2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost or DBW fell on her face with horrible timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost or DBW fell on her face with horrible timing

This happened a few months back but forgot about it (a lot on my plate lately) But after reading about a similar problem in another forum, figured I'd share my experience in case anyone else has something similar happen to them.

My ecoboost (or maybe drive by wire?) took a dump at the worst possible time, while towing nothing at all. Had about 2800 miles on it and was stopped turning left at a 3-Way intersection that has a nasty curve oncoming from the direction I was turning that has a blindspot from trees. It's a 35, but @$$holes routinely fly around it going 50+. I started to pull out and saw one of them flying around the corner so I had to give it the beans to avoid getting t-boned, and absolutely nothing happened. It wasn't turbo lag, I sputtered across as I gradually built up speed like I had a moped engine in my truck. The guy had to slam on his breaks and had the nerve to lay on his horn. After the turn I took my foot off the gas and stomped on it again in anger while letting some expletives fly, and after a few seconds it woke back up, No codes/CEL's though, and it hasn't happened since. I haven't bothered calling the dealership because I know I'll get the "We couldn't replicate the problem" response and it will end up being a waste of my time.

With all that said I still love my Ecoboost, and am getting the Bully Dog Tuner tomorrow (Save the BD Hater posts, I've read them all before ).

Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
That sucks, glad nothing happened. Maybe its a glitch in the tune and the BD tune will over ride it.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
This happened a few months back but forgot about it (a lot on my plate lately) But after reading about a similar problem in another forum, figured I'd share my experience in case anyone else has something similar happen to them.

My ecoboost (or maybe drive by wire?) took a dump at the worst possible time, while towing nothing at all. Had about 2800 miles on it and was stopped turning left at a 3-Way intersection that has a nasty curve oncoming from the direction I was turning that has a blindspot from trees. It's a 35, but @$$holes routinely fly around it going 50+. I started to pull out and saw one of them flying around the corner so I had to give it the beans to avoid getting t-boned, and absolutely nothing happened. It wasn't turbo lag, I sputtered across as I gradually built up speed like I had a moped engine in my truck. The guy had to slam on his breaks and had the nerve to lay on his horn. After the turn I took my foot off the gas and stomped on it again in anger while letting some expletives fly, and after a few seconds it woke back up, No codes/CEL's though, and it hasn't happened since. I haven't bothered calling the dealership because I know I'll get the "We couldn't replicate the problem" response and it will end up being a waste of my time.

With all that said I still love my Ecoboost, and am getting the Bully Dog Tuner tomorrow (Save the BD Hater posts, I've read them all before ).
I had a 2009 Lincoln MKS with the 3.7L that did the same thing to me, twice, once on an on-ramp to a busy freeway and once in a non-dangerous situation. No codes and the dealer never heard of such a thing, even called the ford engineers, who never heard of such a thing. I've seen similar posts from time to time about this. It's a rotten feeling, you floor it in a dicey situation and absolutely nothing happens. Hasn't happened in any of my F150's yet. I'd love to find out what the cause is. It's not drive by wire lag, either. In both situations for me it was at least 4 to 5 seconds, the longer you stay mashed to the floor, the more you slow down. Only by letting up on the pedal did the vehicle attempt to resume regular speed.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a ecu glitch between the pedal and the throttle body motor.....

Or even traction control taking over.....

Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Gir
I've had it too in a similar position. I'd be waiting for a hole in the steady stream of oncoming cars, assertively press on the gas only to get some scary hesitation.

I brought it into the dealer after the second occurance but they said they could not duplicate the event and gave the truck back to me.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
My 3.7 F150 has done the same thing a couple times. The first time on stock tune. Second with a mild 5 Star tune.

I believe that it's a combination of drive by wire and adaptive stragety.

This wouldn't be a major issue, in a perfect world. This world is far from perfect though, and it is a problem.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
this is why i love my drive by wire (cable)

Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by str8t six
this is why i love my drive by wire (cable)
What happens if there's a glitch that causes no fuel to be injected? All that air and no fuel = BOGGGGGGGGG

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I just don't understand WTF is going on with such an important function. When you need go it should go. I just hope no one gets in an accident due to this problem. I have read to many bog accounts to chalk it up to anything but the engin/drive train controls. I want one of these trucks but not till I see this problem is taken care of.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 PM
The delay when I mash the throttle in my truck (2WD EB screw) is ridiculous. It's the ONE thing I absolutely hate about this truck. I love everything else, but the throttle response is terrible.

It's on par with my dad's powerstroke. Mash the throttle, wait a while, take off.

And I'm talking about hard acceleration, not mundane around-town driving. When I 'need' to hurry onto a 50mph street from a side street, I'd better wait for a big gap or mash the throttle right before the car I'm merging behind passes me so I'm taking off by the time it passes me.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by hemigod
I had a 2009 Lincoln MKS with the 3.7L that did the same thing to me, twice, once on an on-ramp to a busy freeway and once in a non-dangerous situation. No codes and the dealer never heard of such a thing, even called the ford engineers, who never heard of such a thing. I've seen similar posts from time to time about this. It's a rotten feeling, you floor it in a dicey situation and absolutely nothing happens. Hasn't happened in any of my F150's yet. I'd love to find out what the cause is. It's not drive by wire lag, either. In both situations for me it was at least 4 to 5 seconds, the longer you stay mashed to the floor, the more you slow down. Only by letting up on the pedal did the vehicle attempt to resume regular speed.
Ok I had a customer with the same problem, I drove it all weekend and it was fine, I let him have the truck back and he called me and said it did it on the way home, So I told he to bring it back and we both rode together and it did it with me in the truck!! I don't know why it does it BUT it will not do it with TRACTION CONTROL OFF.. He drove it for 2 weeks and works fine as long as TC is off. I reflashed the ECM and so far so good...

Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
What happens if there's a glitch that causes no fuel to be injected? All that air and no fuel = BOGGGGGGGGG
it was a joke. the same can be said for a carb'd motor.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by M.YANCEY
Ok I had a customer with the same problem, I drove it all weekend and it was fine, I let him have the truck back and he called me and said it did it on the way home, So I told he to bring it back and we both rode together and it did it with me in the truck!! I don't know why it does it BUT it will not do it with TRACTION CONTROL OFF.. He drove it for 2 weeks and works fine as long as TC is off. I reflashed the ECM and so far so good...
Thank you for your tech input....

Why does Ford make us have to turn the TC off if we don't want it?

A lot of other vehicles mainly the gm sports cars that I have driven you flip a switch and leave it where you want it, the driver has that option without constant turning it off everytime the vehicle is started...

Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 88racing
Why does Ford make us have to turn the TC off if we don't want it?
A lot of other vehicles mainly the gm sports cars that I have driven you flip a switch and leave it where you want it, the driver has that option without constant turning it off everytime the vehicle is started...
it's a sports car not a truck would be my guess.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I understand the need for Ford to delay full power onset, especially with the EB and the light duty base V6.

The first time I experianced the delay was from a dead stop. I wanted to scrape the pavement for effect, becasue I was mad. It fell flat for what seemed like five seconds before gradually taking off. I think that in this situation Ford is trying to keep parts from breaking.

The second time that I experianced a delay was trying to exit the highway. I needed to change lanes to get to my off ramp but when I put the pedal down it only downshifted one gear (5th) and was very slow to accelerate. I let up on the pedal and then back down to the floor, with NO response. I repeted this a couple more times with the same result. I made my exit but I believe that I'd become an obstruction to others in traffic. If I'd known the truck was going to react this way, I would have planned a different manuver.

I have the 5 Star tunes in there, which do help to access the power more readily. It picks up better from a stop, but it's not going to scrub the pavement. It pulls harder once the engine builds rpms. It usually pulls hard when passing at highway speeds too, downshifting a couple gears to put it in the power band. I believe the time that it wouldn't go on the highway, the conditions were just so where it wouldn't react the way I anticipated it would. Most of the time it does what I want it to.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost or DBW fell on her face with horrible timing