2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost, boost gauge install....(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost, boost gauge install....(pics)

OK, since I could not find a boost gauge write up anywhere on the net for an Ecoboost F150, I decided to do my own to help others out. I wanted to hide ALL wiring to keep it relatively undetectable by the dealer(other then they can see a gauge) so if I ever have any electrical problems, they can't blame it on aftermarket wiring or hack wiring.....So here is what I did:

DEFI "White Racer" electronic boost gauge...($195 shipped)

I tapped in to the vacuum/boost signal hoses here close to the manifold before the check valves.

I needed to run wires from the MAP sensor in the engine compartment to the gauge, as well as a 12v constant power wire to the Power Distribution block, so I went through the grommet here.....as inconsipicous as possible.

DEFI map sensor tucked down by the factory harness block..

12v Constant power wire to the Power Distribution block
Its the thin BLACK wire....(yes I used black for power because I was trying to hide it as best as possible.... normally I would have used red)

Power Distribution block
I ran the wire along with the factory harness and electrical taped it to the harness(just like they did from the factory). I brought the wire into the PD block from the bottom through a hole and used an empty 12v constant power slot and an insulated female 90* connector.

Mini fuse wire tap for 12v switched power, I used the spare Trailer Brake Control slot on the fusebox under the passenger side kick panel

All connections were butt spliced then covered in heat shrink tubing. Everything was completely hidden. 12V switched power wire from the fuse box was ran under the carpet across the transmission tunnel.. Sure if someone traced the wires down from the gauge, they would eventually find the hidden wiring but they would have to look closely for it. Once the pillar pod is installed, the gauge wires will be hidden as well.

TEMPORARY mounted gauge...traditional pillar pods wont work due to the tweeter and air bag, still trying to find something that will work and look good.

I will probably end up mounting it up above the tweeter due to the shape of the pillar at the base....Not sure...still thinking about that.

It took me about 4 hours to complete the project....just trying to figure out where to get power and where to run wires was the biggest pain. Hopefully now you guys can use this info and shorten the job time. Any questions, let me know...

And a short video of it in action..... I will get updated pics and a better vid posted once I get the pillar mount complete...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqzxeSLSgAY

Last edited by ajrothm; 08-20-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
you could always do a custom fiberglass mount for your gauge

Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Great writeup! I have copied it over to the Articles and How To section. Thanks for contributing to the site.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Great writeup! I have copied it over to the Articles and How To section. Thanks for contributing to the site.

Cool....

I will add some additional info as to which slots in the fuse box and power distribution block I used later on today. Hopefully I will find a pillar pod that I can use next week. There is nothing offered for a 2011 F150 and definitely not with room for the tweeter so... I'm gonna have to get creative.

I will update the thread when its done!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Please update the thread in the Articles and How To forum. It is indexed in the Other section. Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm trying to get more info on this pillar pod from Fastlane..... It is the only one I have found so far that looks to clear the tweeter....it was a prototype apparently. Nothing on their site yet.

[I PULLED THE PIC....IT WAS TOO BIG]

It looks good though... Hopefully I can get one from them Monday.

Last edited by ajrothm; 08-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:13 PM
DAMN thats big..... Not sure why that happened...... Sorry mods! hopefully you can resize it....

Old 08-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up. That is the same vacuum line I T'd my boost gauge into.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Wonder if that company has a double pillar bar and somehow put the tweeter into the 2nd spot and the gauge in the other possibly?

Old 08-20-2011, 05:16 PM

I know its old school, but that A-pillar pod is the way I would go.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
I know its old school, but that A-pillar pod is the way I would go.
X2 That's where mine is, although it's only temporarily mounted until I find a better a-pillar pod.
My boost gauge has been on the a-pillar in my Grand National for 23 years so I couldn't have it anywhere else. Taking your eyes off the road to look down for the boost gauge when you are at full boost is bad joo joo.Especially in the GN running 26 psi of boost.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
HOLY CRAP!

Please resize that picture! You're killing my computer

Old 08-20-2011, 05:47 PM
By the time I got done scrolling my carpel tunnel was acting up.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
X2 That's where mine is, although it's only temporarily mounted until I find a better a-pillar pod.
My boost gauge has been on the a-pillar in my Grand National for 23 years so I couldn't have it anywhere else. Taking your eyes off the road to look down for the boost gauge when you are at full boost is bad joo joo.Especially in the GN running 26 psi of boost.

What pillar pod are you running on the 11'?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by ajrothm
What pillar pod are you running on the 11'?
It's just a universal one I found at a local part store. It wasn't even close to fitting when I started. I did a buch of trimming and reshaped it with a heat gun to make it almost fit. That was the best I could do with it, was make it almost fit. But I'm running it until I can find something better. :o

Quick Reply: Ecoboost, boost gauge install....(pics)