2009 - 2014 F-150

Delivery inspection- what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Delivery inspection- what to look for?

I am expecting my ordered truck to be delivered in the next two weeks and have been wondering what to look for before taking it home. I have read about the bad paint on top of the cab, leaking water inside the cab ect.
What should I REALLY look for so I don't end up back at the dealer numerous times? Thanks for the advice, Mike

Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 PM
unfortunately there's not a whole lot you could do. I guess you can sit there a while turning every ****, button & function, but most gremlins pop up over time. I'd give her a good test drive, have them wash it and hope for the best from there.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Before i take possession of a new vehicle, i walk around it and look real close for scratches/dings and pay close attention to the door edges. Looking real hard at the front and rear end fascia's. Check the seats (workers with screwdrivers in the back pocket can damage it)
Check fit and finish and i make sure everything works.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info Setchan and Hydro

Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
If method of transport is listed as rail, look at every flat piece of sheet metal. Hood, roof, etc. Feel the surface with your fingers. You are feeling for small little rough spots. If it is a light color, you will see a very small rust spot with a rust halo around it. If you see it make them clay bar the vehicle. I am not sure that F150's are transported by rail though.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
I think you are overthinking it. The basic once over for scratches and dents and to ensure every option you ordered is there, is about all you can do. You just wont catch everything that could happen. And you know what thats what the warranty is for.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Personally, I would tell them not to wash it, or touch the paint in anyway, and do it yourself. I'd never let a dealer clay my vehicle.

Look for obvious damage to the paint, interior, glass and wheels. Check the interior for damage, and/or stains, and give it a good test drive.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Great advice guys, I like the idea of washing it myself, on all my other vehicles I always found the issues when I washed it. Keep them coming !!!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I would also look over all fees and your build sheet. I have heard of dealers sneaking in things like under coat, bed liners, etc. Not that you might not want it, but it does happen.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Personally, I would tell them not to wash it, or touch the paint in anyway, and do it yourself. I'd never let a dealer clay my vehicle.

Look for obvious damage to the paint, interior, glass and wheels. Check the interior for damage, and/or stains, and give it a good test drive.
TELL THEM NOT TO TOUCH IT lol seriously just tell them to take the plastics off do not wash it or dress the tires you will never forgive yourself when you look at all the swirls and scratches they put in it when they wash it.

Also look for different reflections on each panel that will tell you if there was any damage to it and was re painted

Gipraw got it right on the head

And like someone said the things pop up over time you have 3 years to get her in if you need it and look over everything I had both mirrors replaced because one little tab broke off. Use that all inclusive warranty with not deductible to as much as you can!

Last edited by Pockets; 02-21-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 AM
It's being built today and supposed to be delivered on March 5th, I will be going to thr dealer today to let them know that I don't want them to wash it. Does anyone know if the rebates have changed (for the better?).
Thanks again to all, Mike

Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM
I ordered a 2012 fx2 loaded on January 17th it was built February 20th and should arrive March 8th and my rebates were $3500 that's with ford financing and now they are $4500 plus $750 ford private cash that I go an email from ford after I order a brochure and said I was looking to buy with in 30 days. The email said not good with xplan I asked my sales man and he pulled my info up from ford and it was already on his site.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Gipraw

I make it part of the sales contract - no wash minimal contact needed to deliver. Not sure a lot of dealers would even know what clay was, much less how to do it. The extent most dealers go to with their used cars is a vacuuming, a good glaze to hide scratches and swirls and about half a cup of tire shine per wheel LOL.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Totally agree, don't let them touch it!

I did not know better when I was picking mine up (on a very over cast, cloudy, windy day) and after having it for a couple of days I notice a unique swirl on the rear pass. door panel. It appeared almost like a 3d'ish type hologram. It was obvious in the sun light but not noticable when its cloudy. I chose to address this issue myself, the last thing I wanted is the dealer to put there hands on it again.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess this goes against the grain here. But I'd check that it has all the features you ordered. Give it a test drive. Check it for any transport damage (ie: if there is a scratch on the roof then you probably should bring it to their attn). But let them wash it and present you with your new truck so you can enjoy the moment. After, if anything is wrong with it, bring it back under warranty.

Quick Reply: Delivery inspection- what to look for?