2009 - 2014 F-150

A sad, sad day......

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A sad, sad day......

Let me start off by saying this is a bit of a rant, so I apologize in advance....

So, I recently had to sell my F150. My girlfriend is getting serious about getting her accounting degree, and is going back to school full time. With her quitting her job, our income halved and our expenses went up(it turns out school costs money and people wont pay you if you don't work. WTF is up with that?). We lived pretty comfortably before, but as you may have guessed this was going to stretch the budget. So, we had to sit down and seriously review the finances. She drives a 2010 fusion sport, we got it at fire sale year end price with 60mos at 0%. My truck did not have as favorable loan terms(mostly because nothing looks favorable next to 0%). So, the rational minds prevailed and it was decided getting rid of the truck and keeping the car was the correct move. I ended up selling it for about a $5k hit from what I paid new, which I suppose isn't that bad but still doesn't make me happy. However, I guess I should just be excited that I sold a used truck for $33K in this economy. I really enjoyed my F150, and from the second I sold it I just started thinking about the next one I would be able to get. I am hoping that in a year to a year and a half she will be done and I can look at getting a new one. To make things worse(and to be honest, the far more important part), she is moving out of state to go back to school. I completely support the decision, and I understand that it is the correct move for our future. All that doesn't make it feel any better though. So I sold my truck, lost $5k, and my girlfriend of 5 years is moving out of state. It has been pretty much a fantastic couple of weeks for me.........

To end on a positive note, I suppose it does give me a year or two to carefully shop for my next truck, and I will get to see whats coming for 2013. So, I guess that is a bonus. In the meantime, i will keep checking the boards here. I find the community here to be fantastic, and I suppose posting here will be my last little connection to my old truck. Thank you guys for all of your helpful posts and inputs, and I look forward to planning my next truck with you guys...

Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Suspended
so let me get this straight.

Sold your truck.
She kept her new car.
She moves out of state.
She takes car?

I don't know about others, but i would NEVER pay for a gf to keep up her lifestyle if she isn't working. Good for her, but it's not your job as a bf to fund it. If she was your wife that's another thing but damn this might sound selfish but my truck, my money, she can drive a schwinn bicycle if that's all she can afford until were married.

edit: sorry if that sounds mean, hope you get back in a new truck soon. You do deserve it for making a huge sacrifice for her and i hope she does realize that.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 11-23-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I believe good things come to those who wait, if this whole situation works out (and I hope it does) you will get what you want. But after she finish`s school she will probably start looking to start a family, house ect. More money that needs to be saved and there is always something else in the near future. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
You didn't HAVE to sell your truck. You CHOSE to !!
However. I respect your decision to support your girlfriend and do what you did. Way to many people out there are living way above their means, driving vehicles they can't afford and are only a payment or 2 away from financial ruins. You seem to be smart enough to know when your are or will be, in over your head
So, now that your GF is leaving the state with a car that SHE can't afford, that Your apparently now paying for, What are you going to drive so you can get to work to earn the money to keep yourselves afloat financially?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I assume you gave some serious consideration to changing girl friends and keeping the truck!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f

Sold your truck.
She kept her new car.
She moves out of state.
She takes car?

I don't know about others, but i would NEVER pay for a gf to keep up her lifestyle if she isn't working. Good for her, but it's not your job as a bf to fund it. If she was your wife that's another thing but damn this might sound selfish but my truck, my money, she can drive a schwinn bicycle if that's all she can afford until were married.

edit: sorry if that sounds mean, hope you get back in a new truck soon. You do deserve it for making a huge sacrifice for her and i hope she does realize that.
Got to agree a 100 percent. Might I venture a guess and also say that you've
agreed on sending her a certain dollar amount weekly because she needs all
her free time to study and can't be distracted by work. Also what's wrong with the schools where you're at. It's not like she's shooting for a Law or
Medical degree, where a particular school might just matter. Sorry to hit this
so hard but facts are facts. I tried to maintain a HUGH relationship with a gal
at the Univ. of South Carolina while I worked on the railroad in Florida. It worked for about 6 months before it fizzled.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not a good deal.....I would've kept the truck and got a new gf.....imo...

Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I assume you gave some serious consideration to changing girl friends and keeping the truck!
Kind of what I was thinking. But hey I guess he loves her.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 AM
We've all got opinions, and opinions are like... Well...

Its unfortunate you have no insurances on this policy you wrote-especially while it expires in two years. Who says you or she are going to renew? Could get to be a pricey lesson.

Wish you the best of luck. Only you know what you are feeling and doing. Remember though, as said before, things only get more expensive. Love is blind, and marriage is an eye-opener.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
If you want this to work, both of you will have to make the move. This relationship with you in Alaska and her in Florida or wherever will not work. Don't kid yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5e0QkZNF1k

Old 11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f

Sold your truck.
She kept her new car.
She moves out of state.
She takes car?

I have to agree-- if you were married MAYBE-- but not the moving out of state part. Too many things could go wrong here. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Tough decision to sell, but times are hard for many people across the nation

Old 11-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Railroad
Got to agree a 100 percent.
Originally Posted by JPBeck
I have to agree-
Quoting because i will never have this many people agree with me again on here

Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You got played big time & I hope you learn from this!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
You got played big time & I hope you learn from this!

wait for the next thread

Quick Reply: A sad, sad day......