2009 - 2014 F-150

Thinking about selling my truck :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about selling my truck :(

While I was stationed in Germany for 3 years, all I could think about was buying my nice new big Ford truck when I got back to the states! Now Ive bought a house here in Oklahoma a little further away from the base than planned and Im basically driving 50-60 miles a day round trip, just to get to work and back and filling up a 36 gallon tank gets pricey. (Found out automatic gas pumps shut off at 100 bucks regardless of if youre done!) I love this truck, but I just dont know if I can justify the gas in the long run! It just doesnt seem practical for me.
I guess Germany rubbed off on me, cuz Im thinking about something German and diesel. Man, I dont know what to do!!!!
Matt

Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Get a used cheap 4 banger for your commute to work. Saves gas, and puts less mileage on your big toy which may make your insurance on the truck go down a bit since it's not technically your daily driver.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 09-20-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by TxAg98
While I was stationed in Germany for 3 years, all I could think about was buying my nice new big Ford truck when I got back to the states! Now Ive bought a house here in Oklahoma a little further away from the base than planned and Im basically driving 50-60 miles a day round trip, just to get to work and back and filling up a 36 gallon tank gets pricey. (Found out automatic gas pumps shut off at 100 bucks regardless of if youre done!) I love this truck, but I just dont know if I can justify the gas in the long run! It just doesnt seem practical for me.
I guess Germany rubbed off on me, cuz Im thinking about something German and diesel. Man, I dont know what to do!!!!
Matt
are you at tinker. im over there with the navy.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Yep, going through the AWACS schoolhouse now.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Gir
Wow, you chose that commute!

Will you be upside-down on your loan? That could be a big factor into your cost savings plan.

Get a cheap car or bike. Carpool? Maybe stay the night on base every other day? I know of a few dudes who stay the whole work week.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Or sell your truck and get a Prius! haha jk please dont do that!

I was considering the same thing, I had a long commute and I loved where I lived but in the end I decided to move instead of selling my truck. I don't know how much your truck is worth but if you downsize I would go with an Audi A4 Quattro or a Subaru WRX. They both handle well in all conditions and are available in a wagon version for more room. And get good mpg. Thats my plan...in the long run. Good luck man. Thanks for serving!

D

Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
If your looking for pure fuel milage then buy a pre owned Prius. Honestly! Wicked mpg!!! And on regular 87 octane fuel too.

The Audi A4 Quattro requires 91 Octane so does the WRX. Both are fun to drive but expensive to run. The whole point of downsizing is saving money.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Just get a little toyota or honda as a DD. Hell, get a freaking mo-ped and you'll be good to go. Don't sell your truck because you'll regret it if you're a true truck guy.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
My son in law essentially has his F-150 parked and is driving his wife's old minivan to work. 20 mpg beats 12 mpg in a heartbeat.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This rings a bell for me....

When I first got my '09, I drove it for work and everything the first year.

Then I took notice when it was 1 year old - I had 14K miles on it already. I then felt like I was wearing my truck out just running back and forth to work.

I've always had at least 1 VW TDI - at that point just the 1 New Beetle that is my wife's. I ended up buying an old '98 TDI Jetta that needed some work, and ran that to work. I now sold that and have my ultimate '03 GLS Jetta TDI which I use for work.

At times, I think about making payments on a truck that sits in the barn most of the time, but the TDI pays for itself.

I drive ~1000 miles a month just going to work and back.

TDI -1000 miles @ 49mpg = 20.4 gals @ 3.85 = $78.54 per month
F-150 - 1000 miles @ 18mpg = 55.55 gals @ 3.65 = $202.76 per month

I'll never get rid of either one. My TDI is by no means a beater and I love driving it. But, I do like driving my truck a lot more - it's just a matter of financial sense to do what I am doing.

Now my truck is 2.5 years old and only has 22K miles on it also.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech

Then I took notice when it was 1 year old - I had 14K miles on it already. I then felt like I was wearing my truck out just running back and forth to work.

I've always had at least 1 VW TDI - at that point just the 1 New Beetle that is my wife's. I ended up buying an old '98 TDI Jetta that needed some work, and ran that to work. I now sold that and have my ultimate '03 GLS Jetta TDI which I use for work.

At times, I think about making payments on a truck that sits in the barn most of the time, but the TDI pays for itself.

I'll never get rid of either one. My TDI is by no means a beater and I love driving it. But, I do like driving my truck a lot more - it's just a matter of financial sense to do what I am doing.

Now, we call that HUGE savings!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech

Originally Posted by 07HarleyDavidsn
Now, we call that HUGE savings!
Then add 10k for the Jetta.. It would take 80.5 months to break even, thats assuming you don't need oil changes, tires, etc in the next 8.70852 years

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Location: Molino, FL / Camp Frontenac (Shah Wali Kowt), Afghanistan
I'm not sure what year truck you have but my 2011 5.0 is getting around 19.0 around town...and around 19.5 on a trip to Arkansas I took two weekends ago.

I also have a motorcycle that I use for whenever I do get a job (still looking) and will use the truck if it is just too cold or raining when I am about to leave the house.

It sounds like you are still in the service and that commute sounds about what I may be looking at for a couple of jobs I have applied for. With what they may be paying ($16 to $19 per hour) I have thrown around the idea after the probation period I may also buy a gas efficient car to use as well...strictly for work (2012 Ford Fiesta or Focus).

Good luck...I hope you don't have to sell your truck but..you are right...gas isn't cheap anymore and a commute that long can get expensive.

Dennis

Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are a home owner, you need a truck or at least an SUV. Since they both get the same mileage, keep the truck.

If you don't tow, don't haul, don't have a house to keep up, don't need 4WD for snow and don't off road, I don't see the reason to drive a truck.

There's no way in hell I could live without a truck or SUV. I haul, I tow, I used the truck to haul items for house keep up, I use 4WD in the Snow, and I drive off road.

In fact while driving the wifes Mustang GT convertible earlier, I was thinking I enjoy my truck much better. If you can't race it or show boat, the cramped interior, awkward low riding position, and lack of shoulder room and leg room gets old very quick. Besides, there's not much else you can do with a Mustang other than have fun driving fast. With traffic jams and congested town driving, I was thinking about how nice it was driving the truck.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my truck :(