2009 - 2014 F-150

Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 5.0, and if the 6.2 was available I would've picked that up no questions asked. Not that I have a 6.2, but I'm getting better mileage with my 5.0 then the sticker says as well

Then again if I was THAT concerned with mileage, I'd be driving that little lunchbox on wheels, aka prius or something like that

Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
4x2 or 4x4?

Maybe I'll get more responses by posing a different question: Does anybody with an Ecoboost wish they had purchased a 6.2 instead?

Yeah, that's me!
I wanted the Fx4, so I was limited to the ecoboost or 5.0...I brought home the ecoboost. If the 6.2 was available in the Fx4, there would be one in my driveway instead. But I don't dislike my ecoboost, have a lot of fun on the drag strip at the dunes with it...nothing like beating all the trucks out there and when they as whats all done to the engine, answer with "just a stock v6 "

My brother has a 6.2 limited, awesome truck, awesome sound, great power...but he is only seeing 13.7 mpg with mixed driving. We have raced dozens of times, and I pull 2 lengths off the line and hold that until we top out, and am seeing 4 mpg better while doing so.

Like I said, I would still buy the 6.2 if it were an option...but it wasn't in the truck I wanted, so I ended up with the ecoboost instead. Don't regret that at all.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Lagford, thats a sweet eb you got there....is it leveled?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
4x2 or 4x4?

Maybe I'll get more responses by posing a different question: Does anybody with an Ecoboost wish they had purchased a 6.2 instead?

Yeah, that's me!
Not to thread jack, but do you still have your truck? Sure is sexy from what I've sen in old posts

Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Mine is indeed a 4x4. Now today I was getting on the skinny pedal and was lucky if I got over 11 MPG. But a quick reset and my numbers jumped back up.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Langford
My brother has a 6.2 limited, awesome truck, awesome sound, great power...but he is only seeing 13.7 mpg with mixed driving.
Is his Limited 4x2 or 4x4 (AWD)?

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Not to thread jack, but do you still have your truck? Sure is sexy from what I've sen in old posts
Thanks, but unfortunately I sold it and am now looking to get back into the fold. I wish there was 3rd gen Lightning, but this time around with 2 kids I need a Supercrew configuration anyway so the 6.2 and Ecoboost appeal to me the most. Seems like the 6.2 is the more "exclusive" motor with intoxicating sound. If buying with my heart, I'd probably go 6.2, but if buying with my brain I'd go Ecoboost. Just not sure I could live with the MPG of the 6.2, even though my 2 Lightnings always got between 13-14 MPG (so I'm used to it, I just don't like it).

Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 PM
BMWBig6,

His is a 4x4 crew cab, same setup as mine.

Originally Posted by radar's FX4
Lagford, thats a sweet eb you got there....is it leveled?
Thanks, stock suspension. I was running 33x12.5r20 Toyo MT's, but switched them out for some 305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers recently...absolutely no rubbing with either tire setup, even at full lock. The +35mm wheels tuck them in far enough to clear without any issues.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM

Why not a 5.0? That motor seems to be the surprise of the bunch, most people I see average 17-20 something with many getting 19+ highway

Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
So I test drove both motors this weekend in 2 different 2011 4x2 supercrew models. It wasn't quite an apples to apples comparison (more like granny smith to red delicious comparison), because the 6.2 had 3.73 gears, and the Ecoboost had the 3.55. Here were my impressions (and I drove the 6.2 twice back-to-back with the Ecoboost in between to confirm my original thoughts):

• Definitely the "hot rod" motor, sublime character that gets your heart racing and juices flowing
  • Makes nice noises, throaty growl, but still composed while cruising (little cabin drone)
  • Seemed more responsive to throttle input, and urgency was more immediate, but curse Ford for dialing back the tune on this motor at WOT in lower gears--this thing would be a beast (and probably twist metal) if left completely uncorked at WOT
  • Not as smooth at idle (lumpier and felt more vibrations at stoplights)
  • Every drive was accompanied by a sense of occasion, and would make even short trips to the convenience store seem more special.
  • 10.5 MPG on test drive loop

Ecoboost
  • Smooth, refined, understated
  • Not much personality (almost to a fault?), but will move out smartly with little drama when poked
  • A little lag at throttle tip-in, and on double-downshift (but that could be due to different trans programming)
  • Silent at idle and very quiet when driving in a civil manner around town
  • Would be my choice for a calm, composed road trip or when you have screaming kids in the backseat and just need to get from point A to point B in autopilot with as little drama as possible--the Ecoboost is soothing and relaxing when unprovoked.
  • 10.6 mpg on my test drive loop

I came away from the experience thinking maybe the 6.2's bark was louder than its bite. The 3.73 gears and audio soundtrack (exhaust note) amplified the sense of higher speeds and acceleration, but the Ecoboost pushed me into the back of my seat too and just gets the job done in a more relaxed manner. I really thought the turbocharged Ecoboost would seem like the more tightly-wound, frenetic motor that had to strain to keep up, but it really seemed effortless, calm, and composed in executing the same tasks. On the contrary, I felt like the 6.2 was a lot more fun to drive (again, 3.73 and exhaust at play here) but was doing a lot more yelling and chest-thumping to get the job done. I'd love to drive both again with noise-cancellation headphones or earplugs, so I can focus on my butt dyno alone.

I'm honestly still not sure which motor I prefer more. My heart is in love with the 6.2, as it reminds me of my Lightnings and pushes all the right emotional buttons and feels alive behind the wheel. But the Ecoboost appeals to my mind, for its more modern technology (compared with the dinosaur SOHC 6.2) and sensible compromise between performance and efficiency. I just think the Ecoboost offers a colder, more anesthetized experience (and I'm not sure an intake or exhaust will change much though I could be mistaken). I have no doubt that the Ecoboost can give the 6.2 a run for its money in stock form (especially if both have 3.73 gears), and an aftermarket tune could probably really "wake up" this motor. The thing about the 6.2 is that it's always "on" (turned all the way up to 11?), while the Ecoboost is just cruising along unless you ask it (twice?) for more oomph (at which time it does deliver). I can totally understand why Ford markets the 6.2 to the Harley crowd in the F150 line. I just wonder if living with the 6.2 every day (note, this will NOT be my daily driver but could be someday) will get old, since you can't turn the 6.2 "off."

I also calculated the difference in fuel expenses since the yesterday-tech 6.2 runs well on regular gas (87 octane), while Ford recommends premium for the Ecoboost. At a combined 14 MPG for the 6.2 (vs. 18 MPG for the Ecoboost), the 6.2 only costs $31/month more to operate (or $370/year), because regular unleaded is about 28 cents cheaper than premium. So to me it really comes down to which motor would I rather have under my right foot because the fuel costs will be close to a wash.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 11-07-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM
for the models that offer the 6.2 , what is the up tick in price going from the 5.0 to the 6.2?

In my XLT it seemed the 5 hp wasnt worth the extra $750 , and at the time i was thinkingm, do i really want twin turbo trouble down the road...seemed like mores tuff to go wrong and cost an arm and a leg....for 5 hp?

I tow only about 3000 lbs...so the 5.0 is enough....and it seems to be getting 16-17 mpg all around driving...

I love the idea of 411 hp...but Id have to see the cost to know if i would have bought it.

MY 2002 5.4 only had 260 or 270 hp i think....I love 100 more horses!!!

bob

Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob J
for the models that offer the 6.2 , what is the up tick in price going from the 5.0 to the 6.2?

In my XLT it seemed the 5 hp wasnt worth the extra $750 , and at the time i was thinkingm, do i really want twin turbo trouble down the road...seemed like mores tuff to go wrong and cost an arm and a leg....for 5 hp?

I tow only about 3000 lbs...so the 5.0 is enough....and it seems to be getting 16-17 mpg all around driving...

I love the idea of 411 hp...but Id have to see the cost to know if i would have bought it.

bob
If I remember correctly the charges are as follows:

5.0 $1000
EB $1750
6.2 $3000

Just for FYI, my 5.0 has averaged 19.4 since new, 8600 miles. I am very happy with it. Runs like a smooth machine and has power to burn.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Bob J

bob
I think he's more a HP nut and will probably mod his.

If you plan on doing things to the motor, go with the 6.2 or 5.0. Past the initial tuning on the ecoboost, gaining any real HP is going to cost an arm and a leg. Slap a SC on the 6.2 or 5.0 it's going to out run an ecoboost with ease.

I wasn't impressed with the ecoboost at all, didn't look at 6.2's as they weren't in my price range. Turbo lag was terrible on the truck i drove, others say it's non existent which i doubt. The truck i drove was worse than my superduty.

the ecoboost doesn't seem to be doing as well as every one thought, mpg seem to go between absolute crap to alright. from what i've read none seem to be that awesome number they are supposed to have. Towing, there seems to be an issue that hasn't been figured out last i read that thread. looks like it might be the radiator but doesn't seem to be confirmed.

I would go test drive a 5.0 before you decide if you are still tossed up, i got 18 mpg last night doing a 260 mile drive going 80-85. mileage has drastically increased since i got it. I'm getting above my window sticker MPG for both city and highway.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Like I had said, the 5.0 is the surprise of the bunch... best mileage out of any of them. So many mods for it too... Boss intake, tuning, there will be a big following for that motor

Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
BMWBig6,

I wholeheartedly agree with your impressions of the two motors and your post.

I picked up my Ecoboost on a Saturday, put on a few miles over the weekend and went with my brother to test drive and pick up his 6.2 limited the following Tuesday. My original impression of the 6.2 was "this thing is an absolute monster". I thought it would rape my truck in a race...it just sounds and feels like a MUCH faster truck. I felt like I was in a sports car when the throttle was mashed on that big v8, which is a feeling I really don't get with my truck. I don't know if it was how the power ramps up with RPM's combined with the noise, but it just seemed to pin you back a lot harder than the ecoboost does...but line the two up side by side and race, a different story is told. Which shocked both my brother and I...we both expected his truck to be multiple lengths in front of me.

Oh, on the fuel issue...I thought it was the other way around . I have never ran anything other than 87 in my truck, and I thought my brother was recommended to run 89 or higher in his 6.2...but I could be mistaken. Either way, my truck has always ran just fine on 87...

Even though I'm very happy with my engine...like I said, I would still have a 6.2 in the driveway if it was an option with the Fx4 package. Unlike most people, I wasn't impressed with the 5.0...it didn't feel like it had much of anything more than my '10 5.4 did, unlike the 3.5 EB and 6.2, both of those motors felt like a big upgrade from my old 5.4. And being that I use my truck to tow more often than not, I liked the looks of the torque curve of the EB engine over the 5.0.

Last edited by Langford; 11-07-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM
^ yep, the EB was designed to run on 87 octane all day long. One may consider 91 octane only when towing very heavy in hot weather.

Quick Reply: Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?