2009 - 2014 F-150

Skeptical on buying this used truck, advice? Oasis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually no, we got my wifes used 2007 explorer. I should mention this was 2 years ago as well, so maybe $5-6k is about right now. Have you tried kbb or edmunds to price out your truck? If you can get $5-6k in a private sale, the dealer will only give you like 3-4.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by cdecker
Another thing that caught my eye was that carfax showed a mileage inconsistency, where apparently miles were reported during servicing at a dealer, that were lower than miles reported by another dealership at a previous servicing...
This... has happened to me at the dealer I take my 2005 Ford Five Hundred to for service. On one service visit they typo'd the wrong mileage, 10000 more than actual, then at the next visit my actual mileage was less than the previous visit. I mentioned this to them, don't know if it ever got fixed. This type of thing probably happens a lot, so I wouldn't worry about it as long as the carfax report matches up with the current mileage. It isn't like the old days where you could roll back the mileage on a vehicle with a reversible power drill.

For all the other reasons you've listed, I would not buy the truck. You will find your truck, there are lots of them out there.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by hemigod
This... has happened to me at the dealer I take my 2005 Ford Five Hundred to for service. On one service visit they typo'd the wrong mileage, 10000 more than actual, then at the next visit my actual mileage was less than the previous visit. I mentioned this to them, don't know if it ever got fixed. This type of thing probably happens a lot, so I wouldn't worry about it as long as the carfax report matches up with the current mileage. It isn't like the old days where you could roll back the mileage on a vehicle with a reversible power drill.

For all the other reasons you've listed, I would not buy the truck. You will find your truck, there are lots of them out there.
I figured this is what probably happened. Like you mentioned, I think the days of screwing with the mileage are over. Still, there are 38,000 miles on this truck that judging by the condition, were pretty hard miles. I'm still going to walk. The mud underneath didnt really bother me as bad as the clumps of mud and grass wedged behind wiring harnesses and misc places in the engine compartment. I'm not sure if all the TLC and elbow grease in the world will find it all and remove it. Not to mention the dealership was a joke.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, I'm going to keep looking.....

Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Looks like a very clean truck! did you compare local prices to come up with your asking price?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by TC Berlinghof
Looks like a very clean truck! did you compare local prices to come up with your asking price?
Thanks, it is very clean!! I checked local listing and I think I'm right there at $5995. I'd take a bit less for it. Just today I noticed that although the craigslist link works, it actually doesn't show up in any of the listings. Had to delete the posting and re-post in a couple days. Weird...

Just for the heck of it, was anyone able to run an Oasis report on the 2010 I looked at? I'm still curious what the background is behind it...

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I also recommend passing on that deal. I bought an almost identical 2010 FX-4 5.4 about two months ago with less than 11,000 miles in SPOTLESS condition for the same price. Several people have already pointed out that this could be a flood vehicle. I'll just add that that could well be the case even if you haven't had a local disaster. After Hurricane Katrina the used car lots here in Fla were FULL of cars from N.O. that had been flooded. If that truck has as much mud as you say, you have to wonder if it wasn't flooded or else the PO used it as a mud truck and it was almost surely abused. Either way I would be VERY concerned that mud and water hasn't gotten into the axles, differentials and transmission.

Quick Reply: Skeptical on buying this used truck, advice? Oasis?