2009 - 2014 F-150

Buying New Truck...Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we finally got a dusting of snow here in WI so in going to test drive trucks tomorrow afternoon and se how they do in the snow with the e-locker.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Go with the new Raptor or a FX4. Both great looking trucks, but I don't know much about their performance.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by BowsAndHoes
Go with the new Raptor or a FX4. Both great looking trucks, but I don't know much about their performance.
Can't afford a Raptor, and I don't think they come with screw and 6.5' box.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Raptor is very cool but is very impractical and costly. If you got 50k to be cool or seriously need it for off road work, its not really worth the coin your shelling out for something that cant tow anything more than the EB>

Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I believe I've seen a Screw Raptor, unlike the original, but I could be mistaken. I don't know much about it, but it looks great without a bunch of things added to it.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM

yes they have a raptor screws but they only come with a 5.5 foot bed

Last edited by ruffn-it; 01-03-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM
You'd want to check, too, as I think the payload severely suffers as does the trailer capability on the Raptor.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
I appreciate all the replies guys, but AGAIN, I am not getting a Raptor.

So back on topic:

What motor do you have?

Gears?

And what 4x4 locker?

How do you like it?

What are the pros and cons of an e-locker over the LS?

I do some mild towing of 21' tandem axle boat trailer and enclosed snowmobile trailer. What 4x4/motor/rear end option(s) is best for getting up a wet boat ramp, sled trailer on snowy conditions and/or up an un-plowed camp driveway, and into and out of muddy goose/duck hunting fields?

While under normal, daily driving, do you always have the e-locker engaged? Even when on two wheel drive?

I've read where the e-locker (when active) disengages at 25mph. What good is that if you are stuck in the mud or snow and need to spin the tires faster than that to clear them out?

What is "traction control" like? Can that be disengaged? The reason I ask is because our 08 Trailblazer has "Stabilatrack" and it sucks. When accelerating across a snowy intersection from a dead stop, the traction kicks on and shuts everything down. Then you find yourself barely able to creep across without getting hit by oncoming traffic. In addition to that, when in 4x4, and TC off, it will eventually come back on if you are spinning too much. For example, last year we tried to drive it up our snowed in camp driveway. If you've driven in snow, you know that speed and forward momentum are key, well after some spinning, the damn TC overrode and was shutting power down when it was needed most to keep momentum to get up the hill.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by carlschmarl2
I appreciate all the replies guys, but AGAIN, I am not getting a Raptor.

So back on topic:

What motor do you have?

Gears?

And what 4x4 locker?

How do you like it?

What are the pros and cons of an e-locker over the LS?

I do some mild towing of 21' tandem axle boat trailer and enclosed snowmobile trailer. What 4x4/motor/rear end option(s) is best for getting up a wet boat ramp, sled trailer on snowy conditions and/or up an un-plowed camp driveway, and into and out of muddy goose/duck hunting fields?

While under normal, daily driving, do you always have the e-locker engaged? Even when on two wheel drive?

I've read where the e-locker (when active) disengages at 25mph. What good is that if you are stuck in the mud or snow and need to spin the tires faster than that to clear them out?

What is "traction control" like? Can that be disengaged? The reason I ask is because our 08 Trailblazer has "Stabilatrack" and it sucks. When accelerating across a snowy intersection from a dead stop, the traction kicks on and shuts everything down. Then you find yourself barely able to creep across without getting hit by oncoming traffic. In addition to that, when in 4x4, and TC off, it will eventually come back on if you are spinning too much. For example, last year we tried to drive it up our snowed in camp driveway. If you've driven in snow, you know that speed and forward momentum are key, well after some spinning, the damn TC overrode and was shutting power down when it was needed most to keep momentum to get up the hill.
I feel your pain on the lack of LS options.

My needs and climate conditions are much like yours. I am 900 miles into my new ride. 5.0 motor, 3.55 open diff. Like I said in another post I swore two decades ago I would never own another open diff in a truck.

I don't think the E-locker is intended for every day driving. Probably come in handy getting out to those muddy fields or up that camp road but you need to be in 4x4 to activate it and I think it has speed limitations. I don't think it will replace the LS diff you are used to.

I bought my new ride planning on putting in a aftermarket LS. So far I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well the Advance-Trac system is working in the snow/mud of NW Vermont. I shut it down as far as you can, leaving only the brake assist active to similate a LS and it has worked very well in every test I have put it through. There are two levels of "control" you can shut off the power cutoff part but you cannot disable the brake assist. Not quite ready to say it is as good as an LS but I can say that so far so good. I have done some fishtailing down the dirt road and donuts in the parking lots and both wheels grab well and there is no loss of power when they start spinning.

I ruled out the E-locker figuring it would be a PIA and I would rather have an LS if the new traction control thing didn't work out.

Quick Reply: Buying New Truck...Suggestions