2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 power steering hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stewm
Not because of a power steering hose! Because of terrible customer service from both Ford and their dealerships. Not just that, the fact that they are obviously failing to address what is obviously a quality issue with a vehicle component.

Certainly when an issue occurs during the warranty period with a component, you expect the vehicle manufacturer to still have an adequate supply of that component so that the vehicle can be repaired in a timely manner. When the issue is a component such as a steering component, drivetrain component, braking component a vehicle manufacturer should not be arrogant as to have waiting list for such components. The '09 Ford F150 is NOT a vintage collectible car that has been out of production for 50 years and such a part as a hose should not be so hard to come by as to have require it to be back ordered for weeks or for many months!
I agree, but Harley Davidson is just as bad, if not worse.

Maybe that's why they partnered up, to research and share customer experiences.

Then they (FoMoCo & HD) took the old business phrase, "The customer is always right", bound and gagged it and then flushed it down the toilet.

The PS hose is a problem, but what I think is even worse, is the 3rd brake light leak which has been a problem even with the earlier models.

At least the PS hose is mechanical, and mechanical things tend to break.

The 3rd brake light leak is a design flaw inherent to the design of the body cavity the fixture is installed into.

It would sure seem easier to design a body cavity that sheds water instead having a gasket to perform that task (a gasket that is prone to failure) and has to cost the FoMoCo thousands of $'s in repairs.

After waiting practically a year on a back ordered high pressure hose, I'd have to start looking a farm stores and such places to see if one could be fabbed up.

Heck, I'd probably even Google it.

I'd also keep careful documentation of all your efforts of having the repair done by the dealer, so if a hose is found and you repair it yourself, you could always go to Small Claims court and re-coup you costs.

That's what I had to do with a Harley Davidson dealer and now everyone at the establishment knows who I am, alltho they closed up shop right after I collected my money!!

Last edited by High-ster; 10-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by cujet
Mine 09 with 45K is now leaking. I wonder if they have the parts yet, or if it's a recall.

Anybody know the cost?
I just took my '09 in for a safety inspection and my $40 inspection fee turned into $640 due to this lousy power steering hose! AND it's backordered (no surprise based on what I'm reading in this forum). Ford said it will have them in stock 22 Oct so I'm driving with a rejection sticker until then (what else can I do??) The shop said they found a heavy equipment shop that specializes in replacing these types of hoses and can fabricate one - but they need the original hose to do it as they re-use the fittings, so my truck will be stuck in the shop for up to a week Decided to hold out until the 22nd, but if Ford doesn't come through then I'll give the other guys a shot at it. I've already started looking for my next vehicle as well. I've owned only Fords but this one is tough to take. Parts like this should not be failing in only 3 years of light-duty use.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
i am also another 09 f150 that HAD a power steering leak took about 4 months to get it fixed and it worked out for the best for me! get a ford regional manager under your belt about this i did. i literally called the guy every day for 1 month, he then probably couldnt take it anymore and moved me to the top of the list. ford had my truck for 2 weeks, gave me a loaner that was paid for and i got unlimited free maintance on my truck for 70,000 miles and im at 50 so it sucked to deal with but demand to be taken care of and they most likely will. good luck to all

Old 10-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Just took my 09 F150 in for the power steering hose issue too. Dealer said on National back order till Nov 28th. Had a very wet leaking right side front strut which is also on some kind of back order as well. Ask dealer to check brakes (pedal ) feel. It does not have a full pedal feel at first push or pump, it needs a second pump top make it feel full or correct and to have the, in my opinion correct braking or stopping feel. The lack of the pedal is very bad at highway speeds or if you have to brake abruptly or fast. Just feels weak and you have to press much harder than should be needed. Been this way for a while now, but since I was going to dealer anyway figured get it checked.

Well of course they did not feel any issue with brakes. May follow up when I go back for the back ordered parts.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I will be getting my hose fixed this Thursday. I sent Ford Motor Company Warranty a email about my hose not being fixed for almost a year. I got a phone call the same day and will be getting my Power Stearing hose fixed this Thursday. It will be fixed by a local dealer who makes Power Stearing hoses. It will also be under Fords Warranty.

Just thought you fellows would like to know, a email sent to Ford Motor company Warranty does work. I know it should have been taken care of through Ford, but a little push doesn't hurt. Here is the email address I used. Hope it helps!!

crcfmc@ford.com

Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Bumping this for any additional information. Mine just started leaking. I spoke with the dealership and they told me the part was on national backorder, with no idea of when it would be available. They listed part number 9L3Z3A719E as the replacement (09 f150 Super Crew 4WD). Claiming 137.97 for the part, and 3.5 hours of labor. I asked about a secondary part and they indicated that if there was one available, their computer would have listed it. There was not one available.

I spoke with another ford service desk and they listed a secondary part 9L3Z3A719G as being available.

When I look up the part on Fordparts.com both are listed as only HOSE ASY - Which is no help. Anybody have any other information? I hate getting conflicting reports.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by J Anschutz
Bumping this for any additional information. Mine just started leaking. I spoke with the dealership and they told me the part was on national backorder, with no idea of when it would be available. They listed part number 9L3Z3A719E as the replacement (09 f150 Super Crew 4WD). Claiming 137.97 for the part, and 3.5 hours of labor. I asked about a secondary part and they indicated that if there was one available, their computer would have listed it. There was not one available.

I spoke with another ford service desk and they listed a secondary part 9L3Z3A719G as being available.

When I look up the part on Fordparts.com both are listed as only HOSE ASY - Which is no help. Anybody have any other information? I hate getting conflicting reports.
You paying for the fix or is it warranty? Warranty you've gotta wait... if you're paying for it there are a few out there at dealers that they will sell... I believe there's two in Jersey... Started my hunt last week... but i'm under warranty and playing the waiting game... There are two part number for two manufactures.. when they go on back order like that the system says they will fill it with the first available part not that specific part number...

Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately - or maybe fortunately? I am paying for it. I contacted Ford Customer Service and they indicated that 9L3Z3A719G is in fact the updated part number. It should be a 2 day ship from date ordered.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by J Anschutz
Unfortunately - or maybe fortunately? I am paying for it. I contacted Ford Customer Service and they indicated that 9L3Z3A719G is in fact the updated part number. It should be a 2 day ship from date ordered.
Guessing they didn't look deep enough in the computer to see how bad it's back ordered. Mine was ordered last Monday and Suppose to be here last Thurs and I still haven't gotten a call... Interested to see if you buying it gets it faster than my warranty order...

Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Update

Originally Posted by Bubz192
I just took my '09 in for a safety inspection and my $40 inspection fee turned into $640 due to this lousy power steering hose! AND it's backordered (no surprise based on what I'm reading in this forum). Ford said it will have them in stock 22 Oct so I'm driving with a rejection sticker until then (what else can I do??) The shop said they found a heavy equipment shop that specializes in replacing these types of hoses and can fabricate one - but they need the original hose to do it as they re-use the fittings, so my truck will be stuck in the shop for up to a week Decided to hold out until the 22nd, but if Ford doesn't come through then I'll give the other guys a shot at it. I've already started looking for my next vehicle as well. I've owned only Fords but this one is tough to take. Parts like this should not be failing in only 3 years of light-duty use.
UPDATE: They finally got a new hose in! Been waiting since September for it so 4 months isn't as bad as some of the posts here. Anyways, it's fixed and was such a messy job that the shop gave me a free car wash to get all the grease and gunk off - not bad service (not Ford). The very next day I traded it in on a Toyota. Not just because of the hose, I had the jumpy transmission as well. The one thing I hate about Ford is they don't fix their problem parts - these hoses have been failing consistently since '07 from what I've seen in forums. Looks like it's large enough numbers to be noticable but not enough for them to re-engineer the part or change vendors. Either way, I'm going to try another brand and see what happens. A life-long Ford customer no more.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
In case anyone wanted to change out a leaking high pressure power steering hose themselves...

My dealer had the part in stock but they wanted ~$500 to R&R so I decided to order the part from Tasca ($90) and install it myself. Took almost two weeks to receive it though.

Forget referring to a Chilton Repair Manual as there is absolutely nothing in it in regards to replacing the power steering hoses, but the procedure is not that bad. You WILL need a "plain" (not flared) crow's foot: 18mm to be exact. This is to remove the hose from the pump as there is absolutely NO ROOM to use any other type of wrench, including a stubby wrench (I tried); flare nut wrenches will NOT fit. You will be spending an exhausting long time making itty bitty turns removing the old one off and putting the new one on. The attachment to the steering rack is via hold-down plate; very easy. You will need to transfer the pressure sensor fitting from the old hose to the new one; all threads on the new hose come with either o-rings or teflon sealant pre-installed.

The attachment to the pump will seem to be loose after the flare nut is tightened all the way (as much as can be done using a crow's foot). I was really concerned because I didn't remember the original hose feeling loose, but a test drive showed absolutely zero leaks at that fitting.

The tools I used were 8mm, 10mm and 13mm sockets; 14mm open and 15mm closed end wrenches; and 18mm stubby and crow's foot wrenches, with a 12"+6" 3/8" extensions, breaker bar and ratchet. Air tools made quick work of the accessible fasteners.

Drove the front of truck up onto ramps allowing me to work in the sitting position (for the most part). Skid plate (if equipped) should be removed to gain better access, along with the oil filter and plastic drip tray. Otherwise, it was a straight forward R&R, with half a quart of Mercon V ATF to top off the power steering reservoir after everything was put back together. Plus an oil drain pan, plenty of rags, and dry sweep to clean up the inevitable spills.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate the difficulty as a 4 all due to that hard-to-access fitting to the pump: patience is the key.

Last edited by Auggie; 04-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
I just had the same problem, looked under the truck and noticed the PS hose was leaking right from the crimp, and apparently this is a common problem according to the local dealership. And as I read in some of the posts above I am too just outside the warranty and my truck only has 53K.
One thing the dealership told me was they take the hoses to the local Lordco and have the crimp redone or tightened, still the bill will be just a bit over $400 and only a 90day warranty on the hose.
I personally think this should be covered by Ford, for a hydraulic hose to fail because the crimp was not set properly from the factory what junk, built ford tough.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM
I guess no one really reads previous posts!!

Originally Posted by Ringfinder
I will be getting my hose fixed this Thursday. I sent Ford Motor Company Warranty a email about my hose not being fixed for almost a year. I got a phone call the same day and will be getting my Power Steering hose fixed this Thursday. It will be fixed by a local dealer who makes Power Steering hoses. It will also be under Fords Warranty.

Just thought you fellows would like to know, a email sent to Ford Motor company Warranty does work. I know it should have been taken care of through Ford, but a little push doesn't hurt. Here is the email address I used. Hope it helps!!

crcfmc@ford.com
If you had, you would have noticed I just emailed Ford Motor Company Warranty and got a phone call back the same day. I had my Power Steering hose fixed. It was fixed by a local Power steering hose repair shop and Ford Warranty took care of the cost. I'd would say send them an email and see if they will fix your problem. crcfmc@ford.com

As for Ford making Power Steering hoses, I'd say they buy them from a outsource and don't make them. I would even bet, Toyota and other truck manufactures probably use the same hoses. Like some of the overseas truck builders, their warranty work doesn't really show up, until they are forced to admit that they too might have had a problem also.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Reeves23
I just had the same problem, looked under the truck and noticed the PS hose was leaking right from the crimp, and apparently this is a common problem according to the local dealership. And as I read in some of the posts above I am too just outside the warranty and my truck only has 53K.
Yea, that's about the mileage I had when mine started leaking.

Anywho, I've since sold the truck pending a home purchase Miss it already…

BUT, I can't wait for the next generation 2015 F-150!

Quick Reply: 2009 power steering hose leak