2009 - 2014 F-150

F-150: Motor Trend's Truck of the Year!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
I know if i was towing much more weight (6-6500lbs right now+gear) i'd have gone with a 3/4 ton instead. No sense in nearly being maxed out, and for bigger trailers a larger truck would be nice.
to each his own I guess. And I had a diesel and it was costly, I loved it though. Really any half ton is capable of 9-10k these days, assuming you have the V8 or ecoboost and the right rear end. I know I am towing close to capacity but I am still under, and to be honest the EB tows no different then my F250 did. Most of my towing with that boat is 50miles round trip from memorial to labor day, two people and a bag. Now if I was towing 3-4hours up and down hills both ways with 4 guys then yeah my outlook might be different. just couldnt justify the expense of a diesel when it accounted for 700-800 miles of my yearly 7-10k miles. Specially when there was something like the EB that could tow it.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by 54regcab
The US needs to get with it and put diesels in more vehicles like they do everywhere else in the world. In Europe many cars can and are bought as diesels, why such a delay in the US? I'm not sold on turbo gasoline engines until I start seeing 100K+ out of them.
I agree the only problem is MAINT on diesels is double the cost and it cost 50-80 cents more a gallon for it. So really if you have a 40mpg diesel car its only getting equivalent to a 30mpg gas car because of the added cost. Due to the cost of diesel I dont think youll ever see that idea come about here.

I am also kind of wondering what the turbo gas engine will do, but at the same time turbos are not horrible for engines like a blower is, so they might be fine. Then again I dont plan on keeping cars past 100k so it doesnt matter to me.

To be honest with you I love the EB and what it does, but I would love my diesel back but until they can get at least 15-17 city and diesel comes down to equal the price of gas or less, I just cant justify it anymore.

Pretty much the savings I having in filling up with gas instead of using diesel is paying my car note now.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by nards444
to each his own I guess. And I had a diesel and it was costly, I loved it though. Really any half ton is capable of 9-10k these days, assuming you have the V8 or ecoboost and the right rear end. I know I am towing close to capacity but I am still under, and to be honest the EB tows no different then my F250 did. Most of my towing with that boat is 50miles round trip from memorial to labor day, two people and a bag. Now if I was towing 3-4hours up and down hills both ways with 4 guys then yeah my outlook might be different. just couldnt justify the expense of a diesel when it accounted for 700-800 miles of my yearly 7-10k miles. Specially when there was something like the EB that could tow it.
my last truck was a powerstroke, i'm not saying buy a diesel just a 3/4 ton for size.

mileage is similar between my f150 and f250. before all my mods i had done i was getting 16 city/20 highway in a crew cab 4wd which is about what i get in my 5.0

If i wasn't so quick to buy my newest truck i'd have probably gone with a 2011 6.2 f250 instead.

edit: my friends new 6.7 powerstroke he claims he's getting better mpg than me.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
my last truck was a powerstroke, i'm not saying buy a diesel just a 3/4 ton for size.

mileage is similar between my f150 and f250. before all my mods i had done i was getting 16 city/20 highway in a crew cab 4wd which is about what i get in my 5.0

If i wasn't so quick to buy my newest truck i'd have probably gone with a 2011 6.2 f250 instead.

yeah that 6.7 is a monster no doubt, But i have talked to plenty of guys at the pump and their numbers were no better than my 6.4l then the EB came out and I bought that, I was almost going to buy a 6.7. I see what your saying about the 3/4 ton but a 3/4 ton with a gas engine is even worse on power and mileage. And the 3/4 as we seen above has no more payload than the EB does. So your really paying for a truck that can tow 2000more lbs, which if you need it fine, but if you are towing under 10k you are grossly wasting money IMVHO.

Last edited by nards444; 12-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
That's not bad, but I thought you were going to say a higher number for a F-250. The 2012 F-150 SuperCrew is rated at 2310 lbs in the book in 4x4 and over 2600 lbs in 4x2. We haven't seen any payload stickers yet for the new heavy payload SuperCrew F-150, but I have to guess they will both be easily over 2000 lbs with options. It's a good time to buy a F-150.
Honestly, I was expecting a bit more with the F250 as well, but I do have the 20" wheels, which cause it to take a hit too. Keep in mind, the numbers in the book will be higher than the actual number on the door jamb...probably buy a few hundred pounds.

I know if i was towing much more weight (6-6500lbs right now+gear) i'd have gone with a 3/4 ton instead. No sense in nearly being maxed out, and for bigger trailers a larger truck would be nice.
Bingo! The difference in going from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton truck is pretty substantial. I know part of the difference is bumper pull to fifth wheel, but my F250 is much more stable towing a 9k fifth wheel than my F150 was pulling a 5k travel trailer. There is just no comparison...the F150 was great, but the F250 just seems so much more planted. Not just power, but the total package. Like you, I would probably draw the line around 6-7k for an F150, no matter what Ford says it will tow.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM

My dad has a 6.7, and towing a comparable fifth wheel to what I tow, he gets about 30% better fuel economy than me (9-10 for me, 12-13 for him). Empty, he gets about 20-25% better fuel economy (20-21 on highway trips). He does have the 3.31 to my 3.73, but the 6.7 is one sweet engine! Had it not been 14k more than the '08 I bought with only 26k on it, I would be driving one instead of my 6.4.

Looking back though, like you, I would have probably bought a 2011 6.2 F250. I'm only towing about 9k, so I don't really NEED the diesel, but wow is it a towing machine!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Honestly, I was expecting a bit more with the F250 as well, but I do have the 20" wheels, which cause it to take a hit too. Keep in mind, the numbers in the book will be higher than the actual number on the door jamb...probably buy a few hundred pounds.

Bingo! The difference in going from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton truck is pretty substantial. I know part of the difference is bumper pull to fifth wheel, but my F250 is much more stable towing a 9k fifth wheel than my F150 was pulling a 5k travel trailer. There is just no comparison...the F150 was great, but the F250 just seems so much more planted. Not just power, but the total package. Like you, I would probably draw the line around 6-7k for an F150, no matter what Ford says it will tow.
My F250 towed my boat well and maybe a little better, but no noticeable difference that I can tell really. If you think 6-7k is it for a half ton than I would have to respectfully disagree. Chevy's base can tow 9 something dodges hemi is 10,300. I towed a 5k boat with my 2007 chevy and it was nothing, has a lot of left in her. Anybody can do what they want and dont let others influence you but, 6-7k is childs play to these half tons these days.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM
My dad has a 6.7, and towing a comparable fifth wheel to what I tow, he gets about 30% better fuel economy than me (9-10 for me, 12-13 for him). Empty, he gets about 20-25% better fuel economy (20-21 on highway trips). He does have the 3.31 to my 3.73, but the 6.7 is one sweet engine! Had it not been 14k more than the '08 I bought with only 26k on it, I would be driving one instead of my 6.4.

Looking back though, like you, I would have probably bought a 2011 6.2 F250. I'm only towing about 9k, so I don't really NEED the diesel, but wow is it a towing machine!
what kind of weight is he towing to use 3.31 rear end?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
My F250 towed my boat well and maybe a little better, but no noticeable difference that I can tell really. If you think 6-7k is it for a half ton than I would have to respectfully disagree. Chevy's base can tow 9 something dodges hemi is 10,300. I towed a 5k boat with my 2007 chevy and it was nothing, has a lot of left in her. Anybody can do what they want and dont let others influence you but, 6-7k is childs play to these half tons these days.
I should have specified a bit more. I'm talking travel trailers, or box trailers. Boats are much more aerodynamic to tow than travel trailers and are much easier to tow. Not just wind resistance, but cross winds and turbulence from passing trucks. With a travel trailer, much more weight than 7k needs to be behind a 3/4 ton truck (IMHO of course).

what kind of weight is he towing to use 3.31 rear end?
Around 9k...a fifth wheel travel trailer. That is the standard rear end with the 6.7L unless you bump up to 20" wheels (he has the standard 18"ers). It will hold in O/D most of the time...it is a torque monster!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I should have specified a bit more. I'm talking travel trailers, or box trailers. Boats are much more aerodynamic to tow than travel trailers and are much easier to tow. Not just wind resistance, but cross winds and turbulence from passing trucks. With a travel trailer, much more weight than 7k needs to be behind a 3/4 ton truck (IMHO of course).

Around 9k...a fifth wheel travel trailer. That is the standard rear end with the 6.7L unless you bump up to 20" wheels (he has the standard 18"ers). It will hold in O/D most of the time...it is a torque monster!
thats interesting on the 6.7 with the gears. My 6.4 had 3.55 which I dont know if the off road package had something to with it. I guess you would have to determine what kind of load, a 7k travel trailer would take lots of wind. It depends on your distance. If your talking camping within an hour, I would say ehh take the smaller truck, but if your a cross country dude then yeah diesel baby.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
thats interesting on the 6.7 with the gears. My 6.4 had 3.55 which I dont know if the off road package had something to with it. I guess you would have to determine what kind of load, a 7k travel trailer would take lots of wind. It depends on your distance. If your talking camping within an hour, I would say ehh take the smaller truck, but if your a cross country dude then yeah diesel baby.
Yeah, I agree there. If not going very far, then you can stretch the limits a bit more. It's also a huge difference if you are taking highways or 2-lane back roads. We took our fifth wheel to Branson, MO (about a 4-hour drive from us here in central MO, mostly interstate or 4-lane highways) this summer, and I was definitely glad I had my F250. The hills just outside of Branson are pretty rough (I know it's not the Rockies, but it is the Ozarks! ), but the truck didn't miss a beat. The tow/haul works great and I barely had to touch the brakes or the accelerator. Just let the cruise have it's way. I couldn't do that with my F150.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I agree there. If not going very far, then you can stretch the limits a bit more. It's also a huge difference if you are taking highways or 2-lane back roads. We took our fifth wheel to Branson, MO (about a 4-hour drive from us here in central MO, mostly interstate or 4-lane highways) this summer, and I was definitely glad I had my F250. The hills just outside of Branson are pretty rough (I know it's not the Rockies, but it is the Ozarks! ), but the truck didn't miss a beat. The tow/haul works great and I barely had to touch the brakes or the accelerator. Just let the cruise have it's way. I couldn't do that with my F150.
Yeah that semi kind of engine brake the F250 had was nice. I cant beleive the 6.7 is paired with 3.31s, I would imagine you get better gas but your towing has to be dminished.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
I cant beleive the 6.7 is paired with 3.31s, I would imagine you get better gas but your towing has to be dminished.
That's what is great about the new 6 speed tranny paired with the 6.7. It has a great spread, and it works well with the 3.31's if you aren't towing massive weight. Basically, if you don't need a dually to tow it, the 3.31's are fine. With 800 lb-ft of torque on tap, it does fine. I think in the SRW models, 3.55 is the highest you can get...and ONLY if you get the 20" wheels.

Quick Reply: F-150: Motor Trend's Truck of the Year!