2009 - 2014 F-150

Buying New Truck...Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
If you are going to run 35's with 3.73's, you need the Ecoboost. It has a lot more torque down low than the 5.0. If you can't stomach that, then you need a premium model with the 6.2. If you get a 5.0, you WILL be regearing it when you put the big tires on.
My 5.4 3.73 does pretty well now...did not need to re-gear. Yes, it's a noticeable loss of low end torque, especially right after I switch to/from my winter tires which are 275's. But I'm not drag racing it, and it tows hay wagons and sled trailer without issue.

I'm not going to jump right into mod'ing, and with a new family, the 35's are probably just a dream.

Definitely getting a leveling kit and 32-33" tires...I hate the way that Fords have such a low forward rake as compared to other trucks.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Gears aside, what's the story on the new lockers? I see Limited Slip isn't a cheap/standard option any more.

I want something that's going to drive both/all the wheels when I lock her into 4x4 to get out of a muddy goose field while pulling a decoy trailer, or get up into our snowy camp driveway while pulling a sled trailer and sleds. One wheel spin isn't going to cut it.

I haven't seen many videos on youtube showing the differences between them or while showing them work in adverse (muddy/snowy) conditions.

Any real world opinions/stories of either locking diffs?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:43 PM

People like the LS for everyday driving. The locker is only able to lock in 4wd. The locker is the best option for when you know you will be needing 4wd and need the traction, so it sounds like you may benefit from it since you need it for those specific times. Some say the new traction control on these trucks make up for the lack of LS. And I've used my locker several times, it did what it says locks the rear up to 25mph on 4hi, and worked great for me.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 12-30-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Carlsmarl,

My last truck was a '11 6.7 twin turbo powerstroke diesel that would pull a telephone pole down. We sold both our 5th wheel and 6.7 truck before thanksgiving and I downgraded to the F150. I have a '12 F150 Platinum 4x4 EcoBoost now (and I researched the heck out of these trucks).

My '05 F150 Lariat 4x4 had the 5.4 and 3.73 rear axle. Great truck and towed fine on the interstate until you wanted to climb a hill with 6000lb trailer. Then it would drop down to 2nd gear and scream bloody murder at 4-5k rpm all the way to the top. Alot has changed since then.

The new 6 speed auto transmission is designed for two things: Fuel economy and maximizing towing. The transmission gets you up to a high gear like 5 or 6 as soon as possible for the fuel economy. For towing, you have more gears and ratios than the 4 speed auto had and will do just fine with 3.55 gears. If you get the FX4, no choice on rear axle gears though (I think). My 6.7 diesel had the 3.55 eld; however, it was a torque monster.

It seems to be easier for some of the powerstroke diesel guys to move to the EcoBoost vs the aspirated engine owners. We're already used to the turbo. The same technology used in the EcoBoost turbo has already been used on the new Powerstroke 6.7 diesel. It is solid technology and its not that new anymore.

There is the "oh no, it's a turbo, it's bad because it will cost you a million dollars to fix when it breaks in 3yrs and 1 day from now." I've heard all the arguments. I even had one friend basically disown me because I didn't get the 5.0. Knowing what I know about the 6.7 PSD turbo, getting the EB was really a no-brainer for me.

The selling point for the EcoBoost is not how fast it is off the line or the better mpg, but the low end torque for towing. That is where the true power and beauty of the engine is and what drew me to the EcoBoost. If I'm buying a new truck why would I not want the most torque I could get? It is closer to diesel power than the other gas engines in the line-up except for the 6.2. The 6.2 is the stuff but it drinks gas like a college kid drinks beer during rush. Nothing wrong with the 5.0 but the EB has a better power band.

The pro and the con for the EcoBoost are one in the same: it's new technology. There's just not an overwhelming reason to eliminate the EB from consideration because its new. Preference is one thing and some guys just want a V8. Nothing wrong with that. I've heard the saying" there is no replacement for displacement". That's what the Hemi guys say. (I have a Hemi powered Durango with 3.92 rear axle by the way) I think that saying will not be a blanket statement so much in the near future.

If you're into modding engines, maybe the 5.0 is a better choice.

To sum up, I'm getting the advertised mileage as listed on the sticker. The motor is quiet, gets good fuel mileage, and runs good.

Pick your poison!! Good luck!! (shopping is half the fun)

Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM
skip the small stuff and go for a new raptor!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by walkerfx4
skip the small stuff and go for a new raptor!!!
SuperCrew and 6.5' bed?

And can I get it without the ghey decals?

Also for the EB, do you have to run premium gas to get best mpg's and power? If so, wouldn't one be better off with the 5.0 for gas savings alone?

What about 6.2 same with premium gas?

Last edited by carlschmarl2; 12-30-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM
No, EB & 6.2 all make advertised HP on 87 octane, unlike GM's 6.2L that makes 408hp on premium and 378hp on 87.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
Really? are we going to start another pissing match over the eco vs. 5.0? Power and mileage is going to suffer on both motors with 35's and stock gearing. Want 35's, power, and MPG then regear.
Can't I state a FACT without you jumping down my throat? The EB has more torque than the 5.0, especially down low. The 5.0 winds up like a cheap watch - plenty of high end horsepower.

I'm even going to say it again - to the OP, if you want 3.55's and 35" tires, get an EB or a 6.2 if you do NOT want to regear. A regeared 5.0 will be JUST FINE.

Last edited by glc; 12-31-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Can't I state a FACT without you jumping down my throat? The EB has more torque than the 5.0, especially down low. The 5.0 winds up like a cheap watch - plenty of high end horsepower.

I'm even going to say it again - to the OP, if you want 3.55's and 35" tires, get an EB or a 6.2 if you do NOT want to regear. A regeared 5.0 will be JUST FINE.
Not entirely sold on 3.55. I currently have 3.73 and 35's and it does just fine.

I'm not likely to add a lift to this truck. Leveling kit and maybe an AAL.

Is the LS on the way out? Is that why it's an additional charge? Are the other two options even worth considering?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I think the only way to get a LS now is with a max tow package with 3.73's. Everything else is either open or e-locker. You can't get a max tow with a 5.0, only a EB or 6.2.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:10 PM
What are the Pros and Cons of the E-Locker versus the Limited Slip?

Also, do they offer the 4x4 with a manual shift or is it all electronic now?

Sorry for so many questions guys, but I appreciate all the replies. I want to be semi educated before I go to talk to the con men at the stealership.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carlschmarl2
What are the Pros and Cons of the E-Locker versus the Limited Slip?

Also, do they offer the 4x4 with a manual shift or is it all electronic now?

Sorry for so many questions guys, but I appreciate all the replies. I want to be semi educated before I go to talk to the con men at the stealership.
You can only get the manual transfer case on an XL with the 3.7 V6.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM

^ did you not read post #18?

Originally Posted by ruffn-it
People like the LS for everyday driving. The locker is only able to lock in 4wd. The locker is the best option for when you know you will be needing 4wd and need the traction, so it sounds like you may benefit from it since you need it for those specific times. Some say the new traction control on these trucks make up for the lack of LS. And I've used my locker several times, it did what it says locks the rear up to 25mph on 4hi, and worked great for me.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by nards444
With the 6.2 your not getting any better towing capabilites than than the 5.0 and EB. Only thing your getting is a gas hog and maybe a little quicker truck

The 6.2 has better towing capabilities than the 5.0 and the same as the EB.

I get an easy 18-19 mpg with my 6.2 (max tow, 3.73's, screw, platinum) at highway speeds (65-70 mph at 1600 rpm), and have averaged as high as 16-17 with 20% city and 80% highway driving. What does everyone else get with this exact same configuration?

A 6.2 Raptor... sure it'll suck gas but for obvious reasons (heavier, bigger tires, 4.10 gearing, etc), and its the only truck that others use for comparison when talking the 6.2.

Now a 5.0 or EB with different gearing, 2wd, non screw etc.... surely they'll do better, but will be very little difference when similarly equipped to the 6.2 (which only comes in 1 configuration - max tow).

Last edited by Countryboy8602; 01-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Countryboy8602
The 6.2 has better towing capabilities than the 5.0 and the same as the EB.

I get an easy 18-19 mpg with my 6.2 (max tow, 3.73's, screw, platinum) at highway speeds (65 mph at 1600 rpm), and have averaged as high as 16-17 with 20% city and 80% highway driving. What does everyone else get with this exact configuration?

A 6.2 Raptor... sure it'll suck gas but for obvious reasons (heavier, bigger tires, 4.10 gearing, etc), and its the only truck that others use for comparison when talking the 6.2.

Now a 5.0 or EB with different gearing, 2wd, non screw etc.... surely they'll do better, but will be very little difference when similarly equipped to the 6.2 (which only comes in 1 configuration - max tow).
True and thats what I have is the max tow in the EB. really the EB and 6.2l is not light year ahead of the 5.0 but it is ahead of it. IMVHO these big engines are just a marketing tool just like the ford V-10 that was out there. 10 years ago when nothing else was out there these engines did the heavy work that todays engines like the EB, 5.0 or hemi now do. And it was an alternative to a diesel. You drive 75 in that 6.2 and tow 9-10k the fuel will be horrible guarenteed.

Again IMVHO I would never own a big block in a truck eventhough a 6.2 really isnt a big block. To me they sell because I think they feel as if people will buy because its 5-7 grand cheaper than a diesel, but you dont get near the towing of diesel and your towing is the same or only minimally larger than other half tons. And your really talking about the same if not worse operating cost than a diesel but I guess you would still save on Maint cost. I just wonder how many years these big monster engines will be in trucks, if you look at sales they only account for like 6-10%. Really I think you step down into a smaller gasser save money on operating cost and get the same performance or pay the diesel premium and get better towing.

Last edited by nards444; 01-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying New Truck...Suggestions