2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same problem at about 35,000 miles. Finally cured at 43,000 miles. Ford first replaced the thermostat. No luck. Then replaced the RADIATOR. Problem solved. At least for now. Towing 8700 lb. trailer up long grades. No overheat when not towing.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Heating issues

Originally Posted by dsq3973
The engine is a Land Rover design that they call a wet sleeve if I remember correctly when Patman commented on it in the other thread. The gears have been turning in my mind on this and there are three things that keep coming up. I really wish one these guys would put pyrometers on a truck and get some EGT numbers and maybe an air charge temp gauge to see if the intercooler is cooling the air charge back down enough to be usable.

1. Is Ford using wide band O2 sensors to regulate the fuel/air mixture fast enough and is the PCM even capable of reading wide bands?

2. The liquid cooled turbos, that is alot of heat to be throwing into a cooling system especially if you are towing and you have a smaller radiator and intercooler.

3. I wonder what would happen if someone were to replumb the intercooler system with a larger intercooler or use methonal injection to cool the air charge back down like they do on pulling and drag racing diesels.
I did a full race inter cooler with bbk throttle body, was pulling my 30' work n play camper this weekend and was hitting 245 coolant temp and my air intake temp was running 80 degrees with and outside temp of 77. Also all flat grade

Old 09-09-2016, 01:36 AM
EcoBoost Overheating

I have 2011 F-150 EcoBoost that has 70,000 plus miles and not until last month did I have any over heating issues. I have pulled my travel trailer across the U.S. and back to California without any problems. Last month I was pulling up a grade and the engine over heated, just as described above. The only thing I noticed was that when the outside temperature got below about 80 degrees, the problem did not reoccur. Does Ford have any suggested fixes for this issue?

Old 09-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wiley1
I have 2011 F-150 EcoBoost that has 70,000 plus miles and not until last month did I have any over heating issues. I have pulled my travel trailer across the U.S. and back to California without any problems. Last month I was pulling up a grade and the engine over heated, just as described above. The only thing I noticed was that when the outside temperature got below about 80 degrees, the problem did not reoccur. Does Ford have any suggested fixes for this issue?
Have you had your dealer check out your F-150 EcoBoost for the overheating, wiley1? Send over a PM with your VIN, and I'll look through my resources for any information.

Rachel

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Overheating.