2009 - 2014 F-150

You tube vids 6.2 versus EB

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I'm not sure what you guys expected with this. The 6.2 computer mapping does not allow WOT until 3800rpms. The EB doesn't have that limitation. Put a chip that allows WOT from the start in that 6.2 and it's a completely different ball game with the EB sucking lots of 6.2 exhaust. So why does the 6.2 have this? To keep the morons from destroying the drive train. Yeah, there's that much power there and an endless supply of morons.
You seem to have missed the thread where someone cracked the EB PCM. That plus their downpipe added 90Hp and 100Tq to the wheels of the EB. Both engines ar limited from the factory. However, I doubt the 6.2 has another 90 Hp hiding in the PCM.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Well, no ***** sherlock!

Of course, if you boost a 6.2 with 15 psi it's going to outrun a boosted 3.5. But, a boosted 6.2 isn't a stock engine now, is it? I'm pretty sure we were comparing apples to apples, and not apples to cumquats.
Well, no **** sherlock! You must have missed the replies on this forum for the past year from all the ecoboost nutthuggers bragging about this new goddess six cylinder motor being so much better then the 6.2 and 5.0. Well hell, it should outperform them when its pushing 15 pounds of boost.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4
You must have missed the replies on this forum for the past year from all the ecoboost nutthuggers bragging about this new goddess six cylinder motor being so much better then the 6.2 and 5.0. Well hell, it should outperform them when its pushing 15 pounds of boost.
Well, last time I checked street racing is "run what you brung and hope you brung enough". Whether it's a boosted 6 banger, large turbo 4, SC V8, it doesn't matter. Truth to matter- the 6.2 is what it is from the factory (detuned or whatever) and will NOT beat a spooled up EB from the dig and 1/4 mile. No need to get mad about it

"Well hell, it should outperform them when its pushing 15 pounds of boost",

^^^^ummm correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't 411hp & 434lb-ft outperform 365/420????

Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by hydro1
Well, last time I checked street racing is "run what you brung and hope you brung enough". Whether it's a boosted 6 banger, large turbo 4, SC V8, it doesn't matter. Truth to matter- the 6.2 is what it is from the factory (detuned or whatever) and will NOT beat a spooled up EB from the dig and 1/4 mile. No need to get mad about it

^^^^ummm correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't 411hp & 434lb-ft outperform 365/420????
Peak numbers don't always win drag races. The ecoboost has a very flat torque curve that peaks at a low rpm and carries all the way accross the powerband. Another thing is weight. The 6.2 is only offered in Fords heaviest packaged trucks and the ecoboost can be bought in the lightest packages available. Put the two motors in identical trucks with the torque management systems turned off and im sure the 6.2 will have a slight edge in a quarter mile run.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peak numbers don't always win drag races. The ecoboost has a very flat torque curve that peaks at a low rpm and carries all the way accross the powerband. Another thing is weight. The 6.2 is only offered in Fords heaviest packaged trucks and the ecoboost can be bought in the lightest packages available. Put the two motors in identical trucks with the torque management systems turned off and im sure the 6.2 will have a slight edge in a quarter mile run.
And torque management isn't turned off in stock trucks!

If you want to say the 6.2 has more potential, then fine, I doubt anyone agrees with you. But, that really has absolutely nothing to do with a run between two stock trucks, which is what this thread was about!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 PM

And torque management isn't turned off in stock trucks!

If you want to say the 6.2 has more potential, then fine, I doubt anyone agrees with you. But, that really has absolutely nothing to do with a run between two stock trucks, which is what this thread was about!
Poor baby. We'll just leave the torque management system on to keep things fair.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Boy, this thread brought out an idiot or two, derailed, and went right in the commode.

FWIW, the EcoBoost wasn't built to beat the 6.2L. It was built to offer tremendous power and torque with an engine capable of delivering great fuel economy in a heavy truck... something no one has achieved in a 5,600 pound truck to date. Let's face it, the EcoBoost has broken alot of rules and expectations along with it. Who gives a rats patoot IF the 6.2L had a twin turbo it would beat the Ecoboost. Its not even manufactured. The video is two stockers. That's what this thread was about.

On a side note, why even discuss another hypothetical... disabling TorqueManagement? It can't be done even by the best programmers (Troyer, PHP, VMP,etc.) to date. I've had two of the three program at least 3-4 trucks of mine and they still can't get over it. At best, the 6-speed masks some of the T-M issues.

Now, if you are meaning Traction Control, which you can disable, that's a different story.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Boy, this thread brought out an idiot or two, derailed, and went right in the commode.

FWIW, the EcoBoost wasn't built to beat the 6.2L. It was built to offer tremendous power and torque with an engine capable of delivering great fuel economy in a heavy truck... something no one has achieved in a 5,600 pound truck to date. Let's face it, the EcoBoost has broken alot of rules and expectations along with it. Who gives a rats patoot IF the 6.2L had a twin turbo it would beat the Ecoboost. Its not even manufactured. The video is two stockers. That's what this thread was about.

On a side note, why even discuss another hypothetical... disabling TorqueManagement? It can't be done even by the best programmers (Troyer, PHP, VMP,etc.) to date. I've had two of the three program at least 3-4 trucks of mine and they still can't get over it. At best, the 6-speed masks some of the T-M issues.

Now, if you are meaning Traction Control, which you can disable, that's a different story.
Excellent post! I owe you a

Argue all day long, but every test between equal stock trucks has the EB a nose ahead of the 6.2 which is ahead of every other 1/2 ton on the market. If you want to talk mods bring you check book, debit card and credit card. All 4 new Ford motors have more potential that is not used from the factory but you are going to spend to get to it.

The EB is locked up pretty tight but once you are in there it is a gold mine. Like I posted earlier, the one tuner who opened it up added 90Hp and 100Tq. Figure a tune and down pipe will run you $700-800. For about the price of adding the 6.2L to a truck you instead added 90Hp, not a bad investment. Mods on a turbo motor normally pay off pretty well too. Big power could come from this little 6 banger. The one problem is everyone knows Ford is getting strict on all warranty work, especially this motor.

The 6.2L shows a lot of potential but the limited build numbers will hurt the aftermarket supply chain. There simply isn't enough money to be made in making parts for this motor. Yes, it does have a lot of under hood parts in common with the SD but if you plan to mod a SD most will get the oil burner. If you want to go with much more than tune, intake and exhaust expect to pay big $$$ for all custom work. Remember though, Ford will be watching for mods.

The 5.0 is a stout motor and should be able to borrow some of the Mustang go-fast goodies but not all of them. Most expect Ford to drop a S/C for it and most of the big names might play along. This should make this motor a very strong performer but why spend $5,000 a S/C when you could opt for the EB $750 add the tune and pipe for $800 and be making about the same or more power? Plus you would have another $3500 in your pocket to deal with the warranty that will now toast on either truck.

The 3.7L is the best base motor ever offered in a 1/2 ton but I have not seem much in the aftermarket world for it yet.

The one thing that holds constant is you can not pick a bad Ford motor right now. You have to ask yourself though which one do you like the best stock as this is the safest way to keep it for the time being. All are fairly new to the market and mods will kill the warranty. Otherwise it is pay to play.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Poor baby. We'll just leave the torque management system on to keep things fair.
And I thought we were being fair by talking about stock trucks. Silly me!

Amen! Thank you!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Nice vids... 6.2 FTW!! No offense but what I see here is a lot of EB owner bitterness, and twisting of obvious fact. Sounds like the 6.2 owners vs the EB fan club debate will rage on forever. A few comments....

Impressive how an engine just over half the size holds its own against the 6.2. Would be interesting to see the 5.0 and a 5.4 thrown in just for giggles.
Also impressive how a naturally aspirated engine is faster than one with twin turbochargers.

Originally Posted by Chris_74
Yeah, I've seen that a million times......

Butt dyno's aren't worth

Feeling like you are going fast and sounding like you are going fast........doesn't always mean you are going fast!
Except for the 6.2, where it feels like you are going fast, sounds fast, and oh yes you are indeed GOING fast too.

Oh boy! There ain't no replacement for... Yeah, right. I know drag racing isn't what trucks are all about, but that all says enough. There was clearly no advantage there at all with the 6.2L - especially for the extra cost for the upgrade and the thirst. The little engine that could hung right there - no question. I'd love to see a towing run. My money would have to go to the EcoBoost. Unfortunately, I'm looking at the 6.7L and it for some reason it wont come with an F150 .
No advantage? Other than the fact that the 6.2 beat the EB from a standstill, twice, without brake standing, without twin turbochargers. Thirst? A similarly equipped EB (4x4, 3.73 rear end, max tow, screw, etc) will get no better fuel mileage than a 6.2 (similarly equipped). This, coupled with a larger fuel tank, and ability to tow massive loads without overheating with longer range, better sound, proven technology, etc.... I'm thinking an extra thousand bucks is worth it for some. My money is on the 6.2 as the better tow engine.... remember the Ram Hemi vs EB towing comparison http://www.favstocks.com/3-5l-ecoboo...test/1129662/? The EB was 12 seconds ahead at the start (0-60 mph), impressive yes, but was only 3 seconds ahead at the 3.5 mile mark... aka the Ram (with only a 5 spd transmission) was well on its way to passing the EB, obviously the reason they stopped the test at the 3.5 mile mark. Maybe we'll see the EB as the gas engine option in the SuperDuty soon?

Originally Posted by birddog_61
One small thing I noticed is it says the eco was spooling the turbos each time but the guy in the 6.2 wasn't building any power at the line, he just stomped the gas on the third honk. I don't know how much of a difference it would have made but it for sure does make a difference to build some torque at the launch.
Precisely.

Originally Posted by hydro1

Uumm, "spooled up EB"... is this a fancy way of saying the truck took off unfairly from an RPM increased brake stand, while the other one didn't? Guaranteed the result would be different if the 6.2 driver did the same thing. I'm thinking a "revved up" 6.2 would beat a "spooled up" 6 banger off the line every time. Speaking of brake stands, what happened to the other references of brake stands that were in this thread once upon a time? Deleted?

Oh and if the EB is so powerful with spooled up turbos, why did the 6.2 continue to pull away in these videos, long after the EB turbos would have been spooled?

Originally Posted by Wookie
Excellent post! I owe you a

Argue all day long, but every test between equal stock trucks has the EB a nose ahead of the 6.2 which is ahead of every other 1/2 ton on the market. If you want to talk mods bring you check book, debit card and credit card. All 4 new Ford motors have more potential that is not used from the factory but you are going to spend to get to it.
Except, apparently, in this test . Remember the videos the OP posted as the subject of this thread? You know, where the 6.2 beat the EB, twice, in a straight up race from a standstill? Not counting the brake standing in the third race of course.

The EB is an impressive, powerful engine no doubt... but its no 6.2, sorry. But hey, I can understand why the EB has such a rabid fan club, that 6 banger has an exhaust note to die for.....

Signed,

Leaf blowers, sewing machines, weed eaters and Honda Civic's.

Last edited by Countryboy8602; 09-21-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Except, apparently, in this test . Remember the videos the OP posted as the subject of this thread? You know, where the 6.2 beat the EB, twice, in a straight up race from a standstill? Not counting the brake standing in the third race of course.
Operator error. It took the guy in the Ecoboost a few times before he learned how to boost launch. I haven't seen an ecoboost lose to a 6.2when boost launching.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Hooooo those truck are fast

Old 09-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Operator error. It took the guy in the Ecoboost a few times before he learned how to boost launch. I haven't seen an ecoboost lose to a 6.2when boost launching.
Boost launch? In other words... brake stand. I guess it must have been operator eror on the part of the 6.2 driver in that he didn't do a brake stand at all?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Countryboy8602
Boost launch? In other words... brake stand. I guess it must have been operator eror on the part of the 6.2 driver in that he didn't do a brake stand at all?
You apparently don't understand turbos.

You seem a little offended by the EB...why is that?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Countryboy, you are all over it. Clearly the 6.2L authority! Why didnt Ford consult you before they built that POS EcoBoost? I'll tell you why... Different strokes for different folks. Buy what you want and get used to the fact that the EcoBoost is a great powerplant. Nobody said it is replacing your beloved 6.2L. Again, it's not a replacement... It's an OPTION.

Oh, yes... No Advantage in the video. When drag racing, it doesn't matter how you get there. Brake stand or spool it up. The video shows the puny 3.5L could hold it's own. Should we argue the 6.2L's weight drug
it down? No. The EB did a nice job... Face it.

Quick Reply: You tube vids 6.2 versus EB