2009 - 2014 F-150

Stoable Bed Extender

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stoable Bed Extender

I need to remove the stoable bed extender from a 2010 F-150... It's a several hour drive to reach the truck and want to make sure I take the correct tools. Can anyone advise as to what tools are necessary to install/remove one of these extenders? I've seen links to the ford accessories page for technical specifications which is suppose to include this information but the page will not load for me.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...xtender-2.html

See post number 19. The biggest problem you may have is getting out the plastic inserts that will need to be pulled out after unbolted the side parts.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I took mine out to add a bed rug and reinstalled it. It really isnt that hard. A T-50 on a ratchet with a small 3/8 extention will do it. A regular flat head screw driver and a small flat head to remove the plastic inserts. To remove the plastic inserts stick the regular screw driver in the hole and tilt it, that will also tilt the plastic insert allowing you to get the small screw driver behind it to pry it out. These plastic inserts are like those christmas tree plugs that pop right out and in. This should take about a minute to take out. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I took mine out to add a bed rug and reinstalled it. It really isnt that hard. A T-50 on a ratchet with a small 3/8 extention will do it. A regular flat head screw driver and a small flat head to remove the plastic inserts. To remove the plastic inserts stick the regular screw driver in the hole and tilt it, that will also tilt the plastic insert allowing you to get the small screw driver behind it to pry it out. These plastic inserts are like those christmas tree plugs that pop right out and in. This should take about a minute to take out. Good luck.
Where do you find the T-50 bit? I have looked in 3 different stores for one and the largest I have seen is T-40. I will be installing a bed extender in a couple days so I need to find this tool.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by bansheerider
Where do you find the T-50 bit? I have looked in 3 different stores for one and the largest I have seen is T-40. I will be installing a bed extender in a couple days so I need to find this tool.
I got a whole set for cheap at Sears. Just looked online and saw multiple sets that had the T50. Would be willing to bet you could even find a single.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the information guys... Couldn't find the size of that torx for anything and wasn't sure if I'd need anything else. The bed has a bedliner and as I read people mentioned the bedliners having the stuff builtin so I may have to buy the inserts from the dealer or Tasca but still alot cheaper than buying the entire extender.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
I got a whole set for cheap at Sears. Just looked online and saw multiple sets that had the T50. Would be willing to bet you could even find a single.
Sears was going to be my next stop. I checked Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart and couldn't find it. Guess I'll hit up Sears today, thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Sears was going to be my next stop. I checked Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart and couldn't find it. Guess I'll hit up Sears today, thanks!
I learned a long time ago that if you need a specific size wrench, socket, or anything else, my first stop is Sears. I remember looking for an 18mm deep socket. I tried the hardwares, auto parts, and everybody else. Then went to Sears and was in and out in 5 minutes with a short AND deep well socket. Sears has always been my first stop since then.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
I learned a long time ago that if you need a specific size wrench, socket, or anything else, my first stop is Sears. I remember looking for an 18mm deep socket. I tried the hardwares, auto parts, and everybody else. Then went to Sears and was in and out in 5 minutes with a short AND deep well socket. Sears has always been my first stop since then.
Agreed. They are useless for anything else but they still know tools.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Most auto part stores sell by the single peice but I went out and bought the whole kit a walmart. It was made by Stanley and only cost $23. I also needed a T-30 for the Tie downs.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Most auto part stores sell by the single peice but I went out and bought the whole kit a walmart. It was made by Stanley and only cost $23. I also needed a T-30 for the Tie downs.
I just bought a kit of Torx screws for $10 at Sears. I'm glad those guys mentioned Sears because I would have never thought to check Sears

Old 01-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I just bought a kit of Torx screws for $10 at Sears. I'm glad those guys mentioned Sears because I would have never thought to check Sears
Great price, I bought the 11 pce torx socket set and I thought it was a good price. Ive been using them a lot more so it paid to get the kit.

Quick Reply: Stoable Bed Extender