Driveshaft yoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft yoke

Allright. Here goes.
2011 FX4 SCREW 6'5
9800 kms

Had the truck in for the driveshaft yoke shudder issue. The dealer stated they "lubed" the yoke and it was fine now. Unfortunately the shudder is now worse than before. Can someone explain to me what the exact reason why the yoke is causing the shudder. I'm trying to deal with Ford dealer before calling the customer line and complain. Is it a faulty part, design issue or a combination? Never had a truck do this and it's frustrating to say the least. Any help would be appreciated. And a link to a full version of a PDF of the yoke shudder TSB would be fantastic as well. Thanks guys.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
when do you get the shudder? im feeling a shudder when starting off from stop but always in first gear. Dunno if its the gear or the shudder of the drive shaft slip yoke. My last truck had it due to the LSD, this truck don't have that.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I have it just before stopping and just starting off from a stop.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Mine is in the shop right now with the same problem --- second time in 33K miles...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
The first time I experienced this issue the dealership found the slip yoke had not been lubricated at the factory. This time they replaced the entire drive shaft. Everything is fine once again...

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM
F150 Driveshaft Slip Yoke Repair

Okay, same problem. Here is what I did.

Truck: I have a 2010 F150, Extended cab with 6 1/2 foot bed.

Problem: Slip yoke would make a slight "bump" noise on slow take off.

Ford Says: I went to Ford to get it addressed under warranty (truck has $45K miles). They said it was a maintenance issue, and not covered under warranty. The repair would cost $170 if they did the work ($50 in parts, rest in labor). I purchased the parts identified in the Technical Bulletin ($53 total).

NOTE: you don't need anything but the special lube. The new rubber boot was not needed because the old one was still is good shape. Don't waste $12 each on the special clamp, as standard hose clamps will work just fine. My mechanic says the special lube is not needed either, just any gear grease will work. But, I followed Ford's recommendation and used their special lube. Which was: Polytetraflourothylene (PTFE). This stuff is blue in color, says it is good for: "Eliminates grunt type noise in driveshaft slip yokes, eliminates interior and exterior squeaks, good general purpose grease for use on plastic, rubber and metal." Boy, they got the first part right, and I like their description: "grunt noise"!!! The lube was $10.

The repair was easy.
1. Mark a line where the driveshaft attached to the rear transfer case (there is an attachment plate on that end). Mark the front of the driveshaft where the slip yoke comes together. The Mark will ensure the reassembled parts are the same orientation as the previous condition.
2. Unbolt the driveshaft from rear transfer case. There are four 12-point bolts.
3. Once the rear bolts are off, bust loose the clamps on the slip yoke boot. The driveshaft will come loose.
4. I followed the instructions in the technical bulletin by removing all existing grease, and wiped everything clean (do not use anything to clean the parts, just wipe clean). 5. The instructions suggest using 1/2 the contents tube of lube on the slip yoke parts. 6. Put the old boot and clamps in place, then reassemble the slip yoke. Don't tighten down the clamps yet.
7. Reassemble the drive shaft to the rear transfer case. I did not use a torgue wrench, I just tightened as hard as I could.
8. Next, and final step was to tighten down the hose clamps.

How is it working now? All is well, the "grunt" noise is gone. This repair was done about a month ago, and the grunt noise is still gone.

Special note:
What I did notice was the amount of grease used from the factory and the recommended repair. When I pulled apart the yoke, I noticed very little grease. The amount of grease that I used in the repair was much much more, by about 50X times.

I hope this helps you in your repair. I know that I rely on these Forums for my knowledge.

KK

Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Dealer did mine under warranty. The tech pointed out that I needed it.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:53 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Dealer did mine under warranty. The tech pointed out that I needed it.
Ditto....but after 3 previous trips where they only tried a reflash to 'fix' it. After they did the work as per TSB 12-7-13, all is well (knocking on wood). Basically, it just calls for lubing of the slip yoke with the PTFE stuff.

As a side not, I don't see how Ford considers this a 'service/maintenance' issue when mine had a slight bump even with only a couple hundred miles. Are they saying this needs to be 'serviced' every couple hundred miles? What a joke....

Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DewserB
Ditto....but after 3 previous trips where they only tried a reflash to 'fix' it. After they did the work as per TSB 12-7-13, all is well (knocking on wood). Basically, it just calls for lubing of the slip yoke with the PTFE stuff.

As a side not, I don't see how Ford considers this a 'service/maintenance' issue when mine had a slight bump even with only a couple hundred miles. Are they saying this needs to be 'serviced' every couple hundred miles? What a joke....
I took mine in for the tranny reflash to eliminate the banging into 1st gear when you just barely get rolling and let off the gas(in a parking lot, etc). The tech that did the reflash told me to remind them on my next oil change and they would lube the slip yoke. I did, and it is noticably smoother on take off and stops as well.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I took mine in for the tranny reflash to eliminate the banging into 1st gear when you just barely get rolling and let off the gas(in a parking lot, etc). The tech that did the reflash told me to remind them on my next oil change and they would lube the slip yoke. I did, and it is noticably smoother on take off and stops as well.
I noticed the same thing after the slip yoke lube. Much smoother overall, and it definitely seems to have fixed any shifting issues.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If it were a maintenance issue, it would be addressed in the maintenance requirements. Your dealer is jacking with you.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 AM
If Ford thought this was a maintiance issue....wouldnt they put a zerk fitting on the yoke??
I have had to have mine done twice in 50k miles...and yes I called Ford customer care when the dealer wanted to charge for the second time!! I think the tsb should call for a servicable part..not a pull apart and reassemble for "maintiance"!! We have a service point to put oil in our motors don't we?

Andy

Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Win/win situation for the FoMoCo.

The company saves thousands by NOT installing a zirk fitting, then makes hundreds of thousands in the 'vehicle maintanance' department.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 AM
I just had TSB 12-07-13 performed on my 2010 F150 last Friday.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft yoke