2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
I was running regular unleaded.
You should be running premium when towing.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DANTHAMAN
That would be the hill. I was running regular unleaded. I will be taking to dealer soon, will update any findings. I had no problems on any other hill or grade on our trip except that hill on the way up and on the way back. Just strange as engine does not appear to be working that hard at all.
I hope you can get a flight computer as I will be doing. Not sur if it will find the problem but they will see how fast the temp rises. My truck was also running very well. Infact it was pulling more like a diesel than a gas motor! I was stunned when I got the warning!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 AM
One more item. Some posts talk about the quality of premium or just getting bad gas. This is possible but phoenix is supplied by a gas pipeline. All stations sell the same fuel with one exception. The additive some brands put in the fuel to prevent carbon build up. It is also possible to get old fuel, but when you go to a high volume station I don't think it is likely. Plus the truck ran absolutely great. No missing pinging or anything like that. Fuel milage was also great for towing.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I live too far north to see temperatures like that - I think the highest temp I ever towed at was the upper 80's to low 90's, with a 10,000 pound load, and of course didn't have any problems since my hills were much shorter (but really steep! Ecoboost really has a funky sounding exhaust when it has to pull that hard).

Anyway - I wonder if Ford's programming shuts down the engine cooling fans above 25 MPH? GM used to do this. I really wish that these trucks still used clutch fans instead of electric, I just dont think electric fans can move enough air when there's real work to be done.

I just drove a semi from Chicago to Duluth, MN - towards the top of the steeper hills, the water gauge would hit 205 degrees and the big clutch fan would kick in. The torque from that thing kicking in would rock the cab of the truck, and it was louder in the cab than coach class of a jet airplane, but it did cool the engine off very quickly.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shelby-GT-500
One more item. Some posts talk about the quality of premium or just getting bad gas. This is possible but phoenix is supplied by a gas pipeline. All stations sell the same fuel with one exception. The additive some brands put in the fuel to prevent carbon build up. It is also possible to get old fuel, but when you go to a high volume station I don't think it is likely. Plus the truck ran absolutely great. No missing pinging or anything like that. Fuel milage was also great for towing.
New gasoline goes "bad" very quickly. As it ages, the octane keeps going down.

However, it is not only "old" gas that is the problem. The majority of problems with "bad gas," has to do with the underground tanks at the stations. You would be amazed at how often the wrong octane is put in the tank, or there are contaminants in the tanks. It is a very common problem.

Danthaman, you need to run the same run with premium. Frankly, I would be very surprised if you experienced the same problem.

There is a reason that Ford includes that statement in the manual. Ridiculous pulls with heavy trailers on very hot days with high humidity, is the perfect storm. This is when premium is needed the most.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
yes, but how many of these EB owners actually have towed 6k pounds? probably not many.

if you are actually towing i don't get how you cannot add a pyrometer to the truck, same with tuning one. most people who are buying these aren't aware that you need to monitor exhaust gas temp on a turbo'd vehicle.
I towed my 35'(7-8000 pounds loaded) trailer yesterday for 12h's straight and no over-heating what so ever!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Those turbo's sound just like what I need to warm up my foil wrapped burrito's at lunch time.

Take's too long on my 4.6 manifold's.

Sounds like it'll cut the cooking time down around 75%.

Probably down 85% if I use premium fuel, too.

Last edited by High-ster; 09-14-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I borrowed a max tow EB F150 to test its high temp towing capability.

I was highly impressed how it handled starting temps of 108-110 and controlled temperature on brutal dessert summer climbs. Id say the safe estimated load in the video is at least 7K

I had serious doubts about it before I tried and am highly impressed.

Sounds to me like you may have a fan, sensor or air in the coolant system issue because the truck delivered superbly for me under close to the worst imaginable conditions.

The setup and rig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSwTG...layer_embedded

The hill at 108 temp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okf4HJ-eD3I

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 09-16-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
If these turbos rely on a LOT of fuel to be dumped in order to stay 'cool', then could the problem on those long tows up the steep grades be caused by too little fuel? I know several have said the Eco holds it's speed at half pedal even in extreme climbs. Even some of the articles for the tests said they had to run at half pedal to keep their speed within the limit. So could it be that the engine is too powerful for the turbo cooling design in that even under extreme load you aren't pouring enough fuel to it to stay cool?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 PM
cool vids Uncle Dave!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
cool vids Uncle Dave!

Thanks- originally did this for my nuclear group of guys that now have 2 EB's in service.

I posted this up in another forum and got a couple of douchebags criticizing me asking why I didnt tow this 10K trailer or that 10K trailer test didnt mean anything blah blah.

Seems "cleared" to tow 7K in 110 heat and huge hills in my testing. Can it really yank 4K more around in the same heat? It felt pretty good, but thats an awefull lot of weight.

My toy hauler with all my stuff clocks in around 10K - Ill do an identical test, but the air temps wont be so hot.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 09-16-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I went in yesterday to get the Flight computer attached. After almost an hour and a half I left without a Flight computer. My truck had newer software than their computer could communicate with. After they tried two updates on their hardware that failed they sent me home. They said they would need to contact ford engineering on monday to get their unit operating correctly. Problem is the weathers is starting to cool. Don't know if my truck will overheat with lower temps.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 PM
eco towing

Excellent videos Uncle Dave, I am thinking of trading my truck and I find these videos very helpfull, my choices are the eco and the titan, maybe the tundra. My father in law has a new eco but just hauls air with it, so no help there. I am in no rush as the camping year for me is almost done, but I will be researching these three trucks very carefully before I sign the papers. By the way I haul a 6000lb TT, my DW and DD are the only guests that come with me and the dog as well,lol.

Dennis

Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dennis5_0
Excellent videos Uncle Dave, I am thinking of trading my truck and I find these videos very helpfull, my choices are the eco and the titan, maybe the tundra. My father in law has a new eco but just hauls air with it, so no help there. I am in no rush as the camping year for me is almost done, but I will be researching these three trucks very carefully before I sign the papers. By the way I haul a 6000lb TT, my DW and DD are the only guests that come with me and the dog as well,lol.

Dennis
Stay away from the Titan. Junk, they fall apart and are made with the cheapest materials made by man. Besides Nissans build quality is bad as Kia so look for crappy assembly.

I made the mistake and got rid of it after only 1 year and 22,000 miles. I think the shop had it more than me for that year. I drove a lot then, now I only drive 24,000 miles a year.

Last edited by Mike Up; 09-22-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 AM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Besides Nissans build quality is bad as Kia so look for crappy assembly.
My stepdaughter bought a Kia Sorento last winter, and the assembly quality is fine. No issues. My other stepdaughter's ex bought a Sentra in 08, and the only issue he has had is the POS CVT.

If I had to buy a brand new truck tomorrow, I'd be buying a Frontier. Why? It's the only truck made any more that I can get equipped the way I want it with a manual transmission. I'm very pro-Ford, but they don't make a new truck the way I want it.

If Ford would offer the Mustang 6 speed behind the 3.7 in the F-150, I'd be all over it.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Overheating.