2009 - 2014 F-150

ECOBOOST isn't its all cracked up to be!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
max tow with the eco allows you the option of 3.73 or 4.10's.

AWESOME...didn't know you could get the max tow on a FX4!! See...something useful to someone out of this thread afterall

Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richmoto125
poor mileage and turbo lag are great reasons not to buy one!
The troll is strong in this one, yes yes

Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
AWESOME...didn't know you could get the max tow on a FX4!! See...something useful to someone out of this thread afterall

Yessir, max tow with 4.10s is an option with the ecoboost in the Fx4. The salesman thought I was crazy when we were going through the order form, he didn't quite get the reason for insisting for the max tow and 4.10's...but the truck was destined to spend a LOT of time like this:

So I knew what I wanted, and ordered it that way. Pulls better than any gas engine I have ever driven, and just as good as my old 6.0 F250 (although that was slightly under-geared with 3.73's and 38" tires).

Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Langford
Yessir, max tow with 4.10s is an option with the ecoboost in the Fx4. The salesman thought I was crazy when we were going through the order form, he didn't quite get the reason for insisting for the max tow and 4.10's...but the truck was destined to spend a LOT of time like this:

So I knew what I wanted, and ordered it that way. Pulls better than any gas engine I have ever driven, and just as good as my old 6.0 F250 (although that was slightly under-geared with 3.73's and 38" tires).
EB max tow with 4.10's Looks alot like the parking lot at silver lake sand dunes?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by IDIeselman
EB max tow with 4.10's Looks alot like the parking lot at silver lake sand dunes?
Sure is, spend as much time there as possible between April 1st and October 31st. You a duner also?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Sure is, spend as much time there as possible between April 1st and October 31st. You a duner also?
I used to go every chance I could, Been three years since I have had the chance. Next year for sure!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Richmoto125
u should read around and talk to other people and see other results cause people are getting ****ty mileage out of the ecoboost!!! and are getting them worked on quite regularly !i haven't seen one that is getting better mileage than my 5.0
I really hate finding out about awesome things after i already made a big purchase too. I did some research and found that repeating or generating bad information and general trash talk wont put an eco boost in your driveway. I am sorry about that, and that my 3.5l puts up more impressive numbers and gets better milage than my smaller truck with smaller motor. Sorry that it's just all around, an amazing vehicle. From a guy that has had a few f-150's, THIS IS AMAZING, oh and the fact that this motor will probably out last the material its made out of has nothing to do with the appeal either. Im sure the local dealer will talk trade with you.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Since the OP was a bore....
Can I ask what the difference is in your EB Max Tow vs. the Std EB? I have the same truck () but not the Max Tow which Im assuming is just the mirrors and possibly the brake controller? I do have the 3.73 gear...Thx!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's exactly how mine would be spent. Plus, if you have any plans for a lift/35" tires, you're set!

I recently searched out another thread about the max tow package. I read every single post in that thread and not a single mention of the 4.10 gears...that's the #1 reason to get the max tow, just so you can get that!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by 05Bluefx4
Since the OP was a bore....
Can I ask what the difference is in your EB Max Tow vs. the Std EB? I have the same truck () but not the Max Tow which Im assuming is just the mirrors and possibly the brake controller? I do have the 3.73 gear...Thx!

According to Ford, the Max Tow package includes:

Upgraded Rear Bumper
Class IV trailer hitch receiver
7-Pin wiring harness
Upgraded Radiator
Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
Trailer brake controller
Selectshift transmission
Side Mirrors, black manual telescoping trailer tow w/power glass (includes heat, turn signal and puddle lamps)
Memory feature included with side mirrors when ordered with FX Luxury package

And you have to get the Max Tow package to get the 4.10 gear ratio.

Now if you look at the regular Trailer Tow package, that includes all of the above options, besides the mirrors, brake controller, 4.10 gear ratio, and it doesn't mention the upgraded rear bumper...but I haven't noticed my bumper looking any different than any other fx4 ...but maybe I haven't looked close enough, who knows.

This info was on Fords website for the 2012 (mine is a 2011, but I think its all the same)...I was under the impression that the standard tow package didn't include the aux trans oil cooler or upgraded radiator, but that may have just been an incorrect assumption on my part.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM
According to Ford, the Max Tow package includes:

Upgraded Rear Bumper
Class IV trailer hitch receiver
7-Pin wiring harness
Upgraded Radiator
Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
Trailer brake controller
Selectshift transmission
Side Mirrors, black manual telescoping trailer tow w/power glass (includes heat, turn signal and puddle lamps)
Memory feature included with side mirrors when ordered with FX Luxury package

And you have to get the Max Tow package to get the 4.10 gear ratio.

Now if you look at the regular Trailer Tow package, that includes all of the above options, besides the mirrors, brake controller, 4.10 gear ratio, and it doesn't mention the upgraded rear bumper...but I haven't noticed my bumper looking any different than any other fx4 ...but maybe I haven't looked close enough, who knows.

This info was on Fords website for the 2012 (mine is a 2011, but I think its all the same)...I was under the impression that the standard tow package didn't include the aux trans oil cooler or upgraded radiator, but that may have just been an incorrect assumption on my part.
This thread discusses the differences between max tow and regular tow packages in the EB. Also, the hitch assembly under the bumper is different between the two packages.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...heating-9.html

Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the Ecoboost pulling a heavy trailer is amazing and is a much different experience compared to a N/A V8.

Last edited by mcsewnab; 12-04-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Depends on who the cracker is.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I currently own a 2011 FX4 EB and I am completely pleased with it. When the EB first surfaced at the dealership I work at, I drove it. Yes I was impressed. But still not convinced. I am sure you all have heard the phrase "Don't send a boy out to do a mans job" Well I altered that " Don't send a 6cyl motor out to do a V8's job". Well when it came down to the day to buy. I drove both the EB and the 5.0L on the same road, same speed and on the highway with cruise set a 70 and the highway route has a nice 6 percent grade about 1/2 mile long- BTW- I live in WV, so we do have some pretty decent mountains to tackle. Anyways the 5.0L dropped to about 66 mph and had to downshift on that hill and the EB stayed at 70 and never downshifted. I pull a 34 Ft travel trailer weighing in at 7300 lbs dry. Yes I did get max trailer tow. So after driving them both i realized the EB had the most usable power throughout the full powerband. The 5.0L runs good off the line and clear through to 100 mph. I just tow my camper at least 2 weekends a month and felt that the EB would be the better choice and I am completely happy I went with it. I feel like i would have been working the 5.0L to death pulling on these hills. I am even running 305/65/18 BFG A/T's 10 ply and it still turns them over without a problem. I do wish i would have done the 4.10 gears though. hat would have made up for the tire size and weight of the tires which weigh 63 lbs a piece off the rim. Everyone is talking about fuel economy. Not trying to be a smarta**, but why have a truck if thats all you are worried about it fuel mileage???? Also, the fuel ratings on tv and advertising are 2wd trucks with 3.31 gears and completely flat land. Thats how all the automakers advertise their vehicles. Hope I didnt offend anyone by this post. Just wanted to add my thoughts and opinion on my EB. Which by the way I get 14 around the city, 9 pulling my 7300lbs travel trailer and I have not had it on a trip yet to see how the mileage is there.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by nathan08fx4
I currently own a 2011 FX4 EB and I am completely pleased with it. When the EB first surfaced at the dealership I work at, I drove it. Yes I was impressed. But still not convinced. I am sure you all have heard the phrase "Don't send a boy out to do a mans job" Well I altered that " Don't send a 6cyl motor out to do a V8's job". Well when it came down to the day to buy. I drove both the EB and the 5.0L on the same road, same speed and on the highway with cruise set a 70 and the highway route has a nice 6 percent grade about 1/2 mile long- BTW- I live in WV, so we do have some pretty decent mountains to tackle. Anyways the 5.0L dropped to about 66 mph and had to downshift on that hill and the EB stayed at 70 and never downshifted. I pull a 34 Ft travel trailer weighing in at 7300 lbs dry. Yes I did get max trailer tow. So after driving them both i realized the EB had the most usable power throughout the full powerband. The 5.0L runs good off the line and clear through to 100 mph. I just tow my camper at least 2 weekends a month and felt that the EB would be the better choice and I am completely happy I went with it. I feel like i would have been working the 5.0L to death pulling on these hills.
Did the 5.0 and EB both have the same differential/gear ratio?
Does the 5.0 have a 100 mph speed limiter?

Quick Reply: ECOBOOST isn't its all cracked up to be!