2009 - 2014 F-150

A funny letter I got from the Ford dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingement
FYI -- Part of Ford's rules for X-Plan... As part of the fixed-price schedule, Ford does not allow dealerships to "give" you any item greater than $50 dealer cost over and above the X-Plan price. If you are truly getting Linex for free, that would already be outside the rules of X-Plan. Count yourself lucky.

Have them provide the X-Plan invoice to be sure they are not charging you somewhere for the extra items and any fees above those allowed in X-Plan. My dealer had fees above the X-Plan agreement, and I had to call them on it.
All I know is I have a printed invoice of my truck order. Written at the bottom by the salesman it says that the total OTD price of the truck is $32,150 including everything (rebate, trade, etc) and he wrote that it includes Line-Ex bedliner with the UV top coat. He signed it with his name, I consider this a binding contract/agreement and expect him to adhere to it.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I don't think you are actually locked into a price until you sign the paperwork. I ordered my truck in January but I did not pick it up until the first weekend of April. The dealership did me a favor and started the paperwork on the last day of March to keep the rebates since they knew I would be in any day to pick it up. It worked out in my favor since there was a few thousand more in rebates by then.

Oh, and I received 4 or 5 letters from the salesman while I was waiting on the truck to be built. They all looked like they had been hand signed but the truth is it that it is just a form letter with a different font. Several of them offered $250 off if I would buy a vehicle from them. I took them all in and tried to get another thousand off. They only gave me $250...
Unfortunately I will miss the next round of rebates, I think they will go up for 2011, but im locked in at $3k, which is good for me.

I understand this was a form letter, I also understand it was sent to me by accident, im no dummy. But, im not in this to make friends, im in this to get the best deal for my money, so I called them out on it.

I live in a small city and deal with a small dealer, these people arent selling 100's of cars a day here. If you cant keep the name of your customer and what/if they bought straight then you need to learn a lesson.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
I think this salesman took a class, "how to **** off your customer", actually, I think he could teach it.

I called and spoke with the GM. He had no idea that I ordered a truck and I just went with it. Asked for another $500 on my trade (keeping things reasonable) and he was so excited! Said he would call me right back....

Side note. Liars, tardiness and people whom say things and do not follow up with them are one of my biggest pet peeves.

A few HOURS later I get a call from my salesman. He is calling to tell me that he has my VIN and the truck is scheduled to be built. I make no mention of the talk I had earlier and was about to hang up with him when he asked me if I spoke with his manager. I confirm that and explain the letter I got.

Now at this point if the salesman would have simply said, "We can not do anything more for you sir." I would be 100% content and have no issue with that. I am already getting a great deal on a great truck.

But no, he asks what else im interested in. Says he can not do anymore on my trade. I ask for the shop manuals, says he cant do it. I then tell him my wife's Escape is a total mess. We are having our 2nd child in 2 weeks and I would love to have it detailed and cleaned to bring our new child home in. He goes back and forth about whether he can do that or not.

Again, to repeat, if he said there is nothing more I can do for you at this point, id be OK with it and move on....

But, instead, he starts making excuses about all these people he has top call, and there is only ONE guy he trusts to do my car, blah, blah, blah....So, I call him on it. Make the calls, find that guy, make it happen. He tells me, i'll call you right back...ahh how I hate those words.

That was nearly 3 days ago, havent heard from him since.

I have made an appt. to have the car detailed somewhere else.

I will not call him back, im not going to pursue this any further, the ball is in his court. I suspect I will not hear from him until my truck arrives (ETA 9/5).

When I go to get the truck there will be some sort of survey to complete which they are totally obsessed about getting perfect marks. I guess because they are a "Diamond Dealership" or something like that. I know this because they bribed me to give them a perfect score when we bought my wifes car there, and yes, it worked then.

When I go to get the truck, and if I still have not heard from him.....wheww, its gonna get nasty in there.

So, things to understand as a salesman
1. tell the truth
2. if you say youre going to do something, do it

And yes, im a real *****, especially when it comes to spending $32,150 of my hard earned money.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

What harm is there in calling the GM back? Remind him he told you HE would call you right back, and that was several days ago. I'd ask him for my 500 again. But hey, it's your money.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Dealer installled Corsa exhaust, remote start, free oil changes for life of the vehicle...

Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
What harm is there in calling the GM back? Remind him he told you HE would call you right back, and that was several days ago. I'd ask him for my 500 again. But hey, it's your money.
I find it hard to believe they would budge on my trade anymore. I almost feel guilty getting $6k for it as it is.

Originally Posted by hammer40
Dealer installled Corsa exhaust, remote start, free oil changes for life of the vehicle...
Thanks for the suggestions. Any aftermarket exhaust on this thing sounds horrid, def. not of any interest to me. Already have remote start with the lux. pkg. and I prefer to do my own oil changes/prev. maint.

At this point, im kinda over it. My wife is nearly due and I have a TON of work to do on the house getting things ready so wasting even 10 mins. of my day bartering with some a-hole salesman is currently not on my radar.

I almost want them to think I gave up on it. And when the truck comes in hammer them.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Unfortunately I will miss the next round of rebates, I think they will go up for 2011, but im locked in at $3k, which is good for me.
I don't see how you can be locked in yet. How can you have signed a contract for the final price when you don't have a VIN yet? I know when I ordered mine this was one of the reasons they couldn't give me the exact price until I took delivery. Same thing for the rebates. I have a feeling the dealer is giving you a little more on the trade and making it up on the sale. When you sign the paperwork you should have to sign a form that shows the exact X plan price.

Having said that, if you are happy with the deal then you won at the car buying game.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 PM
To be honest, I see your point. I would email a link of this thread to the GM and owner of that dealership, with a cc to any customer service reps you can get from Ford.com.

I totally understand and agree that this is a matter of principals, saying they will call you back and not doing so makes you think that they dont really care about doing the diligence on this deal.

Good luck

Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 PM
i alway like to get a extra set of floor mats

Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 AM
I've been very fortunate with my choice of dealers. In my many years of buying new Fords I've found that buying from a dealer with the best prices is not always the most wise decision. Saving money is very important but if you’re not satisfied with the service after the sale, it can make you pretty miserable. I think it pays to visit the service department.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I don't see how you can be locked in yet. How can you have signed a contract for the final price when you don't have a VIN yet? I know when I ordered mine this was one of the reasons they couldn't give me the exact price until I took delivery. Same thing for the rebates. I have a feeling the dealer is giving you a little more on the trade and making it up on the sale. When you sign the paperwork you should have to sign a form that shows the exact X plan price.

Having said that, if you are happy with the deal then you won at the car buying game.
I do have a VIN, have had one for some time, the gentleman that posts here (SETCHAN) got it to me days before the dealer was able to.
I have the dealer order sheet that they sent to ford emailed to me. At the bottom the salesman outlined the terms of the sale, including the final OTD price. He then signed it, printed his name underneath it and attached his buisiness card. To me, this is as good as a contract, any fluctuation on their part in the form of a price increase or lack of materials clearly spec'd on the truck will cause quite a headache for said dealer/salesman. I do not forsee this to be an issue.

Originally Posted by thekanezzi
To be honest, I see your point. I would email a link of this thread to the GM and owner of that dealership, with a cc to any customer service reps you can get from Ford.com.

I totally understand and agree that this is a matter of principals, saying they will call you back and not doing so makes you think that they dont really care about doing the diligence on this deal.

Good luck
Thanks for verifying this for me. Again, I fully recognize and acknowlddge I can be a challenge to deal with when it comes to this. As a matter of fact, I pre-empted both salesman with this as I entered the dealer. However, at the same time I also said, treat me fair, be upfront and honest, and you will have me as a customer for life. Having X Plan really takes a lot out of the negotiation process, which should make these guys happy. All I ask for is some professionalism and proficiency at what they do. I know if I mess up at work I have plenty of people breathing down my neck.

Originally Posted by shortride
I've been very fortunate with my choice of dealers. In my many years of buying new Fords I've found that buying from a dealer with the best prices is not always the most wise decision. Saving money is very important but if you’re not satisfied with the service after the sale, it can make you pretty miserable. I think it pays to visit the service department.
I will make this point well known. This dealer BARELY edged out the competition, but he was lower. I have a feeling I would have received better customer service at the other one as they are a bit larger dealer. This is def. food for thought for others out there.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Just an update.

Momma is VERY close to dropping this child, so I went ahead and made an appt. to have the car cleaned somewhere else. I really wanted to have it cleaned well to install a seat cover and floor liner before putting the car seats in. So, got everything squared away there.

However, have still not heard word one from the dealer, not a call, nothing. I did impress upon the salesman how critical time was in this issue with regard to my wife.

So, im not quite sure where to go with this now. I really do not think they will give me anymore for my trade, not even a dollar, LOL. They pretty much balked at all the other suggestions I made and he even made it a point to throw it in my face that they went out of their way with the bedliner, which I do acknowledge was a sweet deal for me.

Again, it all boils down to customer service. If they sent the letter by mistake, and could not do anything else for me...then SAY SO! NO BIG DEAL!!!!!! But, they tried to work with me, and are going to end up getting bit in the butt by it. I really dont think I asked for anythig outrageous here, just a simple phone call explaining they could do no more and the issue would be resolved. I understand salesman are busy. But when someone has ordered a truck, I would be a little more attentive to that person.

Quick Reply: A funny letter I got from the Ford dealer