2009 - 2014 F-150

Installing pioneer nav... Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing pioneer nav... Any suggestions?

I'm going to be installing a pioneer avic x920bt tomorrow or Sunday... Any helpful suggestions from anyone who has done the same?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 PM
No suggestion, but your gonna love that radio. I've got it in my 08

Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 AM
had a 910bt in a 4 runner, only suggestion is you can probably use the stock ford sirius antenna by modifiing the connection at the sirius module, I have done this several time with xplatform systems XM>Sirius and visa versa.

Make sure you check out any lockout mods so you can engage the dvd/nav input while driving. Probably grounding out one of the pins.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I just installed a pioneer p4300 DVD and it was easy... I used a 4 pin relay from autozonr to by pass the parking brake wire so you can watch DVD while driving

Old 08-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't use my sirius now, so I probably won't be too worried about hooking it back up.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Voice command with an attached iPod is pretty sweet.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm excited about the Bluetooth and iPod/iPhone integration

Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Get the Scosche dash kit instead of the Metra dash kit. The EMtra Dash kit uses an extra ring around the nav unit which doesnt look that appealing. The Scosche kit flows better.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 PM
please post some photos. very interested in seeing the end result

Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM
anyone have any input on the power wire placement? I have a help write up in Multimedia/nav.... https://www.f150online.com/forums/mu...r-wire-go.html

Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I used Metra harness adapters and the Metra Axxess to keep steering wheel controls.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey all, I finished my install earlier today in this wonderful 107 degree heat. Anyways, as can be seen from my previous post i had some issues finding a place to splice for power. I ended up pulling the coin holder (non 4wd) and finding a hot wire that i cut into and spliced. Much to my suprise it worked great! I accidently found it too, I was about to break down and send it to the audio shop to have it done. Also, i used the Metra kit that everyone said i shouldnt use.... well, it looks alright (keep in mind this is a major upgrade for me to have double din nav) but not factory. I may look into the other kit everyone on here has talked about later on it the Metra starts to bother me. As far as the AVIC x920bt.. great so far!! I have only messed with it about 2 hours now, but it seems to work great!!! The Bluetooth if amazing in my opinion, (didnt have sync to compare it to). ANd i lok that i can controll Pandora when im hardwired into the unit. As far as the Nav goes, i havent taked any trips yet to judge it yet, but it cant be much worse than my out dated tomtom. Anyways, here is a pic as of now.... its not a great pic, but it just so much easier to snap some shots with my iphone and not pull out my dslr. Enjoy!.... also for you audio guys, Bestby near me has a set of 5x7 alpine 7 series (does that sound right) for $39 marked down from $99... would those work for my door speakers? and if so, is that a good deal???

Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Texas, I'm a little curious about the Nav antenna. Did you truck have Serius prior to this install, and thus, had that antenna above the front passenger's seat (on the roof of course)? If so, were you able to use that antenna for the Nav antenna, or did you have to run a separate aftermarket antenna? If at all, how was the plug different from the old Serius to the required Nav input for antenna?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Texas, I'm a little curious about the Nav antenna. Did you truck have Serius prior to this install, and thus, had that antenna above the front passenger's seat (on the roof of course)? If so, were you able to use that antenna for the Nav antenna, or did you have to run a separate aftermarket antenna? If at all, how was the plug different from the old Serius to the required Nav input for antenna?
okay, let me see if i can maybe answer this for you... my truck did/does have serius, however i dont use it now so i didnt hook it up. As far as the antenna goes, the guy i bught the unit from included one when i bought it. I dont know if it is an aftermarket or came with the unit. The antenna that i used was magnetic and i just placed it in the dash on a bracket. (Someone has a picture of the placement somewhere, I just cant seem to find it now.) and from what i could tell, the Serius plug was round and the nav antenna plug was square. If you can use the Serius antenna for the nav, I am not aware of it. YOu might have to ask someone else on here or do an indepth search for it on here.
----hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Installing pioneer nav... Any suggestions?