2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Smokewagun, I am not basing history on these three cases but with the amount of Ecoboost powered trucks on the road the probability of this happening again is pretty substantial considering what these trucks were built to do and that people are using them to tow V-8 only territory loads. There is a reason why these three have overheated and yes I know they are water cooled I worded that poorly I should have said EGT's instead of turbo temps I am just really curious what the EGT's are when this happening.

I know they are not diesel but the basic turbo charger principles still apply, as you increase the boost, you need to increase the fuel to generate heat to spin the turbo to compress the air which generates heat all on it's own on top of exhaust gas temps. The intercooler is supposed to be cooling the air but the pictures I have seen of the intercooler on the Ecoboost's they are a quarter of the size of what I have seen in super charged trucks or a smokers. The hotter the charge air going into the engine the leaner it's going to run on a gas powered truck and then your exhaust temps go up because the engine is running lean. I understand they are completely different than a diesel but the principles of turbo charging still applies to them and can be even more touchy just because they are gasoline and behave completely differently because you can not lean out a diesel like you can a gasoline engine.
Well explained.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
dsq3973,

No disagreement here, and yes, well put.

Thinking it over, the inherit property of gasoline engines running at a hotter temperature than diesels should dictate the need for more substantial cooling.

I wonder if the expectation was the aluminum structue of the EcoBoost was to dissipate heat quicker, when maybe it doesn't.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
The EcoBoost turbos are water cooled, unlike the Strokes. I doubt they are reaching anywhere near 1300 degrees.
I take it you didn't see the torture test video on the dyno where the manifold was glowing? and since the turbos are mounted directly to the manifold, they are going to get extremely hot whether they have coolant running thru them or not.

Not saying that it is a bad thing as they are designed for it.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
dsq3973,

No disagreement here, and yes, well put.

Thinking it over, the inherit property of gasoline engines running at a hotter temperature than diesels should dictate the need for more substantial cooling.

I wonder if the expectation was the aluminum structue of the EcoBoost was to dissipate heat quicker, when maybe it doesn't.
The engine is a Land Rover design that they call a wet sleeve if I remember correctly when Patman commented on it in the other thread. The gears have been turning in my mind on this and there are three things that keep coming up. I really wish one these guys would put pyrometers on a truck and get some EGT numbers and maybe an air charge temp gauge to see if the intercooler is cooling the air charge back down enough to be usable.

1. Is Ford using wide band O2 sensors to regulate the fuel/air mixture fast enough and is the PCM even capable of reading wide bands?

2. The liquid cooled turbos, that is alot of heat to be throwing into a cooling system especially if you are towing and you have a smaller radiator and intercooler.

3. I wonder what would happen if someone were to replumb the intercooler system with a larger intercooler or use methonal injection to cool the air charge back down like they do on pulling and drag racing diesels.

Last edited by dsq3973; 08-31-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 PM
if the truck spent 24 hours running wide open at Homestead speedway towing 11k lbs, it should be able to tow 7k up a 6% incline with no problem- something is wrong with the truck. Ford will fix it. No worries, be happy

Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
..or use methonal injection to cool the air charge back down like they do on pulling and drag racing diesels.
Something to consider is the EB is also DI. This will do about the same thing as the much cooler fuel is shot straight into the cylinder cooling the air. I understand it is not the exact same thing but the principle behind it is the same.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Something to consider is the EB is also DI. This will do about the same thing as the much cooler fuel is shot straight into the cylinder cooling the air. I understand it is not the exact same thing but the principle behind it is the same.
So are all the diesels produced today, and the diesel performance guys use methanol injection to cool the EGT's back down so they don't have a melt down.

Last edited by dsq3973; 08-31-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by truckerdude
if the truck spent 24 hours running wide open at Homestead speedway towing 11k lbs, it should be able to tow 7k up a 6% incline with no problem- something is wrong with the truck. Ford will fix it. No worries, be happy
Don't worry be happy, are you serious??? I would be livid if I spent that kind of money on a brand new truck and it couldn't perform the way they advertised it to. You must not be married because the last thing I want is to be stuck on the side of the road with a crabby wife and screaming kids in the middle of now where because my brand new truck crapped the bed.

The truck towing around the race track with a trained test driver is one thing and dragging a trailer up a 6%-7% grade in high winds and high ambient tempratures with sun beating down on the truck and asphalt with with 2 screaming kids, a crabby wife from listening to the kids scream, and trying to get up the mountain to the camp ground is another. If my brand new truck could not tow a grade with out over heating Ford would owe me a few pairs of size 12 EE Tony Lama's because I would continue to wedge them in the butt crack of Ford employees until my truck could do what it was advertised to be able do. So far from what I have seen the truck does not work the way Ford promised it would. And yes I am driving one of Fords biggest debacles to date the 6.0 PSD and guess what?? After some emissions crap mysteriously fell off the truck it runs great and the only thing left that's major is the head gaskets and I honestly don't see those going in the near future.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM
If you read the specs for the radiators/coolers, there are 3 sizes or grades. Regular, Tow, and Max Tow. The Max Tow package does give you more cooling ability over the Tow package. I wonder if this scenario (top end of 'tow package' capabilities and long steep grade under hot conditions) puts the engine under enough stress that it would need the Max Tow cooling system.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ford850
If you read the specs for the radiators/coolers, there are 3 sizes or grades. Regular, Tow, and Max Tow. The Max Tow package does give you more cooling ability over the Tow package. I wonder if this scenario (top end of 'tow package' capabilities and long steep grade under hot conditions) puts the engine under enough stress that it would need the Max Tow cooling system.
It's not really the radiator that conerns me, it's the small size of the intercooler for a twin tubo charged truck. If you look at the size of the intercooler compared to a super chared or diesel truck it's about a quarter of the size, and if you read the posts from these three they all say when they backed out of throttle the temps dropped back to normall quickly which tells me the radiator is doing it's job. But if you lean out the engine with a hot fuel/air charge it's going to run hot, very hot, and the second you take the fuel and boost away it's going to cool off quickly. This is also why most people that tow with diesels have pyrometers and other gauges, it's so they know when to back off the skinny pedal when things start getting to hot.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
More programing+more time in R&D= less profit.
they need every penny they can get to keep paying Mike Rowe

Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Two of the three reported they were NOT using premium, when their vehicles overheated/heated up.

One reported that he ran the same test using premium, under almost the same conditions, and the truck did fine.

This leaves 1 person who used premium, and had his truck overheat.

A couple of points. Poor fuel, or mislabeled fuel could have happened. It is not uncommon in the Phx area (I have only lived here for 43 of my 47 years). Why did the vehicles cool down so quickly, and why was there no fluid loss?? In an overheat situation, with very poor conditions, it takes a good deal of time to remove the heat from the system. Also, if there was an actual overheat, there should be fluid loss. One has to wonder if Ford has put an overly sensative program in, for heat, to ensure no damage what-so-ever. Or, if there is a glitch in the program. I find it interesting that noone has reported fluid loss................. in an overheating vehicle. Of course, real crappy fuel could easily cause this in the best of vehicles............... and wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, this will bear watching. Those who think few are towing with these trucks, are wrong. The days of "Joe look at me, I'm driving a truck," are pretty much over. People who spend their $30-55K are usually buying these vehicles for a reason, and it usually isn't "stylin." Thus, towing under extreme conditions is not going to be the exception.

Thus, we need to sit back and watch. If this was a large problem, you would see alot more reports of it. This has been a very hot summer, in alot of the country.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by 08SDGal
Two of the three reported they were NOT using premium, when their vehicles overheated/heated up.

One reported that he ran the same test using premium, under almost the same conditions, and the truck did fine.

This leaves 1 person who used premium, and had his truck overheat.

A couple of points. Poor fuel, or mislabeled fuel could have happened. It is not uncommon in the Phx area (I have only lived here for 43 of my 47 years). Why did the vehicles cool down so quickly, and why was there no fluid loss?? In an overheat situation, with very poor conditions, it takes a good deal of time to remove the heat from the system. Also, if there was an actual overheat, there should be fluid loss. One has to wonder if Ford has put an overly sensative program in, for heat, to ensure no damage what-so-ever. Or, if there is a glitch in the program. I find it interesting that noone has reported fluid loss................. in an overheating vehicle. Of course, real crappy fuel could easily cause this in the best of vehicles............... and wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, this will bear watching. Those who think few are towing with these trucks, are wrong. The days of "Joe look at me, I'm driving a truck," are pretty much over. People who spend their $30-55K are usually buying these vehicles for a reason, and it usually isn't "stylin." Thus, towing under extreme conditions is not going to be the exception.

Thus, we need to sit back and watch. If this was a large problem, you would see alot more reports of it. This has been a very hot summer, in alot of the country.

Good post.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 PM
So far from what I have seen the truck does not work the way Ford promised it would.
You're basing this statement off 3 reports out of how many EBs sold?

Even the OP of this post didn't actually overheat.

As stated "When I got to about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle the temp guage started moving up FAST very FAST. I was amazed. I backed of a little bit on the throttle and the temp started to come down slowly."

That to me doesn't say the truck actually overheated.

One of the other guys said he made the same pass and had no issues.

If I lived out west I'd be glad to video test the towing up any mountain pass with a full load with the EB. I'd like to see this happen first hand. I also think if it was a major issue having this test done would make Ford liable. As far as towing in my area the truck has been flawless.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Took it in to the dealer this morning to have the over heating checked and the AC as it blows cool but not cold. This service trip did not start off well. I got a very touchy service writer. He started telling me why my air was OK before he even looked at it, high dew point and so on. The out side temp was in the low 80's. He finally got a thermometer and checked it then he shut up! Next he said he probably could not diagnose the overheating as he could not duplicate the problem. I was getting a little angry as his boss told me to bring it in so they could look at it, but I bit my tongue. He can check the fans and if they are working at high speed, the water pump, any codes set. It really sucks when you have people like this at a dealership! Will update when I pick it up.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Overheating.