2009 - 2014 F-150

Gas cap key blank found!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas cap key blank found!

Those of you who have purchased a Ford locking gas cap and wanted an extra key made already know that Ford and most locksmiths can't get or don't know how to get the correct key blank.

Well working with a local locksmith, who spent a lot of time researching it, I have the information on the correct key blank ID. It's an "ILCO 1611R", listed as a "Gas Cap Key". I got a couple made up today and they work fine.

Rod

Old 11-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Hmmmmm............Listed as a 'Gas Cap Key', eh?

That must be what's throwing everyone off......................

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't like the fact that my truck came with NO gas cap from the factory. I know it is supposed to be an "easy fill" system but I rather just have a cap. I don't want some punk *** kid putting something in my tank or something.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Milt IV
I really don't like the fact that my truck came with NO gas cap from the factory. I know it is supposed to be an "easy fill" system but I rather just have a cap. I don't want some punk *** kid putting something in my tank or something.
Lol, you realize that even if it did have a cap they would still be able to get in there, right? You would need a locking cap, which they sell-

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles...rior/fuel.html

I personally love the easy fill system. When it is -40F all you want is to get the gas as quickly as possible and get going again.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gerrard155
Lol, you realize that even if it did have a cap they would still be able to get in there, right? You would need a locking cap, which they sell-

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles...rior/fuel.html

I personally love the easy fill system. When it is -40F all you want is to get the gas as quickly as possible and get going again.
Yeah I realize that but It's less likely to happen with a cap, especially a locking one, which is what we just so happen to be discussing, that I just found out existed.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
The flap that closes off the capless fuel filler is set up so that you can't just push it in with a finger. There are two little "buttons" inside the opening that need to be pressed in order for the flap to open. If you were to just dump a fluid down on top of the flap it would come out the overflow and not into the tank.

Locking gas doors/caps are actually required in Europe.

Quick Reply: Gas cap key blank found!