2009 - 2014 F-150

First oil change 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change 5.4

Guys I changed the oil in my 2010 f150 and used motorcraft 5-20 full syn and a 820 ford race filter. I put 7qt of oil in and started it and let it run for 1-2 min and shut it off to let the oil drain back down after 10min I checked the oil and it was a tad low because of the filter is a little larger so I added just less then a 1/4 of a qt and it was full. The next mourning I checked before starting on a long trip and it was just a little overfull after sitting all night. I guess the top small hole on the dipstick is the max level it is just over it less then 1/16'' should I drain some out, Will it hurt anything.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The correct reading should put the oil level at the middle of the marks between full and add. If you go over full you risk having the crank splash the oil in the pan and the oil will become foam. Foam does not lubricate very well, damage will happen. Sounds like you need to drain some out.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd just leave it. But 7 quarts is full, at least it was on the 04-08s.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 PM
you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
With only adding a 1/4 of a quart you should be ok, especially with the larger filter.....

Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Where did you get the motorcraft full synthetic? Can't find it around me, and my dealer wants like 80 bucks to do it.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
Where did you get the motorcraft full synthetic? Can't find it around me, and my dealer wants like 80 bucks to do it.
I can buy it for 4.60qt at the dealer in NC. Here is what I did I drained some out and then let it run for 20min or so and then check it again and it was about 1qt low so I added just enough to get it to the top of the crosshatch on the stick, not the top hole which is max full. This mourning before work I check it after sitting all night AND IT WAS OVER THE TOP HOLE in the stick which is max full. It drained a 1/2 of qt back in the pan over night so with that said I am at the same place I was before stated this mess HA HA HA.. It is still about 1/4 of a qt or less after the truck sets over night. But if you started and drive it and let it set for 30min and check the oil it will be on the mark, It is over full after it set all night...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM
When you do an oil change, just put back in the same amount you drained.

My problem is that I can't see the new oil on the dipstick it is so light colored.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by M.YANCEY
I can buy it for 4.60qt at the dealer in NC. Here is what I did I drained some out and then let it run for 20min or so and then check it again and it was about 1qt low so I added just enough to get it to the top of the crosshatch on the stick, not the top hole which is max full. This mourning before work I check it after sitting all night AND IT WAS OVER THE TOP HOLE in the stick which is max full. It drained a 1/2 of qt back in the pan over night so with that said I am at the same place I was before stated this mess HA HA HA.. It is still about 1/4 of a qt or less after the truck sets over night. But if you started and drive it and let it set for 30min and check the oil it will be on the mark, It is over full after it set all night...
You do know it just takes 7 quarts. All you had to do is just dump in 7 quarts and you're done. I never had a problem with it being over full. Make sure you're on level ground and make sure the dipstick tube is fully pressed in the engine.

Last edited by Need4racin; 10-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Need4racin
You do know it just takes 7 quarts. All you had to do is just dump in 7 quarts and you're done. I never had a problem with it being over full. Make sure you're on level ground and make sure the dipstick tube is fully pressed in the engine.
Yes I know it take 7qt but I have a ford performance oil filter, it is a little larger so it takes a small amount more of oil to put it on the full mark. My question is after the truck sits all night it is a little over full. It was on the money until it set over night..

Old 10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I can buy it for 4.60qt at the dealer in NC.
Betcha that's the semi-synthetic..........

Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Betcha that's the semi-synthetic..........
NO it is 5W-20 FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL . Ford REF# 186234 I am looking at the bottle now.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pig9r
When you do an oil change, just put back in the same amount you drained.

My problem is that I can't see the new oil on the dipstick it is so light colored.
You know, as logical as this may seem this math has never, ever, ever worked for me. On any vehicle I have ever owned, if I begin an oil change with a blackened oil at the full level on the dipstick, when it's all said and done, and the gallon oil jug is dumped in the car, and even an extra half quart added to top it up after running it, I'll be damned if I can never fill the gallon jug with what I took out. Mathematically it makes no sense, and before ya jump on me, no, it is not overfull after it all settles. Every time I change the oil in the wife's car, mother in law, sister, ect, the same dumb **** rule applies. One of the mysteries of the universe. teeny tiny filters on civics and mazda3's don't hold much oil either, especially not enough to make up the missing oil. Every oil change, 4 1/2 liters in, under 4 liters back in the jug. Go figure.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
You know, as logical as this may seem this math has never, ever, ever worked for me. On any vehicle I have ever owned, if I begin an oil change with a blackened oil at the full level on the dipstick, when it's all said and done, and the gallon oil jug is dumped in the car, and even an extra half quart added to top it up after running it, I'll be damned if I can never fill the gallon jug with what I took out. Mathematically it makes no sense, and before ya jump on me, no, it is not overfull after it all settles. Every time I change the oil in the wife's car, mother in law, sister, ect, the same dumb **** rule applies. One of the mysteries of the universe. teeny tiny filters on civics and mazda3's don't hold much oil either, especially not enough to make up the missing oil. Every oil change, 4 1/2 liters in, under 4 liters back in the jug. Go figure.

I always have to top off too, but it does get me back on the dipstick without overfilling. My main point was don't drain the oil then look in the owners manual and see that the engine oil capacity is 7 quarts; then add 7 quarts.

One other tip, make sure the oil filter's seal comes off with the oil filter and isn't stuck to the engine and remain there when you put on the new oil filter. That can result in needing to add more oil to the engine and clean up in the driveway.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Boy did I start something HA HA.. I tell you what I did, It had me worried so I put it back on the lift and removed the oil filter and installed back the stock 820 motorcraft filter and filled it and started it and let it run for 5min and cut it off and check the oil this mourning and it was 1/2 qt low so I top it off and the stick showed full on one side of the stick. I turned the stick around and it was a little low?? Which way is the right way? Try it yourself put the stick in with the smooth side out then pull it out and turn it around and put it back and check it. It will read back full???

Quick Reply: First oil change 5.4