2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 SCREW FX4 Advancetrac Traction Control Warning when reversing

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 SCREW FX4 Advancetrac Traction Control Warning when reversing

Im not sure if this is the correct spot for this and I have searched and come up empty. If someone knows where this is please point me in the right direction. If not here goes.

So my truck is a 2011 FX4 SCREW with 10,000 miles on it and a two inch spacer lift, unkown brand as the dealer installed it. About 1,500 miles or so ago one afternoon I reversed into a parking spot and my service advancetrac warning popped onto my dash. Thought weird, turned the car off and ran in the store, came back out started truck the warning was still there. As soon as I put it into drive and moved a few feet it went away. Stopped somehwere else reversed in (BTW i always back into spots, easier to get out in small spaces around town) and same thing happened. Finally after the third or forth one I called the dealer and they said bring it on up. At this point it was now staying on even after moving. I took it in to them and showed the manager the error on the screen. While it was there asked them to do an oil change as I was getting close and to perform the TSB for high idle in parking lot enviroments. The dealer said they tried to repeat the problem with the advance track and were unable, mind you they plowed through 1/4 tank of gas while it was there (not to happy about that). They couldnt repeat it and there were no codes thrown. They did all the other work and I came back and picked it up. I go to back into my drive way and on pops the advance track service needed, WTF!! So I call the service guy back and tell him it did it again and I was told, " well the tech couldnt find any error codes so until it throws the code or completely stops working we cant do anything."

I havent taken it back as they wont give me a loaner for the time being and I needed my car while the girls car was getting repaired (someone creamed her parked car and drove off , nice right), Im hoping someone has had this happen and knows the problem or if its a TSB. Any help would be appreciated as this is just an annoyance, oh and the traction control still works even when it says service advance trac, so Im thinking its a computer glitch in the display.

And for those in Canada I think I saw some post on F150forum where something like this happened but your blinkers wouldnt work, mine still work I checked.

Sorry for the long rant, I feel better.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I dont have an answer on your problem but your traction control and advance trac are two different things. To shut off your traction control press the traction control button. To turn off your advance trac hold down the traction control button until it displays that it is off. Try unplugging your battery for a little while and see if that resets the advance trac. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Ask the tech to go for a ride with you so you can duplicate it and show them.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
He brought it there with the error on the screen.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM
No luck with unplugging the battery.

And I showed the service tech the error on the truck when I dropped it off, the problem is that once the vehicle is turned back off the error message goes away as soon as you put in it drive.

Ive narrowed it down to I have to be in drive for a decent amount of time or driving around. Going a few miles in drive then reversing wont do it, its seems to be somewhere around 15-20 miles worth of driving. Its hard to nail down how to exactly replicate it, just takes time and money neither of which is fun to deal with when trouble shooting a 40,000 dollar truck.

Ill keep this updated when I have the chance to do more troubleshooting.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 AM
It sounds like its kicking on after a drive cycle. Keep us updated.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM
So tonight I had to wedge myself out of a tight parallel parking spot and set off my advancetrac service light. Usually this goes off when Im backing into a spot so I turn my truck off to park. This time I was coming home and had to drive on the highway. I went to use my blinkers and lo and behold they didnt work. To some no blinkers no problem but it made it more interesting in the dark, rain and DC rush hour traffic on 495. So Im calling the dealer tomorrow for an appointment. I read over on F150 forum of some guys having the same thing and from best I can tell has to either do with something in the steering wheel or in the electronic steering system. Either way this will be time number two. If they cant find or fix it I will take it back for time 3 and if they still dont do anything about it VA lemon law process will start. I hate to have to start it as other that an annoying warning light I love my truck.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Could be a ground wire or did you check your battery? I would proceed with the lemon law if it cant be fixed. Also try another dealer.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 PM
And problem supposedly has been fixed. A faulty rack and pinion. Tomorrow I will copy the exact wording and error code that they were able to log so if anyone else has this problem they will have something to go on.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the update.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Double post

Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Subscribing as I'm having the same issuses right now... service advance trac light comes on intermittenly and no turn signals while the advance trac light is on. Truck goes to the dealer on Mon.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Pittsburg, if you want a copy of my report of the issue from the dealer let me know. Send me a pm with your email and I'll email you a copy of it.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by tsdahc
And problem supposedly has been fixed. A faulty rack and pinion. Tomorrow I will copy the exact wording and error code that they were able to log so if anyone else has this problem they will have something to go on.
Can you please post the diagnosis and what was done to fix it for us?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Advancetrac service message

I've had this message also and no signals after turning steering lock to lock it would show the message took truck to the dealer. They ordered a new rack for it hopefully will solve the problem, 2011 F-150 Ecoboost

Quick Reply: 2011 SCREW FX4 Advancetrac Traction Control Warning when reversing