2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsq3973
So no answer on what's causing this yet?

Wookie, what were your EGT's and boost pressures when towing?
The EGT peaked around 1300 and I think about 25psi or so with the ECT running ~220 and the EOT running ~245. This was pulling a 24 foot camper in a loaded SD up (4 adults, 4 wheeler, loaded coolers, tons of gear) just a little bit into HWY 287 between Ft. Collins, CO and Laramie, WY. When it hit 1300 we backed out of it and it held about 1100 the rest of the way up. We peaked around 8300ft or so on that pass.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford850
Can you confirm you have the largest available radiator with 51 rows of tubes rather than the next step down with 41 rows of tubes?
That's what needs to be done because the fordparts.com is wacky.

People with EcoBoost and Max Tow count your rows.
People wiith EcoBoost and Trailer Tow count your rows.

Then come back here and report your findings.

If anyone has a link to the 2011 F-150 esource book, post that as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
There is a lot to digest here. It clearly states that 51 rows of tubes is for Max Trailer Tow Package. Does the regular Trailer Tow also have 51 rows? I tend to doubt it because Ford would not have singled out in the source book that 51 rows is for the Max Tow Package.

That was my understanding as well, but some disagree.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
That's what needs to be done because the fordparts.com is wacky.

People with EcoBoost and Max Tow count your rows.
People wiith EcoBoost and Trailer Tow count your rows.

Then come back here and report your findings.

If anyone has a link to the 2011 F-150 esource book, post that as well.
Or we could just find the parts number tag on the radiator and compare them to the Ford parts lists. I found it on the driver's side on the top just under the plastic fan shroud. Just lift up the corner and there should be a white tag there that lists the part number. Just follow the wire bundle across and the tag is right there.

Mine was:
BL34-8005-EB
888-26-7494-3108
Supplier Code: B281H

The rest is just the date and time the part was made.

This is on a Platinum EB with 3.55 non-Max tow truck. I have a feeling there might be a couple of different options that will put the larger radiator on the truck.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 AM
At this point I don't care too much about which trucks are SUPPOSED to get the largest cooler. My question is, of those who have had cooling issues with a tow package, how many rows of tubes does YOUR radiator have?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
At this point I don't care too much about which trucks are SUPPOSED to get the largest cooler. My question is, of those who have had cooling issues with a tow package, how many rows of tubes does YOUR radiator have?
Mine has 51 tubes. Granted this is using math, because I'm not going to rip my truck apart to settle some internet argument. I measured the height of the radiator then measured the number of tubes per inch. It works out to exactly 51 tubes.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by 1depd
Mine has 51 tubes. Granted this is using math, because I'm not going to rip my truck apart to settle some internet argument. I measured the height of the radiator then measured the number of tubes per inch. It works out to exactly 51 tubes.
Can you post up the part number and options your truck has? I found the tag that has the P/N look a few posts up.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by 1depd
Thanks 1depd. I didn't intend for any of my posts to be argumentative. I believe you have the largest radiator available, as all with a tow package should. If someone who has had the overheating issue could check theirs, that would prove if they have the correct radiator or not.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Can you post up the part number and options your truck has? I found the tag that has the P/N look a few posts up.
I have the same BL number. The rest will have to go out and look. I can do it later, but right now I'm busy.

Thanks 1depd. I didn't intend for any of my posts to be argumentative. I believe you have the largest radiator available, as all with a tow package should. If someone who has had the overheating issue could check theirs, that would prove if they have the correct radiator or not.
I didn't mean to imply your posts were argumentative. You posted a very simple and concise explanation from the source book. Others were have trouble reading and comprehending what you wrote, saying it was confusing. Fordparts.com supported what you wrote out, yet people were still saying they were confused. That is why I said they were using a lawyers argument. With how confused most lawyers are in court, they could not have made it through law school.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I didn't read every post on this thread but after going back and reading the OP again I realized he said he was using 91 octane fuel. That is part of the problem that could have contributed to the over-heating. A lot of folks have the wrong understanding about the octane in fuel. Higher octane is formulated for higher compression engines. Higher octane fuel actually has a lower flash point than lower octane fuel. 91 octane fuel having a lower flash point could cause the engine over-heating. You will not get more power using higher octane fuel.

I don't have an owners manual in front of me but I don't think it recommends 91 octane gasoline.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by shortride
I didn't read every post on this thread but after going back and reading the OP again I realized he said he was using 91 octane fuel. That is part of the problem that could have contributed to the over-heating. A lot of folks have the wrong understanding about the octane in fuel. Higher octane is formulated for higher compression engines. Higher octane fuel actually has a lower flash point than lower octane fuel. 91 octane fuel having a lower flash point could cause the engine over-heating. You will not get more power using higher octane fuel.

I don't have an owners manual in front of me but I don't think it recommends 91 octane gasoline.
Uhhh ....no. 91 octane is not the cause of the overheating shelby describes.

Higher octane allows for more advanced timing and more power per unit of fuel.

True not needed under a light load, but every manufacturer recommends high octane when towing - so much so that many mfgrs publish a high an low octane HP and torque rating.

Uncle Dave

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Ford specifically recommends high octane fuel in the Ecoboost when towing. They also recommend it under all conditions for improved performance, you WILL get more power. Remember, you are dealing with forced induction.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Uhhh ....no. 91 octane is not the cause of the overheating shelby describes.

Higher octane allows for more advanced timing and more power per unit of fuel.

True not needed under a light load, but every manufacturer recommends high octane when towing - so much so that many mfgrs publish a high an low octane HP and torque rating.

Uncle Dave
Originally Posted by glc
Ford specifically recommends high octane fuel in the Ecoboost when towing. They also recommend it under all conditions for improved performance, you WILL get more power. Remember, you are dealing with forced induction.
+1 Towing needs higher octane, especially for forced induction.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by shortride

Quote from the 2011 owners manual:

Octane recommendations
3.7L V6/5.0L V8/6.2L V8 engines
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel. Premium fuel
will provide improved performance.
3.5L V6 EcoBoost™ engine
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of
87 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using
premium fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty
applications such as towing a trailer.

The engine management systems of these newer vehicles is pretty far advanced even compared to vehicles built in 2008.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
while i read the above ford technical document as only the max tow packages get the 51 row radiator, i was curious since so many without that option with ecoboost engines say they have them.

i opened the hood (10 seconds), counted to 41 (30 seconds, i took my time), and confirmed that in fact my regular tow package fx4 ecoboost has the 41 row radiator. kinda stinks, as i was hoping to have the biggest, but, unless i have overheating issues when towing heavy loads i'm not too worried about it.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Overheating.