2009 - 2014 F-150

Mod Vs. Warranty help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Vs. Warranty help

Im curious as how you mod your truck with out making your warranty void. My dealer is trying to void my electrical warranty for my remote start system that was installed by another dealerships installer. I was also told i could not do exhaust, lift,level or anything else or that will also void any remaining warranty. Do I just go to another dealership? I'm wondering how guys with new trucks get around this. The dealer is Mullinax Ford East, in Wickliffe Ohio.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Thats always a heated discussion. The legal response is the dealer has to prove the "mod" in one way or another caused the issue. Some dealers are better than others. My dealer, as well as many others, actually installed my 6in lift and 35's before I bought it. In their own words, they did not change any Ford specs by adding the lift and tires (not sure how that possible since obvously driveline angles, height, and tire weight/size were changed). This was a major concern of mine prior to the purchase, making sure they will still cover ball joints, bearings, etc on my truck during the warranty period. And agian they said yes, but i suspect if i go to any other dealer they may not be so open to fixing my problems.

With all that said, I have not had to do any warranty work related to the suspension and such. I also have a catback dual exhaust and did the 2wd raptor locker mod.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 AM
So i pretty much should try another Ford dealer? I have no problem doing such. I want to do mods but do not want to viod all warranty.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Another dealer for sure, some don't care "at all", where some are like this dealer where the techs don't want to do any cheap work (warranty work is based off flat rate time) so they bitch about anything non stock. you can fight it, but if you have options i'd keep trying.

now, if your wiring is all jacked up due to an aftermarket install...might be best just to pay up. or go back to the dealer/installer for the issues.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Trizzot
Im curious as how you mod your truck with out making your warranty void. My dealer is trying to void my electrical warranty for my remote start system that was installed by another dealerships installer. I was also told i could not do exhaust, lift,level or anything else or that will also void any remaining warranty. Do I just go to another dealership? I'm wondering how guys with new trucks get around this. The dealer is Mullinax Ford East, in Wickliffe Ohio.
If you still have the receipt from that dealer then there's nothing the other one can do to deny it....unfortunately you may have to fight it....but it would be best to take your truck back to the dealer that installed it.....

Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Where things get "sticky" concerning mods and warranty work is when something actually has to be done to your truck. Even though a given dealer may tell you that a given mod will not void a warranty, the truth comes out when/if you have to take your truck in for a warranty repair that could be associated with that mod.
Let's use this example.....you lift the truck, and then a ball joint goes out. You take it to the dealership to have it repaired under warranty. The dealership does the repairs, then sends off the RO (repair order) to FoMoCo for reimbursement. FoMoCo is the one who ultimately determines whether or not the repair is covered under warranty (much depends on how the dealership words the RO that is sent off to FoMoCo) and if they choose to deny the repair under warranty, then the dealer will be calling you saying "FoMoCo denied the repair under warranty, you owe us $XXX".
The obvious response from most people would be.... "The repair is done, and I'm not paying, because you (the dealership) said the lift would not affect my warranty!" You can bet at that point that just about any dealership will begin action to void that portion of your warranty, if not the entire warranty. Also, the next time you take your vehicle in for ANY repair, they will tack on whatever the previous (denied warranty repairs) charges were, and will not give you back your vehicle until the charges are paid in full.
I likely wouldn't know/understand any of this, but since purchasing my new truck, and through my Mrs. working at our local dealership, I've learned a great deal about the inter-workings of the customer/dealership/FoMoCo triangle.

It really boils down to a trust issue. I think that getting to know the important folks at the dealership, and developing a good relationship with them will go a long ways towards being confident in their words.

Here's an example: Even though I own an EB, which everyone says that if you touch it with a tuner...the warranty is gone. After discussing it with the Service Manager (who uses a tuner on his own 2010 F150), told me that as long as the tuner was used "reasonably", he would never void a warranty...but if I came in "with a piston melted to a head", I'd be on my own.
So, do I use a tuner and trust him at his word? In my case, with the relationship I've developed with him, I would say yes.
The point being, if I don't cross the threshold of being "stupid" with the mods I make, I feel comfortable that I will be taken care of. (knowing where that line is, comes from me talking to the Service Manager about any mod I might consider that could impact the warranty) If I choose to cross that line, then the old saying comes to mind "You can't fix stupid"...and I suspect the dealership would echo those words to me if I stepped over the line with mods.
I don't want to start any arguments, but saying that the dealership must prove that a specific mod caused a failure to deny warranty work just isn't how it works (even though that might be "the letter of the law").
The way it really works is that they are going to say, "The XXX mod was the cause of the failure, and therefore is not covered under warranty." Then it will be up to the owner to prove differently....while your truck is sitting at the dealership, because they will not release it, until the bill is paid. I have seen cases at our local dealership where a vehicle sat at the dealership for over a year while the owner "fought", and spent thousands of dollars, only to end up loosing, and on top of the costs associated with fighting over the repair, also forked out the the actual costs of the repairs to get their vehicle back. (this particular case involved a 2009 F350 diesel that the owner had melted a piston to the head by over using a tuner).

Lot's of variables in your initial issue about the remote start install....
-Are both entities authorized Ford dealerships?
-Are the parts that were installed genuine Ford parts?
-Was the individual who installed the remote start a certified Ford Tech?
And then, the dealership may just be one of the "butthead" dealerships who values making a buck above treating a customer "right".

Last edited by EdCaffreyMS; 08-06-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Suspended
you could always pay off the ford tech and get it claimed under warranty....

Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM
go to another dealer. my Jeep dealer would warranty driveshafts and U-joints all day long for me with my Jeep

and my ford dealer just did a warranty alignment on my leveled, with 35's truck

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 PM
I went to another dealer (2) for my remote start/ security system. They sent me to a local business for the install. Thats not the dealer (1) i bought the truck from. the dealer i bought the truck from said im on my own because i used another dealership. It seems they are bitter because another dealer (2) closer to me made the money instead of them. My truck was in for service and they noticed the alarm/remote start and said my electrical warranty would now be void. I guess I just wont go back to where i bought the truck. I also properly filled out my corporate survey after my service. I only followed the directions from dealer 2 for the starter system, and now dealer 1 is saying my warranty is void.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 PM
They also said, No exhaust, level, lift, and no bigger wheels and tires. Thats just not right. I guess I just wont go back to Mullinax ford East.
As for the questions,
Both are Ford dealerships
The truck was in for the oil change/ works package when they just noticed the security system. I only went back the the origional dealer because my first service was free. The second dealer is alot closer to me, thats why i go there now.
not sure if the installer was a ford tech, the second dealership sent me to a local shop less than a mile from them for the install. I dont think they sent me there knowing it would void a warranty an a brand new truck.

Last edited by Trizzot; 08-06-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Trizzot
I went to another dealer (2) for my remote start/ security system. They sent me to a local business for the install. Thats not the dealer (1) i bought the truck from. the dealer i bought the truck from said im on my own because i used another dealership. It seems they are bitter because another dealer (2) closer to me made the money instead of them. My truck was in for service and they noticed the alarm/remote start and said my electrical warranty would now be void. I guess I just wont go back to where i bought the truck. I also properly filled out my corporate survey after my service. I only followed the directions from dealer 2 for the starter system, and now dealer 1 is saying my warranty is void.
That sux that your getting caught in the middle of two competing dealers....

If the one dealer that farmed out your system is going to help you out, then that's the one I'd stay with

Old 08-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by marshal
go to another dealer...and my ford dealer just did a warranty alignment on my leveled, with 35's truck
How did you know it needed to be aligned?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
How did you know it needed to be aligned?
pulled to the left on the interstate, and i knew it could use one after i installed my Bilstein levels 15,000 miles ago

Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by marshal
pulled to the left on the interstate, and i knew it could use one after i installed my Bilstein levels 15,000 miles ago
You modfy your truck and you expect Ford/dealer to pay for it?

Not cool.

Quick Reply: Mod Vs. Warranty help