2009 - 2014 F-150

They warned me, but I did not listen!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They warned me, but I did not listen!!

I was warned not to buy American, especially Ford. But 9/09 I purchased a XLT 4.6, extended cab. Love the ride and the the look, but thats as far as it goes. With 40k I am having to replace the "solenoid canister purge valve", $315.00 out the door from dealer. Why the dealer you ask, because I was lucky to limp the truck into anywhere at the time, was stalling on me on the highway. Last week it wouldn't start one day and after a half a dozen attempts it started. Before this repair it was a fuel sensor in the tank. That repair would of cost 600 to 800 hundred dollars if not under warrantee. Unaceptable on a truck that's a couple years old. Can only imagine what repairs wait down the line. One more repair, one more time being stranded and I will be looking at Toyota as much as I don't like the looks of their trucks. At least I know they will start. Before the ford had a 95 Nizzan with 150k on the odo, never even had to replace the clutch. No wonder Detroit is a s*&^ town now because nothing but that comes froom it.
Think the F-150 by far is the best looking truck inside and out, ashame I cant rely on it!!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Its quite unfortunate that this has happened to you but all trucks have their pros and cons.....

A person would think that the emmisions warranty would of covered it..edit....looked of up, it has nothing to with the control of hydro carbons so thus is exempt from the emissions warranty.......it would be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty though......

BTW.....toyotas have them go bad also and they're more expensive.....

Last edited by 88racing; 11-29-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by florida64
I was warned not to buy American, especially Ford. But 9/09 I purchased a XLT 4.6, extended cab. Love the ride and the the look, but thats as far as it goes. With 40k I am having to replace the "solenoid canister purge valve", $315.00 out the door from dealer. Why the dealer you ask, because I was lucky to limp the truck into anywhere at the time, was stalling on me on the highway. Last week it wouldn't start one day and after a half a dozen attempts it started. Before this repair it was a fuel sensor in the tank. That repair would of cost 600 to 800 hundred dollars if not under warrantee. Unaceptable on a truck that's a couple years old. Can only imagine what repairs wait down the line. One more repair, one more time being stranded and I will be looking at Toyota as much as I don't like the looks of their trucks. At least I know they will start. Before the ford had a 95 Nizzan with 150k on the odo, never even had to replace the clutch. No wonder Detroit is a s*&^ town now because nothing but that comes froom it.
Think the F-150 by far is the best looking truck inside and out, ashame I cant rely on it!!
Enjoy the Toyota.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Old 11-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by florida64
One more repair, one more time being stranded and I will be looking at Toyota as much as I don't like the looks of their trucks. At least I know they will start.
but will they stop bwahaha lol

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Traded my 04 Toyota for the Lariat I've got now. Dang truck would never pass a gas station. My brother-in -law and nephew both just traded off
their Tundra's for the same reason. I had a 73 Trans Am with a 455,4-speed
and AC that got better gas milage. Almost forgot about the timing belt that
has to be changed at around 90 thousand miles, and if you don't think you'll
need to, go over to the Tundra forums and ask around. They'll be more than
happy to tell you.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
i thought

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles
but will they stop bwahaha lol
HaHa that is funny!! And to the other on here that says I should buy one already, a toyota.....Well I dont want to lose my but in buying a new truck. I was just venting here that a 25k truck should not have these kind of problems at 40k!! That's ridiculous, and that there is a pie chart somewhere that proves imports are less likely to cause problems in early ownnership.

Fo someone to say this is acceptable is either an idiot or just has more cash then they know what to do with it.....

I thought this was a place to place concerns about our trucks, but perhaps it's just a place for people to show how much money they are dumping in their trucks for stupid upgrades that know one cares about but themselves.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
If you perform preventative maintenance, and follow your maintenance schedule in the booklet, your truck would run alot better. I have 46,000 on my odo and the only thing I've had to do other than regular maintenance is replace my power steering fluid, and get my transmission computer reflashed. You should be taking your truck to the dealership to get your maintenance done too since its a newer vehicle. They know what to look for as far as wear and tear goes. You've got to protect your investment. And good luck with Toyota. They're put together with paper clips and bubblegum, get horrible gas mileage, and I've heard the brakes don't work

Last edited by brazzeal15; 11-29-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Toyotas suck a$$. I have a 04 super crew 4x4 with 162k on it with nothing done.
I also have a 05 F150 super crew 4x4 with 230,000 miles with nothing but a alt being changed. Quit being a b!tch and suck it up. Nothing's perfect. Or go ahead and get that Blowyota.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 PM
If you take care of your truck it will last forever.

Mine has 177000 miles on it and no MAJOR repairs
Brothers has 198000 on it, again, no MAJOR repairs.

And hundreds of other people have as many miles if not more on a ford with no major issues.

Are you aware that Toyota just recalled another 400,000 vehicles? Didnt think so...

D

Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I was warned not to buy American
You DO know that Tundras are built in San Antonio Texas USA, right?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You DO know that Tundras are built in San Antonio Texas USA, right?
Exactly, throw a rock anywhere in Alabama and you'll hit a foreign car builder.
We had guys leave the railroad and go to Mercedes for the regular hours and
not having to work out in the weather.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
So 2 repairs and you are about ready to jump ship?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
A person would think that the emmisions warranty would of covered it..edit....looked of up, it has nothing to with the control of hydro carbons so thus is exempt from the emissions warranty.......it would be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty though......
Yep only the cats, ECU, and ODB system are covered by a manditory 8 year 80k mile warranty, the rest is 2 years and 24k regardless if bought new or used or if your vehicle came with a warranty.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Old 11-29-2011, 02:22 PM
It seems Ford was doomed from the get go if ANYTHING happened because "They warned me, but I did not listen". Apparently you're getting crap from some people because of things that went wrong with your truck and it's not a toyota. Im sure these same "people" would blow off these exact problems if you happened to be in a turdra. Excuses like "at least they were so honest in making the repair under warranty", or "pffft, a $300 purge valve, once it's fixed you don't have to worry". I see it way too many times. Anti Ford folks bashing anytime something goes wrong, but when their import needs fixed it gets swept under the rug or make up an amazing excuse.
Hopefully your truck can now go a few years & many 1000 miles before anything happens, but remember it's still a machine and things WILL break. Even in "wonderful, awesome, exceptional" imports.

Quick Reply: They warned me, but I did not listen!!