Later Mark.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Hahaha you would think people would realise what these topics lead to by now. Their both awesome engines and their both in Ford trucks (we're all on the same side guys :0 ), and even the people that have Ecoboosts' are trying to find ways to mode them or already have moded them, so saying "Looking at the population of F150OL, everybody. Unless they just like to waste money on programmers, superchargers, intakes and so on for no reason." is completely ignorant. Everyone on here is obsessed with their own truck and will always poor money into them even after paying ridicoulos prices for them or they wouldn't even care to be on the forum. Both great engines and what ever anyone decides to buy is going to be a great choice and everyone is going to be biased to what ever they have or what ever they want to have.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I am a first time Ford owner and can't speak for anyone but myself on why i choose the 5.0L even though the EB was very tempting. It really just boiled down to me not trusting a v6 with turbo over a v8. I know I might be completly off base but I could not get the fact that I would have a v6 out of my head. I also heard issues with the Transmissions on EB failing and did worry about the long term cost of turbo issues of the EB.

Again, I am not saying I am an expert by any means just sharing why I went with 5.0 over EB. I have only had my truck since Monday so I can't really say if I made the right decision yet or not but my mpg is already a lot better than my Hemi Dodge I had so I am happy. We will see when I have to pull something for the first time how I like it.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 AM
The transmission in the EcoBoost is the same as in the 5.0L.

I see all the worries people have with the newness, but after driving turbo diesels for over ten years without issue, I have no worries with them. If the EcoBoost was a retrofitted engine like the old GM diesel of the 80's, then we should be worried, but I think we'll find the EcoBoost is going to be a fantastic platform with minimal issues.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Quick Reply: 5.0L or 3.5 Eco-boost ?