2009 - 2014 F-150

1 tire sticks out further

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JJKJ
It's a box or body alignment problem. If it's like mine, the measurement from the frame to the tire edge is the same on both sides, but the fender to the tire edge is off by almost 1/2".
Agreed. I had to have the frame replaced on my truck and the passenger rear does not quite stick out as much as before. I suspect there is a little bit of wiggle room to move the bed around, but not much. Had the problem on my 04, my 07, and now my 09. Don't know if Ford does this for a reason or if they just do not want to or can't correct the problem.
Another possibility is if the locator pins on the rear axle are slightly off. I would suspect that the trucks would crab a bit driving down the road if that was the case, and I can't say I have ever seen one crab.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had 4 F-150s where this was noticeable on the passenger side, including my 2011. No ill effects noted with any of them. Nothing to worry about. Read the thread Ruffin-It linked to.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I noticed this on my 2010 Screw fx4. I took it to the dealer they said all the new trucks on the lot were the same. I loosened the U bolts and tried to jerk it over but the pins were tight in place. They checked alignment and said it was okay have a nice day. My 2011 doesn't seem to have this issue. My 05 and 06 F250's had offset truck beds from the factory they would not align either. I guess it happens.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It probably all starts with cab placement on the frame. They have room to move if you made a big deal about it, but it sure is a pain. You have to loosen all cab mounts, and shift. Loosen box, and shift. Loosen rear bumper and shift. And then perhaps adjust the front bumper too. It's a lot of work, but definitely do-able.

Then again, if you do a bit of a "how far can I stick my hand between the box and cab before it touches " technique, you might find that the problem can be fixed with just a box and rear bumper adjustment.

What ever measurement your level and a tape measure shows, you only have to shift the box over half that distance for it to be perfect.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Brought it to the dealer today and showed them the tire. He called me back and said they can see where the rear was shifted over and they would put it back to specks. I told him I already had the thrust angle alignment but they said they see a problem, so I guess i'll see when I pick it up later. Keep ya all informed.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Just got back from the dealer and they said that there is something wrong with the lift kit, something is holding the rear end that won't let it be adjusted to center. Now i know the dealer is full of blank because i only put 3 inch blocks in the rear, unless the blocks have to be turned around or one is for the right and one left. Anyway i wont be going back to them. They are AS blocks and they werent marked for either side unless i missed something.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM

They are blowing smoke up your ****, and blaming it on something you did.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah I figured that, my uncle has been a mechanic for over 30 years I' ll believe him over them any day. He is the one who installed it for me. They also told me they could not re program or flash the computer for the traction control coming on because there are no parameters for tires that big. Think i'm going to get a tuner.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackout150
They also told me they could not re program or flash the computer for the traction control coming on because there are no parameters for tires that big. Think i'm going to get a tuner.
For them, that may be correct. Their programmers/computers would not have anything in it except for those tire sizes that came OE.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Oh ok that is a good point. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
One of my nads hangs lower than the other...............

Never hurt anything that I know of..........

Quick Reply: 1 tire sticks out further