2009 - 2014 F-150

Official 2012 F-150 Order Guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
I dont get the headrest thing. Do people actually rest their head against the headrest? Really? I find that terribly uncomfortable and not conducive to being to quickly identify hazards in the road and see all around me.

To each their own, but I find this "upgrade" of no use.
That's because you have an 01, a totally different design. People with the new F-150 will disagree.

Look at some of these comments people have postsed about the problems with the new headrests. It's so bad some are having to bend the rods? WTF. Installing the headrest backwards? Taking them out completely. Swapping the headrests for headrests from different models. Using pillows. Some get used to it. But the headrest was definitely one of the few common complaints on the new F-150. I should not have to go through any that on a $40K truck. I should be able to to adjust the pivot of the head rest for my specific ergonomics and that's what the 2012 does finally. Great little upgrade I say.

"i sure don't like the headrests on the 2009 as they point fwd. i was wondering if the 2009 is the first year they made them like that and if another year would fit thanks."

"I hate the FRONT ones! Why are they angled forward like that? Have you ever tried to put the sat back down and sleep? You can't because they push your head forward."

"They are a giant pain in the neck."

"I agree on the 09 F150 head rest, absolutely the worst. I came to the forum today hoping to find a solution that would allow me to continue using them in the manufactures intended position. No luck so far"

“I thought i was the only one with the problem. I bought my 09 F150 and picked up a few friends for work. The only thing they didnt like about the whole truck was....... thats right, the headrest.”

"was thinking of bending the posts. Anyone try this? It's the only thing keeping me from buying a 150"

"Just unbend them a little like I did. That's all you need to do."

“You will need a heady-duty vise and brute strength. I put one post at a time in the vise leaving about one half inch gap between the upholstery and the top of the vise. Then bend the post by pushing on the upholstered part. Insert the other post and do the same. It is much more comfortable now.”

“At least you can remove them or take them off to try to bend them in the Ford. I don't think you can do that in some of the other trucks.”

“hey if you do bend your chrome rods and mess them up. let me know.”

“I've got the same problem with the headrests in our 2010 F150 SuperCab. I need to sit in a "proper" position, (i.e. seat back vertical to keep correct back alignment) so tilting the seat back to keep the headrest from pushing my head forward isn't an option. I guess Ford designed the seats for people that like to recline. Anyway - back to the original question - has anyone found vertical headrests that fit the 2009-2010 F150?”

“My husband just bought the F150 and I HATE the headrest. I have taken it off, switched it around and added a travel pillow. It is made for a large man. If you aren't thick enough it pushes your head forward. When I sit up it hits my head and drives me CRAZY!! If anyone knows of a VERTICAL headrest that will fit it, I would gladly purchase a replacement. Are there any old models that might fit? I will search the Junk Yards if I know what to look for.”

“Not that I am interested in doing this, but I heard one guy put his in a vice and bent the posts so it was in a better positions.”

“Try having a ponytail with this headrest set-up, it sucks! I have my seat reclined a little bit to help it some, but I still have to sit with my head forward so my ponytail doesn't keep banging against the headrest. Sucks but one of the downsides to being a girl I guess”

“just reverb what others are saying. I can't stand it. And as a guy that works in physical therapy I get tired of seeing neck injuries from car accidents-a) they are a pain in the *** to rehab, b)sometimes the patient can milk it (not everybody so don't bash on me unless you can fill my shoes at work-and if you can then you know what I mean). So, I can see where they won't make a change in light of safety but it is really uncomfortable-I just can't recline my seat that far back to accomodate the tilted head rest. I almost get too relaxed like that and sort of zone out.

Instead of moving the headrest to fit my neck I am actually thinking about adding a small pillow to fill in the spacebetwerrn the tilted headrest and the vertical seat and just move the seat back a bit instead of reclining. might look stupid but if I get into a wreck the pillow will still compress and the headrest will do its job. I'll post a picture after I put it together.

On the flip side neck injuries do not just occur to the back of the neck there is a front of the neck too. If the neck is flexed forcefully as it would with the current 2009 headrest a flexion disc/nerve injury may still occur.

Just some thoughts.”

Quick Reply: Official 2012 F-150 Order Guide