2009 - 2014 F-150

purchasing 2012 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
purchasing 2012 ecoboost

Hi,
I live in the UK and my plan is to come to the USA in mid June with the intention of purchasing a new 5th wheel trailer (lite weight) with dry hitch weight of 1524 pounds, & GVWR of 9350 pounds, and tow it with a Ford f150 and tour for 12 months.
The model I am looking to order is:
2012 Lariat 4x4 supercrew ecoboost with 6.5 box
Max towing package
Heavy duty payload
color black or sterling grey
with options including navigation, tailgate step, box side steps, running boards, moonroof, 3.73 diff.
I would appreciate any information or thoughts on this setup and help with the following questions:
i)Would the Heavy Duty payload sacrifice the ride quality or economy?
ii)To take delivery in mid June when would the order need to be placed?
iii)Can anybody suggest where to buy for best deal/price, I will collect trailer from Ohio, but could take delivery of truck anywhere from eastern seaboard to midwest.
thanks.

Last edited by f150-UK; 01-12-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by f150-UK
Hi,
I live in the UK and my plan is to come to the USA in mid June with the intention of purchasing a new 5th wheel trailer (lite weight) with dry hitch weight of 1524 pounds, & GVWR of 9350 pounds, and tow it with a Ford f150 and tour for 12 months.
The model I am looking to order is:
2012 Lariat supercrew ecoboost with 6.5 box
Max towing package
Heavy duty payload
color black or sterling grey
with options including navigation, tailgate step, box side steps, running boards, moonroof, 3.73 diff.
I would appreciate any information or thoughts on this setup and help with the following questions:
i)Would the Heavy Duty payload sacrifice the ride quality or economy?
ii)To take delivery in mid June when would the order need to be placed?
iii)Can anybody suggest where to buy for best deal/price, I will collect trailer from Ohio, but could take delivery of truck anywhere from eastern seaboard to midwest.
thanks.
Question 2 and3
You should order beginning of April. It might get to the dealer beginning of June, but that should be OK. Orders usually take 8 weeks.
I would break the new truck in before towing/ fully broken in at 3000kms (1800miles)
Minimum of 500 miles before towing.
http://www.ford.com/towingguides/
Shop around online for the best price. Get online quotes from dealers.
www.ford.com
Do a dealer search for Ohio, build your truck and request a quote.
Plenty of dealers to choose from for plenty of quotes.

Last edited by SETCHAN; 01-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Welcome,, I did not think those in the UK were that big into "caravaning" I hope you have a great trip while here in the states!

The Ecoboost is a great truck, "I have one" but they do drink some fuel when loaded... Hope you have considered that aspect.... Even so the purchase will set you back far less than a comparable equipped diesel.

Will you be taking said rig home when done or selling here before leaving? You might get better resale on a diesel "just a guess" .. Just kind of wondering the thought process?

Best of luck on the trip!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Will be shipping the truck & Trailer back to the UK at the end of the trip.
There is a huge caravanning scene over here in the UK and few clubs that cater for the American RV's.
thanks for your best wishes.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
order at least 8 weeks early. I tow a 9500-10k boat depending on load that day, and works fine.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm a little slow so forgive me but, how can you buy a F-150 if your not a resident of USA or CAN?? Where would the truck be registered to? I thought that non residents could not purchase new vehicles only used?? (I'm I wrong). I know I can't cross over to the USA and buy a new F-150 and vice versa USA resident can't buy in CDN?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
I'm a little slow so forgive me but, how can you buy a F-150 if your not a resident of USA or CAN?? Where would the truck be registered to? I thought that non residents could not purchase new vehicles only used?? (I'm I wrong). I know I can't cross over to the USA and buy a new F-150 and vice versa USA resident can't buy in CDN?
why couldnt you. You buy the vehicle cross the border and pay necessary tarrifs and taxes. Nothing is going to stop you from buying new from a dealer, now getting it registered and transported is on you.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by nards444
why couldnt you. You buy the vehicle cross the border and pay necessary tarrifs and taxes. Nothing is going to stop you from buying new from a dealer, now getting it registered and transported is on you.
I tried buying a new F150 in the US and could not. Ford dealers in the USA are not allowed to sell brand new vehicles to CDN residents. I spoke to a few dealers in the US and they both said they can't see me a new truck its against some policy that Ford has. I also tried buying a new Can Am ATV in Michigan and could not. I could however buy a preowned atv and preowned truck. But not brand new.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
I tried buying a new F150 in the US and could not. Ford dealers in the USA are not allowed to sell brand new vehicles to CDN residents. I spoke to a few dealers in the US and they both said they can't see me a new truck its against some policy that Ford has. I also tried buying a new Can Am ATV in Michigan and could not. I could however buy a preowned atv and preowned truck. But not brand new.
The only reason I can see this is because they have dealers in canada and probably have a no compete clause or something. An easy work around if you knew somebody is have a US resident buy and you in turn buy off of them

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Maybe he has Cash. Money talks.

Good luck with your adventure!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the posts so far.
As for buying and registering the vehicle I will set up a LLC in Montana, this gives me an address to register the vehicle to, and from my experience dealers are happy to sell as this is classed as my residence.
I purchased a new Country Coach motorhome and a motorcycle in 2008 the same way with no problems.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM
As for buying and registering the vehicle I will set up a LLC in Montana, this gives me an address to register the vehicle to, and from my experience dealers are happy to sell as this is classed as my residence.
I purchased a new Country Coach motorhome and a motorcycle in 2008 the same way with no problems.
That would be the way. By the time you set up an LLC which Im assuming needs a PO box, your probably out what maybe 200 bucks.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Okay thats good I just didn't want to see you run into any problems.

It will be a fun and eventful trip! You'll have a blast!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Sounds like you have done your homework on this, and it will be a great trip. The laws for getting the registration, insurance, plates, and inspection stickers vary quite a bit from one state to another, getting all that paperwork coordinated could be harder than ordering the truck.

Custom factory orders usually take 6-8 weeks to be delivered to the dealership, but that can vary depending on sales, demand, and dealer inventory levels.

As for dealers one of the largest in the Northeast is Portsmouth Ford, in Portsmouth, NH which is about 55 minutes north of Boston. They are known for beating the price of most other dealers in the area, and there is no sales tax in NH. John Sawyer is the sales manager there, his contact info is on the website.

Last edited by BillP603; 01-14-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM
I am sure you have thought of this, but make sure you set up the llc in a state with no sales tax. If you assume 7% sales tax on a truck that costs 40-50K, that would add on 2800-3500 to the final purchase price. Obviously, thats a big difference. So, if it was me I would find a state with no tax to save some change. May I suggest Alaska!

Quick Reply: purchasing 2012 ecoboost