2009 - 2014 F-150

Major Electrical Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Electrical Problems?

My truck (2011 FX4)has some serious electrical problems, it all started when I installed a set of Nokya H-13 headlight bulbs. First for some reason the Highbeams stopped working about 2 months after I installed the bulbs, the DRL's and Low beams still worked. Then this morning I decided to start poking around to see what was wrong, all the fuses were good etc. Im not sure if something arked or got wet during my drive in a heavy rainstorm lastnight, but now I have none of the following;

High Beam Headlights
Low Beam Headlights
Fog Lights
Daytime running lights
Signal lights
Right Side Steering wheel controls (Volume, phone etc)
Rear Window defrost
etc etc

My park lights stay on after you remove the key for about 5-10 minutes (instead of the normal 30 seconds)

And my NAV unit keeps saying something about Battery saving system isnt working

My buddy thinks it may be a body control module...Anyone else have any ideas?

Its sitting at my Ford dealer right now, hopefully they can look into it in the morning.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In scanning my repair manual, I see one of two problems, Either (and most likely) they are going to change the smart junction box, part number 14B207, or there is a short to ground, or both. The SJB is basically a hub where a bunch of your harnesses are all plugged together and married. It would sure help if you would have checked for a code before dropping it off. Code B106E is a safety code which temporarily disables output due to excessive current draw from an outside circuit. It would be accompanied by another code, one of many. Code B106F permanently disables the SJB, and you must replace it. However, it is only to be replaced after the short that caused the problem is found. It too would be accompanied by another code.

If you can get the codes, I'll look em up.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Wow, thats a pretty good explanation, how do I get these codes? I would say it sounds like Code B106E is the one thats causing me problems. Would water in my foglight socket cause this to happen?

Is warranty work for electrical problems going to be a hassle for me, afterall I did have aftermarket HID's for foglights when the problem occured...

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM
If you have aftermarket lights installed, and they turn out to be the problem, and the short is from there, then yiou will most likely have a huge problem getting warranty on the problem. You will be on the hook for all the labor, and the parts, including the box.

You should get the codes BEFORE you get the dealer to look at it. Any old scan tool can pull the codes. If you have a programmer for your truck, you can use it to pull codes, if not, alot of parts stores will scan for free, and give you the codes. I would be very sceptical of the HID fog wiring. My best suggestion is to pull your truck out of the dealer, and have a look yourself. Maybe we can help you mask the symptoms, to get it covered under warranty...... just maybe. First things first, we need the codes. If you can get them, I'll take a pic of the flow chart and wiring diagram for that section, and give you somewhere to start. The code might not be for the fog lights either, you never know. If not, then off to the dealer it goes.

I'd want to know first.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Post results when you get everything fixed.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Well I put all the stock bulbs in the head and fogs, and removed all the HID wires etc, so there is no visual proof they were ever installed in the truck...

Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
If you have aftermarket lights installed, and they turn out to be the problem, and the short is from there, then yiou will most likely have a huge problem getting warranty on the problem. You will be on the hook for all the labor, and the parts, including the box.

You should get the codes BEFORE you get the dealer to look at it. Any old scan tool can pull the codes. If you have a programmer for your truck, you can use it to pull codes, if not, alot of parts stores will scan for free, and give you the codes. I would be very sceptical of the HID fog wiring. My best suggestion is to pull your truck out of the dealer, and have a look yourself. Maybe we can help you mask the symptoms, to get it covered under warranty...... just maybe. First things first, we need the codes. If you can get them, I'll take a pic of the flow chart and wiring diagram for that section, and give you somewhere to start. The code might not be for the fog lights either, you never know. If not, then off to the dealer it goes.

I'd want to know first.
So if I just hook it up to any old Snap-On scanner it should tell me the codes? There is NO engine, warning lights on at all...

Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
I am not familiar with the limitations of snap on scanners. My instincts tell me that yes, it should read codes just fine, assuming it is current. Plug it in and find out.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Start the truck and hold the 3 and the 6 down on your stereo, it will then take you into a audio test, cancel the audio test and you can then check for any codes on your navigation screen if it will still work with all your electrical problems.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
Start the truck and hold the 3 and the 6 down on your stereo, it will then take you into a audio test, cancel the audio test and you can then check for any codes on your navigation screen if it will still work with all your electrical problems.
Yes Ive heard of this working, so if it does show me the codes, does it show the problem to? Or do I have to cross reference them to a manual somewhere?

Last edited by 2007 Loaded FX4; 08-22-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I believe it just gives you the code number and you have to look up what the code means, just post them on here. It also offers the option to clear the codes but I would not do that until I had a dealer look at it.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Ok, Its at my hometown dealer right now, They arnt going to look at it as they're "Backed up" 3 weeks in the service department (the dealer I bought the truck from is 2 hours away).

Im picking it up in a few hours and I will check the codes but I will not clear them, I'll post the codes (if any) on here and hopefully someone will be able to decifer them for me...

Thanks alot Birddog and Elbow!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I have a book of codes at home, actually I have Both book 1 and 2 2010 f150 repair manual, and a wiring diagram book. The set is about 8 inches thick...... no exaduration. We should be able to figure this out in a jiffey.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM
So even if I do find a code, how do can I get away with warranty covering it? Im really hoping the HID ballast didnt cause this problem!

Is it better to tell the dealer about the after market lights and hopefully they'll cover my A$$? Or let them figure it out and send the findings off to Engineering?

Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
Tried this, my screen isnt showing any DTC's...

Quick Reply: Major Electrical Problems?