2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
If Ford would offer the Mustang 6 speed behind the 3.7 in the F-150, I'd be all over it.
And so would 17 other people...which is why Ford doesn't offer it.

The Ranger is the only truck Ford makes that comes with a manual now, and it is going away. Does GM offer a manual in any trucks now? I know they don't in the HD's.

It is getting cost prohibitive to offer manual trannies in trucks due to the cost of development, testing, and certification with the low take rate. Sad (for some), but a sign that things, they are a changin'.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes when thing like this happen it is good to ignore the new technology and ask what would I look for if this was a V8?

From what you described, i would have checked and probably replaced the thermostat. If it was partially blocked, that is exactly how it would behave....

Just my opinion...

Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
The only manuals in full size trucks now are in the Ram diesels, which I need like another hole in the head.

I don't see what the big deal would be certifying a 3.7 F-150 with the manual - it's essentially the same engine that's in the Mustang. I think there are a lot more than "17 people" who would want one. Sorry, but I'm old school, don't like automatics no matter how good they are - I want a clutch pedal. I know I'm not alone.

I may just buy a car and keep my truck around for when I need to haul or tow stuff.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Thumbs down just say no!

Originally Posted by Mike Up
Stay away from the Titan. Junk, they fall apart and are made with the cheapest materials made by man. Besides Nissans build quality is bad as Kia so look for crappy assembly.

I made the mistake and got rid of it after only 1 year and 22,000 miles. I think the shop had it more than me for that year. I drove a lot then, now I only drive 24,000 miles a year.
...x2 on the Titan... numerous dash rattles on day 2, alignment, brake rotors warped, alignment, tire change at 24,000 miles, dash rattle, brake rotors warped/pads replaced, brake pedal goes to the floor intermittently - adjust pedal heighth, thin/cheap paint, brake pedal goes to the floor intermittently - replaced master cyl., brake pedal goes to the floor - Nissan won't fix - bye, bye...

My 2011 STX SCab rattles as bad if not worse than the '05 SE Titan Crew Cab and the paint isn't much better.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by glc
My stepdaughter bought a Kia Sorento last winter, and the assembly quality is fine. No issues. My other stepdaughter's ex bought a Sentra in 08, and the only issue he has had is the POS CVT.
Best of luck with that. I used to work in KIA service and I wouldn't let my worst enemy drive one much less my family or friends.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I've had Kia (twice) and both of them were very good. My '04 F150 was at the dealer more than my Kia ever was. Kia mainly went for oil changes, it currently has 99k on it.

Kevin

Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
My stepdaughter bought a Kia Sorento last winter, and the assembly quality is fine. No issues. My other stepdaughter's ex bought a Sentra in 08, and the only issue he has had is the POS CVT.

If I had to buy a brand new truck tomorrow, I'd be buying a Frontier. Why? It's the only truck made any more that I can get equipped the way I want it with a manual transmission. I'm very pro-Ford, but they don't make a new truck the way I want it.

If Ford would offer the Mustang 6 speed behind the 3.7 in the F-150, I'd be all over it.
I had a 2005 Pathfinder, same components as Frontier except shorter frame and IRS coil springs. Unreliable and left me stranded. Also had cancer as all SUVs that were in the dealers shop. Spots that looks like a human pimple in the paint, were rust bubbling up from under the paint. They had several Xterras, Frontiers and Pathfinders with this problem that were on the lot. Unfortunately I never noticed until after the sale. In fact, the sale was a good deal to get me out of the crappy Titan from the auto mall managers over Kia, Nissan, and Dodge. My Titan problems and many others, were not a secret.

Anyhow Nissan refused to warranty the paint defects even though the dealerships own body shop stated it was a paint defect. Nissan tried to use rail dust as an excuse not to warranty it but it definitely wasn't rail dust as stated by the dealerships body shop people.

I also new another guy with a 2005 White Frontier who sued Nissan over the same issue. I also had a coworker who had it also on her white Xterra. My Pathfiner was silver and it wasn't even from my dealership, but an Illinios dealership that did a dealer trade. So all the problems weren't area specific or dealer specific. My coworker lives over 1.5 hours from where I bought my Pathfinder and she bought it there as well.

I had 3 Nissans and my folks had 1. I had a 2000 Xterra, 2004 Titan, and 2005 Pathfinder. Neither my Folks or I will be buying Nissan again. Their ethics are to much like GM, which is to say poor at best. Nothing lower than trying to get out of your responsibility for warranty work. Nissan and GM are lower than low in my book. They won't stand behind their product. Once the sale is done, they want nothing to do with you anymore.

BTW, I traded my Pathfinder on a 2008 Ford Sport Trac and had the best vehicle experience I've ever had. Best vehicle experience and best customer service from Ford directly. GM and Nissan could learn from Ford.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 PM
glc
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Best of luck with that. I used to work in KIA service and I wouldn't let my worst enemy drive one much less my family or friends.
How long ago did you leave? Hers is a 2011, and it's American-built.

Nissan and GM are lower than low in my book. They won't stand behind their product. Once the sale is done, they want nothing to do with you anymore.
When his CVT went out, the local dealer replaced it no hassles, and it's also my understanding that Nissan has extended the warranty on the CVT because it was such a POS.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I left KIA less than 3 years ago. Their transmissions and wiring are junk. If the trans isn't flushed using KIA/Hyundai spec fluid every 30,000 miles you are tempting fate. Their transmissions run hot and are prone to fail. If you go 35,000 miles you are really pushing it and KIA may not warranty repair.

Also, a lot of wiring issues with the tail lamp assemblies, seat heaters, ac and mirrors. I saw numerous vehicles with their dashes pulled to replace wiring harnesses.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
glc
I'm willing to give Kia the benefit of the doubt with the 2011 Sorento - it's a rebadged Hyundai Veracruz crossover, not a SUV. They are even built in the same US plant.

It has an excellent warranty, and she HAS had some minor issues, which have been fixed by the local dealer with no hassle.

I will tell her about the transmission situation, thank you.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The only manuals in full size trucks now are in the Ram diesels, which I need like another hole in the head.

I don't see what the big deal would be certifying a 3.7 F-150 with the manual - it's essentially the same engine that's in the Mustang. I think there are a lot more than "17 people" who would want one. Sorry, but I'm old school, don't like automatics no matter how good they are - I want a clutch pedal. I know I'm not alone.

I may just buy a car and keep my truck around for when I need to haul or tow stuff.
You honestly want Ford to put a car 6-speed manual............ you know, one that is designed to handle 305hp in a 3500lb car that will never tow or haul anything.............. into their truck??

As for certifying being no big deal........... it is. See, manual transmissioned vehicles now get worse fuel economy and emissions than their automatic counterparts. The reason?? The person behind the wheel. A computer can constantly change the perameters of an automatic drivetrain to be the most efficient. This is not the case with a manual.

Due to the engine/trans being in a different vehicle, with a different air intake and exhaust, it would need to be completely recertified. Even if Ford was silly enough to offer it with a car manual. Costs to recertify are not paid off by economies of scale with a manual truck. The reason?? There is no longer economies of scale on manual trucks.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 AM
glc
You honestly want Ford to put a car 6-speed manual............ you know, one that is designed to handle 305hp in a 3500lb car that will never tow or haul anything.............. into their truck??
Honestly, YES. It's a Getrag MT82, which they also use in the V-8 Mustang. If it can hold up behind the new 5.0, it can handle a V-6 in a truck no sweat. I know for a fact that Ford HAS been considering it.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Read up on how well it is holding up behind the 5.0.

Frankly, I would not trust it in the least.

Now, if Ford ever gets the quality control of the Chinese factory where it is made, under control............... then............ maybe, with a real good clutch. Still, I would wonder if they would limit towing with it.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:17 AM
glc
Of course they would - they severely limited towing with the old M5OD. I'm limited to 3500#, if I had an auto I'd be good for 5700#.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't see them offering a manual in the F-150 anymore. In my opinion I don't think there is enough call for it to justify the cost.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Overheating.