2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am betting on a bad sensor. Nothing wrong with the cooling, always cools down right away. These types of complaints can be really hard to chase down. And because of the bad sensor, the pcm is sending the engine into limp home mode. Hopefully some motivated tech will take the time to figure it out soon.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Three seperate trucks all of them, towing heavy trailers, pulling steep grades, and they all overheat??? There is more than a sensor causing this problem and I would bet there are more out there having the same problem we just have not heard about it yet.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Three seperate trucks all of them, towing heavy trailers, pulling steep grades, and they all overheat??? There is more than a sensor causing this problem and I would bet there are more out there having the same problem we just have not heard about it yet.

You beat me to the punch. This is the 3rd owner that has reported this concern. I can guarantee Ford Engineer's have heard about this. Especially, if two other EB's have been in the dealership for the same issue.

It sounds as if the steep grades in extreme heat is a problem. The Turbo's are most likely under full boost and they are going to heat up very quickly.

I hope the EB owners get this taken care of.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
You beat me to the punch. This is the 3rd owner that has reported this concern. I can guarantee Ford Engineer's have heard about this. Especially, if two other EB's have been in the dealership for the same issue.

It sounds as if the steep grades in extreme heat is a problem. The Turbo's are most likely under full boost and they are going to heat up very quickly.

Ford watches these forums pretty close....but they won't step in to offer any help....

Best advice to the op is to bring it in and get it documented....

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue07STX

This is why I never buy into a new powertrain technology until the bugs get worked out! I refuse to be Fords guinea pig!............

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I have seen 3 different threads about overheating. Of all the EB trucks out there, 3 overheat problems, thats not too bad. Yes I know it isnt right. But think about all the 6.0L and 6.4L diesel problems when they came out. Also, no one has said how hard they are running the trucks. I have also noticed that 2 are in the state of arizona where the temperatures are alot warmer than most states. Not saying that Ford doesnt have a problem. Just seems like the issues are on that side of the US.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 AM
"The EcoBoost engine option is now accounting for 36 percent of F-150 sales. The EcoBoost engine also now has a 40 percent take rate when it comes to new dealer orders."

Point being; if this was a major issue there would be more than three reports. Also one of the guys who reported this issue did the same pass with no overheating issue.

Could be as simple as bad or poor gas quality.

I tow a heavy boat on a regular basis, although never at high altitudes, I've been in 100+ degree weather while towing and never had any hiccups.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by nathan08fx4
I have seen 3 different threads about overheating. Of all the EB trucks out there, 3 overheat problems, thats not too bad. Yes I know it isnt right. But think about all the 6.0L and 6.4L diesel problems when they came out. Also, no one has said how hard they are running the trucks. I have also noticed that 2 are in the state of arizona where the temperatures are alot warmer than most states. Not saying that Ford doesnt have a problem. Just seems like the issues are on that side of the US.
This a completely new drive train for Ford in the F150 and like I said before, I would put money on other trucks out there having these problems because not everyone out there know's that these forums exist. I will ask again, is anyone running pyrometers in one of these trucks to see what the temps of the turbos are running at when the trucks overheats? I am guessing with out any real info to go on that they are through the roof and well over 1300*F.

Edit: Just an after thought, were all three of these trucks using cruise control when towing these grades?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I am excited to get my new EB. Once I get it and get it broke in, I will keep everyone posted on how mine does. I run my trucks hard, loaded or unloaded. SO, I am sure if mine has the over heat problem, it will show itself. I dont believe all EB owners are going to see this issue.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
I wonder why they couldn't rewrite the programming to simply cut the boost back and dump more fuel when it starts to overheat? That's a lot less severe than throwing it into limp mode.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I wonder why they couldn't rewrite the programming to simply cut the boost back and dump more fuel when it starts to overheat? That's a lot less severe than throwing it into limp mode.
More programing+more time in R&D= less profit.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM
The EcoBoost turbos are water cooled, unlike the Strokes. I doubt they are reaching anywhere near 1300 degrees.

After driving smokers for about 13 years, I'm betting these three cases are the exceptions, and the failsafes are working as they should by shutting down. I certainly wouldn't base history on these three cases - especially with all the variables.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
On the other hand, putting the truck into limp mode is the most sure way to protect the motor and let the driver know there is a heating issue. It all depends on how you look at it.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
The EcoBoost turbos are water cooled, unlike the Strokes. I doubt they are reaching anywhere near 1300 degrees.

After driving smokers for about 13 years, I'm betting these three cases are the exceptions, and the failsafes are working as they should by shutting down. I certainly wouldn't base history on these three cases - especially with all the variables.
Smokewagun, I am not basing history on these three cases but with the amount of Ecoboost powered trucks on the road the probability of this happening again is pretty substantial considering what these trucks were built to do and that people are using them to tow V-8 only territory loads. There is a reason why these three have overheated and yes I know they are water cooled I worded that poorly I should have said EGT's instead of turbo temps I am just really curious what the EGT's are when this happening.

I know they are not diesel but the basic turbo charger principles still apply, as you increase the boost, you need to increase the fuel to generate heat to spin the turbo to compress the air which generates heat all on it's own on top of exhaust gas temps. The intercooler is supposed to be cooling the air but the pictures I have seen of the intercooler on the Ecoboost's they are a quarter of the size of what I have seen in super charged trucks or a smokers. The hotter the charge air going into the engine the leaner it's going to run on a gas powered truck and then your exhaust temps go up because the engine is running lean. I understand they are completely different than a diesel but the principles of turbo charging still applies to them and can be even more touchy just because they are gasoline and behave completely differently because you can not lean out a diesel like you can a gasoline engine.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by nathan08fx4
I have seen 3 different threads about overheating. .
yes, but how many of these EB owners actually have towed 6k pounds? probably not many.

if you are actually towing i don't get how you cannot add a pyrometer to the truck, same with tuning one. most people who are buying these aren't aware that you need to monitor exhaust gas temp on a turbo'd vehicle.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Overheating.