2009 - 2014 F-150

Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
Past the initial tuning on the ecoboost, gaining any real HP is going to cost an arm and a leg. Slap a SC on the 6.2 or 5.0 it's going to out run an ecoboost with ease.
Most superchargers cost at least $5k -$6k. So it's also going to cost an arm and a leg to outrun the Ecoboost with ease.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Most superchargers cost at least $5k -$6k. So it's also going to cost an arm and a leg to outrun the Ecoboost with ease.
Some folks just don't get it. Spend 2k on a EB and your're hitting 500 hp (flywheel). It's just like a diesel. A agressive programmer, exhaust & intake and it's on. Don't talk about longevity or any other BS. Any engine tuned aftermarket or SC you're playing with fire. Folks are forgetting the V6 is over 100lbs lighter, that's huge in the racing world. A 5.0 or 6.2 are NOT forged internals. A EB is, and will support big power gains.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro1
^ yep, the EB was designed to run on 87 octane all day long. One may consider 91 octane only when towing very heavy in hot weather.
Both engines are speced to run 87. However, Ford says that premium is recommended when towing heavy and will give you better performance at any time on the EB.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Langford
BMWBig6,

I wholeheartedly agree with your impressions of the two motors and your post.

I picked up my Ecoboost on a Saturday, put on a few miles over the weekend and went with my brother to test drive and pick up his 6.2 limited the following Tuesday. My original impression of the 6.2 was "this thing is an absolute monster". I thought it would rape my truck in a race...it just sounds and feels like a MUCH faster truck. I felt like I was in a sports car when the throttle was mashed on that big v8, which is a feeling I really don't get with my truck. I don't know if it was how the power ramps up with RPM's combined with the noise, but it just seemed to pin you back a lot harder than the ecoboost does...but line the two up side by side and race, a different story is told. Which shocked both my brother and I...we both expected his truck to be multiple lengths in front of me.

Oh, on the fuel issue...I thought it was the other way around . I have never ran anything other than 87 in my truck, and I thought my brother was recommended to run 89 or higher in his 6.2...but I could be mistaken. Either way, my truck has always ran just fine on 87...

Even though I'm very happy with my engine...like I said, I would still have a 6.2 in the driveway if it was an option with the Fx4 package. Unlike most people, I wasn't impressed with the 5.0...it didn't feel like it had much of anything more than my '10 5.4 did, unlike the 3.5 EB and 6.2, both of those motors felt like a big upgrade from my old 5.4. And being that I use my truck to tow more often than not, I liked the looks of the torque curve of the EB engine over the 5.0.
X2,The race with your brothers truck proves the Motor Trend rear wheel Horsepower and Torque numbers.EcoBoost 316 RWHP at 5,000 rpm and 347 RWTQ at 4,395 rpm and 6.2 329 RWHP at 5,745 rpm and 335 RWTQ at 4,548 rpm.IMO,maybe just maybe the EcoBoost numbers are undrated.

Later Mark.

Quick Reply: Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?