2009 - 2014 F-150

A funny letter I got from the Ford dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A funny letter I got from the Ford dealer

Ok, so on 8/2 I visited 2 different dealers, drove some trucks, and at the end of the day I ordered a 2011 SCREW FX4 Lux...with some other accessories, but thats besides the point.

I chose the one dealer because of the obvious, a better price, and they are going to Line-Ex it for free. The order was placed and the truck is scheduled to be built later this month and potentially delivered the first week of Sept.

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the dealer that I ordered the truck through. First off, they totally, butchered my name, which my first and last name combined TOTAL 8 letters, LOL, anyways... The letter is from the GM of the dealer, looks like a "form letter." It goes on introducing himself and states they are persistent in ensuring my complete satisfaction after the sale. In the second paragraph it gets REAL serious..LOL. This guys says he wants a CHALLENGE! He wants me to present a challenge for him to overcome for me to take delivery of the Ford F-150. Then goes on to say it can be anything; trade in value, price, terms, or a different vehicle, but to just allow him the chance.

Should I even bother with this? I feel I got a decent price on my trade, and I am locked in to my truck price via X plan. I was going back and forth about the Sony system (currently not spec'd), maybe I should try and squeeze that out of them? Not much else is really appealing to me, the lux. pkg. covers almost all the creature comforts I desire. I also felt I did well by squeezing the Line-Ex out of them. The only other aftermarket accessory im buying is an ARE Z Series cap.

Your thoughts and input are appreciated. My negotiating skills are not the best, so any advice is always welcomed.

One thing my Dad does when he buys a new truck is he makes the dealer give him a complete set of repair manuals for the truck he is buying. Maybe I should ask for that if all else fails?

So, whats should I do folks!!??

Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Go ahead and challange him, he asked for it. Challange him to take another 1k off the price.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Im gonna try something, but I feel like im going to come out empty handed.

The vibe I get from the letter is one that they send to folks whom went there, test drove something and left without buying or committing to a sale. I think they sent it to me by mistake.

But, with them butchering my name (someone whom has spent/will spend) over $50k on 2 vehicles in the last 2 years I should at least give it a shot.

Granted, im a realist. Im not going to ask for $5k off the price (im currently locked in at $32,150 OTD including all rebates and my trade). But a thousand off would make buying that cap much easier!

Keep the suggestions coming!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Did you happen to give your name to two separate salesmen, or visit a couple different times? I visited my dealer.a few times before I purchased and spoke with two different salesmen. Because of this I started getting emails and letters trying to get me back in the dealership even though I already purchased a new truck. I think because of your misspelled name they think you are a different person. But since you have x plan, your going to have to haggle with accessories or extended warranties or something, since x plan is a set price. Either way, can't hurt to try, good luck.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
challenge him to throw in a mustang

a buy one get one deal lol

that's realistic....right?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
"im currently locked in at $32,150 OTD..."

I don't know where you live, but I was coming for a visit and you were taking me truck buying. Then I realized you had the x-plan and a trade.

I could be completely off, but to me that seems like an awesome price! Congrats!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I would go for the shop manuals for sure but I surely would not be overly optimistic about getting your truck the first week of September. I have heard rumors there was or is going to be a shortage of Navigation systems with new orders. I ask the sale manager at my hometown dealer and he said he had heard nothing on the subject.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
Did you happen to give your name to two separate salesmen, or visit a couple different times? I visited my dealer.a few times before I purchased and spoke with two different salesmen. Because of this I started getting emails and letters trying to get me back in the dealership even though I already purchased a new truck. I think because of your misspelled name they think you are a different person. But since you have x plan, your going to have to haggle with accessories or extended warranties or something, since x plan is a set price. Either way, can't hurt to try, good luck.
I worked with 2 different salesman, 1 was the internet guy and the other the "truck guy". However both were present and aware during the final workings of the deal and the order. what makes this letter even more funny is the fact that it came from the General Manager and he signed it in ink. Ill be using that for leverage (he doesnt know who just ordered a $32k truck from his dealership!!??)

Originally Posted by fdimeroller
challenge him to throw in a mustang

a buy one get one deal lol

that's realistic....right?
Only if its a Shelby GT500, other wise, im not interested.

Originally Posted by bryan8252
"im currently locked in at $32,150 OTD..."

I don't know where you live, but I was coming for a visit and you were taking me truck buying. Then I realized you had the x-plan and a trade.

I could be completely off, but to me that seems like an awesome price! Congrats!
I think I did well overall. X plan got me to $40 and change, $3k of rebates and $6k for my trade, which is where I think I did very well for my rust bucket of a truck! Plus they are going to have Line-Ex put in for free, im happy with the current deal. But would be happier with an even lower price! Yes, im greedy.

Originally Posted by shortride
I would go for the shop manuals for sure but I surely would not be overly optimistic about getting your truck the first week of September. I have heard rumors there was or is going to be a shortage of Navigation systems with new orders. I ask the sale manager at my hometown dealer and he said he had heard nothing on the subject.
The gentleman that provides the truck "tracking" here gave me a tentative delivery date of 9/5. I understand that is subject to change, but I am scheduled to begin build on 8/25. This falls closely in line with what the dealer told me as well. I did not order the factory nav., its an absurd price for something I would rarely use.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Go for the bed cap/cover of your choice then, if they get a better deal .... OK.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Were not greedy it's our hard earned money,it's not what you make it's what you keep. Go for the topper and smack his letter down on the table and say "show me how big your ***** are" lmao

Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
st a small heads up, line-x has two product lines. Line-x and Line-R. I believe it is the same material, just different thickness and different warranties. The dealers usually almost always go with the cheaper of the two. I would ensure they were spending the extra 100 to get the good one. Thicker is better, at least that's what I hear.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM
If you keep it small and reasonable, you can probably get quite a few things out of this challenge. Don't rule out things that won't cost the dealer much. I'm sure they have a nice vinyl "Built Ford Tough" banner that would look good in your garage or half a dozen oil filters, hats, t-shirts etc...

Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 AM
FYI -- Part of Ford's rules for X-Plan... As part of the fixed-price schedule, Ford does not allow dealerships to "give" you any item greater than $50 dealer cost over and above the X-Plan price. If you are truly getting Linex for free, that would already be outside the rules of X-Plan. Count yourself lucky.

Have them provide the X-Plan invoice to be sure they are not charging you somewhere for the extra items and any fees above those allowed in X-Plan. My dealer had fees above the X-Plan agreement, and I had to call them on it.

Last edited by kingement; 08-17-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Granted, im a realist. Im not going to ask for $5k off the price (im currently locked in at $32,150 OTD including all rebates and my trade). But a thousand off would make buying that cap much easier!
I don't think you are actually locked into a price until you sign the paperwork. I ordered my truck in January but I did not pick it up until the first weekend of April. The dealership did me a favor and started the paperwork on the last day of March to keep the rebates since they knew I would be in any day to pick it up. It worked out in my favor since there was a few thousand more in rebates by then.

Oh, and I received 4 or 5 letters from the salesman while I was waiting on the truck to be built. They all looked like they had been hand signed but the truth is it that it is just a form letter with a different font. Several of them offered $250 off if I would buy a vehicle from them. I took them all in and tried to get another thousand off. They only gave me $250...

Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 AM
I think this salesman took a class, "how to **** off your customer", actually, I think he could teach it.

I called and spoke with the GM. He had no idea that I ordered a truck and I just went with it. Asked for another $500 on my trade (keeping things reasonable) and he was so excited! Said he would call me right back....

Side note. Liars, tardiness and people whom say things and do not follow up with them are one of my biggest pet peeves.

A few HOURS later I get a call from my salesman. He is calling to tell me that he has my VIN and the truck is scheduled to be built. I make no mention of the talk I had earlier and was about to hang up with him when he asked me if I spoke with his manager. I confirm that and explain the letter I got.

Now at this point if the salesman would have simply said, "We can not do anything more for you sir." I would be 100% content and have no issue with that. I am already getting a great deal on a great truck.

But no, he asks what else im interested in. Says he can not do anymore on my trade. I ask for the shop manuals, says he cant do it. I then tell him my wife's Escape is a total mess. We are having our 2nd child in 2 weeks and I would love to have it detailed and cleaned to bring our new child home in. He goes back and forth about whether he can do that or not.

Again, to repeat, if he said there is nothing more I can do for you at this point, id be OK with it and move on....

But, instead, he starts making excuses about all these people he has top call, and there is only ONE guy he trusts to do my car, blah, blah, blah....So, I call him on it. Make the calls, find that guy, make it happen. He tells me, i'll call you right back...ahh how I hate those words.

That was nearly 3 days ago, havent heard from him since.

I have made an appt. to have the car detailed somewhere else.

I will not call him back, im not going to pursue this any further, the ball is in his court. I suspect I will not hear from him until my truck arrives (ETA 9/5).

When I go to get the truck there will be some sort of survey to complete which they are totally obsessed about getting perfect marks. I guess because they are a "Diamond Dealership" or something like that. I know this because they bribed me to give them a perfect score when we bought my wifes car there, and yes, it worked then.

When I go to get the truck, and if I still have not heard from him.....wheww, its gonna get nasty in there.

So, things to understand as a salesman
1. tell the truth
2. if you say youre going to do something, do it

And yes, im a real *****, especially when it comes to spending $32,150 of my hard earned money.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Quick Reply: A funny letter I got from the Ford dealer