2009 - 2014 F-150

Delivery inspection- what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i ordered my 06 mustang gt, i gave the dealer these instructions for when it arrived:

1. Phone me immediately
2. Back her off the truck, park and lock. Ill unpack her myself.
3. Dont touch in any way.
4. Wait for my arrival.
5. If you put a dealer decal anywhere on my car, you will be keeping it and ordering me another one.

Dealer called me soon as the truck pulled in the lot.

Its like opening a Christmas present when you remove the plastic and unpack her yourself and made the car buying process so much more enjoyable.

This was the first and only time i ever ordered a vehicle just like i wanted it. From now on, this is how i will buy all my new vehicles.

the only reget i have, was that my request to go and watch my baby be built was denied. dealer said it wasnt an option. he told me i could go up there and pound on the factory door and see if they would let me in, but that he doubted it. i would have paid extra for that too. instead i made about 50 calls to the automated build line on the build date to find out where she was on the line.

Last edited by GTNOS; 02-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 AM
I went to the dealer last week and told them not to touch it and assured them that I would wash it BEFORE I took delivery, that way if there was a problem they would have to deal with it then, not after I take delivery. Once again, thanks for some great advice and hopefully it will arrive this week !!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you all are being waaaaay overprotective. My dad worked in a dealership body shop all his life. Just let them do what they do with every other car. Ehen you pick it up look it over for scratches and tears in the seats. Your still going to pay the destination fees if you wash it. And you can scratch it just like they can, except all they do all day clean brand new cars.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by worm5932
I think you all are being waaaaay overprotective. My dad worked in a dealership body shop all his life. Just let them do what they do with every other car. Ehen you pick it up look it over for scratches and tears in the seats. Your still going to pay the destination fees if you wash it. And you can scratch it just like they can, except all they do all day clean brand new cars.
I have been a professional detailer for 30+ years. I have made a lot of money correcting what dealerships "do to every other car"

For every 1 dealer prep guy that knows what he is doing, there are 1,00 that don't know/don't care.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by worm5932
agreed

Old 03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by GTNOS
when i ordered my 06 mustang gt, i gave the dealer these instructions for when it arrived:

1. Phone me immediately
2. Back her off the truck, park and lock. Ill unpack her myself.
3. Dont touch in any way.
4. Wait for my arrival.
5. If you put a dealer decal anywhere on my car, you will be keeping it and ordering me another one.

Dealer called me soon as the truck pulled in the lot.

Its like opening a Christmas present when you remove the plastic and unpack her yourself and made the car buying process so much more enjoyable.

This was the first and only time i ever ordered a vehicle just like i wanted it. From now on, this is how i will buy all my new vehicles.

the only reget i have, was that my request to go and watch my baby be built was denied. dealer said it wasnt an option. he told me i could go up there and pound on the factory door and see if they would let me in, but that he doubted it. i would have paid extra for that too. instead i made about 50 calls to the automated build line on the build date to find out where she was on the line.
Little extreme but if you pay 40k for something it should be your choice. I did this with my last dealer and they said we wont wash it but we have to unpack and inspect or we wont sell it to you. We can unpack it in front of you but that means it wont be ready, fine I gave in. Here is the reasoning, and I guess it makes sense. If you unpack it and break something or install something wrong its on you not the dealer. By them going over it they can either reject it or get ford to pay for it.

In the end you have the final inspection if you dont like what you see dont take it or have it fixed.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by nards444
Little extreme but if you pay 40k for something it should be your choice. I did this with my last dealer and they said we wont wash it but we have to unpack and inspect or we wont sell it to you. We can unpack it in front of you but that means it wont be ready, fine I gave in. Here is the reasoning, and I guess it makes sense. If you unpack it and break something or install something wrong its on you not the dealer. By them going over it they can either reject it or get ford to pay for it.

In the end you have the final inspection if you dont like what you see dont take it or have it fixed.
a little extreme? yes, but understand i am a mustang maniac it was more about me getting the enjoyment out of unpacking and fondling my new mustang than fearing the dealer would f her up. and actually, i got her on D plan and only paid 29k fully loaded! but like you said, if im buying, ill do it my way. dealer wants my business, they will honor it. the salesman was there with me while i unpacked her. he did his little checklist right there with me. best car buying experience i ever had. and I love my stang GT, will never part with her.

i was dead serious about the dealer decal though, he knew it and he didnt dare put one on....lol.

Last edited by GTNOS; 03-05-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh I feel ya on the sticker. I have a Camaro SS and told them nothing goes on it. But they were cool. I bought from Berger Chevy and Berger used to soup up Camaros back in the day and were on par with the Yenkos of the world, kind of like a modern day roushe or Hennessey. So they actually made a emblem like they used to put on the old camaros and you had the option of having that put on it.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Just don't let them run it through a car wash with brushes or touch it with a buffer.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Well I picked it up on Saturday, and thanks to someone on the forum, I checked the roof, and at the back of the cab there were two places that had something under the paint, it looked like pieces of metal. I pointed it out to the salesman and he acknowledged them and said it was up to Ford to fix them. I replied that it was up to his dealership to fix it. He replied that it was a Ford warranty and they would have to authorize the repair. I replied that I wanted the dealership to sign off on the repair no matter what Ford did. The salesman said that was over his pay grade and went to the GM, he signed off on it,so I took delivery. I hope this is not going to be a PITA to deal with!! I then took it home and REALLY detailed it. By the way the truck is a beast!!!
Once again, thanks to all for the advice and comments, Mike

Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glad it worked out! When people tell you that if they have to paint it demand another truck. Please don't listen.

Quick Reply: Delivery inspection- what to look for?