2009 - 2014 F-150

Tow package and Max Tow

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow package and Max Tow

Looking to get an '11 4x4 SCREW Eco Lariat and trying to decode the tow options.

All Lariats come with a tow package, so they hall have the same hitch, upgrade radiator, 4/7 pin connector, and aux tranny cooler.

From the Ford website:
Trailer Tow Package
The Trailer Tow Package includes a Class IV trailer hitch receiver, a 7-pin wiring harness, an upgraded radiator and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler.

With the Max tow, the added parts are big mirrors and heavy duty bumper and the brake controller and a required 3.73 gears.

So basically, if you got a Lariat, the dealer could install a brake controller and 3.73 gears and you have all the required parts to tow the max 11,3000lbs.

But the big question: Is all the wiring for the brake controller already there and can it be dealer installed, or is this a factory installed option only?

Thank you for your expertise! I'm trying to figure out if i HAVE to get the Max two package or not. Would like to stick with 3.55 gears and the power folding smaller windows, but still have all the other towing parts.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get 3.73 without the max towing package, but it is rated by Ford to tow the same amount as the 3.55, 9700 pounds for Screw 4x4 5.5' bed.

The max trailer towing package adds about 400 pounds of payload to that combo, which is significant for towing anything close to 10k pounds, even 8k pounds for some types of trailers.

What are you planning to tow? Why do you want 3.55 axle?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by APT
You can get 3.73 without the max towing package, but it is rated by Ford to tow the same amount as the 3.55, 9700 pounds for Screw 4x4 5.5' bed.

The max trailer towing package adds about 400 pounds of payload to that combo, which is significant for towing anything close to 10k pounds, even 8k pounds for some types of trailers.

What are you planning to tow? Why do you want 3.55 axle?
So what does the max tow give you that warrants another 400 pounds of payload and 1600 pounds of towing capacity? Does the addition of the brake controller give this? If you put 3.73 gears in it and a brake controller, what is it missing besides the mirrors and rear bumper?

Planning on towing a boat, but I don't have the boat yet and don't want to end up with a truck that can't tow it when I do find the boat I want. Looking at a 25-27' cruiser, and with the trailer I plan to be around 8k, more or less. Of course, throw in a load of gear, family, and friends, and the GCW is going up! LOL!

I'd rather not be on the limit either, but a safe margin.

I guess I don't really like the big tow mirrors, prefer the power fold, but I guess those can be swapped out. There are very few max tow packages on dealer lots around "here", but lots of Lariats,4x4, SCREW,Ecos with 3.55s. Sure I could order, but USAA has a buyer program that knocks 7K off of MSRP, but it only counts for what is on the dealer lot.

Don't really want to special order, and I'll be happy with 3.55 gears as long as the rest of the towing bits are there, except for the bumper and mirrors which I don't really want.

Thank you for your expertise!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
You need Max Tow. You won't add the stuff later and even if you could it wouldn't give you Max Tow. You can't order 2011's anymore. You can order 2012, or get a 2011 from dealer stock.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Also, the tow mirrors are not power fold. They are power glass (main glass), manual fold, manual telescoping.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Make sure you ride in a Lariat with the regular tow package and the max tow.
My buddy has the regular tow package in his F150 and it doesn't ride anywhere near as smooth as mine does with the max tow. I don't know what they do with the springs between the two packages, but mine rides much, much better with or without the weight.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you are going to tow a 8k boat and load the truck up with people and stuff, you NEED the max tow package or a Super Duty. Even with the max tow, you MAY be over rated payload under those conditions. The 11300# rating is under ideal conditions and is primarily an advertising gimmick.

Can you tow overloaded? Sure - and people do it every day without realizing it or they don't care. I personally don't think it's a good idea.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 PM
APT
The GVWR is giver on the max towing package. for 4x4 Supercrew it is 7650 vs 7200 for 5.5' beds and 7700 vs. 7350 for 6.5' beds. No one knows exactly what parts made the difference. Spring, maybe shocks. Axle may be a bit stronger.

8000 pound boat means 500-800 pounds on the tongue, or against payload. An EB Lariat probably has 1200-1300 pound of payload. Does your family and gear you put in the truck weigh less than 400 pounds?

Honestly, for a boat and light gear in the bed, I would not worry about the max tow package.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Suspended
get the max tow if not a superduty. go look at prices, a equally optioned superduty (with gas motor) won't be too far off from an f150 and you will be 100% sure it will tow it safely.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I just picked up a F-150 SC 4x4 lariat EB with TBC and 3.73 rear axle with electronic locking and off road package, 6 1/2 bed. According to my owners manual, max towing is 9600. I do not have the Max towing package to get it to 11,300. But I'm not planning on towing a big boat either.

Joe C.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Thank you for all your inputs!

Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
You need Max Tow. You won't add the stuff later and even if you could it wouldn't give you Max Tow. You can't order 2011's anymore. You can order 2012, or get a 2011 from dealer stock.
What stuff won't I add on later on?
I didn't know you couldn't order 2011's anymore, thanks!

Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Also, the tow mirrors are not power fold. They are power glass (main glass), manual fold, manual telescoping.
Regular windows with Power Fold it is. Thanks!

Originally Posted by storm903
Make sure you ride in a Lariat with the regular tow package and the max tow.
My buddy has the regular tow package in his F150 and it doesn't ride anywhere near as smooth as mine does with the max tow. I don't know what they do with the springs between the two packages, but mine rides much, much better with or without the weight.
Now this is interesting. So the Max Tow rode better? Wonder why? Stiffer springs? Beefier axle? Better suspension? What's the secret!? Did you and he have 18" or 20" wheels?
I will have to ride in both then. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by glc
If you are going to tow a 8k boat and load the truck up with people and stuff, you NEED the max tow package or a Super Duty. Even with the max tow, you MAY be over rated payload under those conditions. The 11300# rating is under ideal conditions and is primarily an advertising gimmick.

Can you tow overloaded? Sure - and people do it every day without realizing it or they don't care. I personally don't think it's a good idea.
I appreciate your opinion, but what I'm really trying to figure out is what are the parts that make up the Max Tow that Ford isn't advertising. Because the only thing on the brochure is a Brake Controller, mirrors, and a bumper.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g..._F150nov18.pdf

Originally Posted by APT
The GVWR is giver on the max towing package. for 4x4 Supercrew it is 7650 vs 7200 for 5.5' beds and 7700 vs. 7350 for 6.5' beds. No one knows exactly what parts made the difference. Spring, maybe shocks. Axle may be a bit stronger.

8000 pound boat means 500-800 pounds on the tongue, or against payload. An EB Lariat probably has 1200-1300 pound of payload. Does your family and gear you put in the truck weigh less than 400 pounds?

Honestly, for a boat and light gear in the bed, I would not worry about the max tow package.
There is the key. How do we get the 450 extra payload pounds. Wonder if there is an engineer on here that knows what the parts are? Anybody compared the two side to side? Wonder if you can look at the springs or axle and find if there is a difference. Or a parts manual?

Nope, family and gear doesn't weigh more than 400 lbs. Wife is less than a hundred, no kids. I don't think our swimsuits are that heavy, especially hers. There is the beer cooler though, that's required.

Thank you for your advice!

Originally Posted by 06yz250f
get the max tow if not a superduty. go look at prices, a equally optioned superduty (with gas motor) won't be too far off from an f150 and you will be 100% sure it will tow it safely.
That may be, but really don't want a superduty. May only be towing 5 to 10 times a year, and I'll just get a lighter boat if the Eco can't cut it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by jojolimited
I just picked up a F-150 SC 4x4 lariat EB with TBC and 3.73 rear axle with electronic locking and off road package, 6 1/2 bed. According to my owners manual, max towing is 9600. I do not have the Max towing package to get it to 11,300. But I'm not planning on towing a big boat either.

Joe C.
I haven't even seen a 6.5" bed for sale around here in that configuration. So you basically have everything but the mirrors and bumper, and the other mystery parts. Enjoy the EB and thanks for your input!

Now if we only knew what the mystery parts were.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Honestly, it doesn't matter what the mystery parts are - you cannot legally increase the tow rating by changing parts.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Honestly, it doesn't matter what the mystery parts are - you cannot legally increase the tow rating by changing parts.
That is true. I am looking for what is mechanically making it increase the tow rating. Obviously not mirrors and a bumper.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
APT
From the 2012 Order guide:
MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE – POWER MIRROR (60P)
Includes:
• Upgraded rear bumper
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• 7-pin wiring harness
• Upgraded radiator
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Trailer Brake Control
• SelectShift Transmission
• Side Mirrors, black manual telescoping trailer tow w/power
glass (includes heat, turn signal & puddle lamps)
• Memory feature included on side mirrors when order with FX
Luxury Package (55F)

The springs are not mentioned, which we know are different than the F-150's with 17 and 18" wheels. May be the same springs as 20" wheeled F-150s.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Guys, See the EcoBoost overheating thread. Max Tow radiator and the other radiators are not the same. Only Max Tow has 51 rows of tubes.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...heating-9.html

Quick Reply: Tow package and Max Tow