2009 - 2014 F-150

2014 F150 worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluejay, real world mileage doesn't count toward C.A.F.E., only the EPA mileage. So if the EPA rating for one engine is better than the other, even though anecdotal evidence might suggest neither one is better, if Ford can sell more of the engine with the better EPA measurement that helps them with CAFE.

LOL, no, I don't get the sticker mileage on my F150 with EB, but I never did on my 5.4L ones either.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hemigod
Bluejay, real world mileage doesn't count toward C.A.F.E., only the EPA mileage. So if the EPA rating for one engine is better than the other, even though anecdotal evidence might suggest neither one is better, if Ford can sell more of the engine with the better EPA measurement that helps them with CAFE.

LOL, no, I don't get the sticker mileage on my F150 with EB, but I never did on my 5.4L ones either.
I understand all that. My point is, I think many have accepted it as real, a nice brainwashing. I am getting better than the sticker numbers with my engine and have noticed that most of the 5.0 owners posting have gotten as good or better than the EB. Maybe Ford knows there is more potential with the EB, I don't know. Maybe it just isn't living up to it's hype in that area, but my point is, people are buying it expecting to get exceptional mpg, and it's just not there. My boss got 14 in a headwind on a 6 hour interstate drive. Coming back with a tailwind, 18. I guarantee, my 5.0 would beat the crap out of that. His comment, "oh well, I love the truck anyway even though the mileage is no better than my Tundra got."

Now, I did not buy the 5.0 expecting great gas mileage, but, it's there and I am certainly enjoying it as the price goes up.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...ctl-hHgqwfT4NC

I'm impressed with the EcoBoost power, and fuel economy. Like they say, if I drive by the local dealer I just might pull the trigger.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Last edited by DallasSuperCru; 03-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Global Moderator &

BTW, I got the sticker numbers on my 2005 5.4, and I did not drive it conservativly. That is, until I put on the huge wheels and tires and the ethanol hit the pumps.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by DallasSuperCru
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...ctl-hHgqwfT4NC

I'm impressed with the EcoBoost power, and fuel economy. Like they say, if I drive by the local dealer I just might pull the trigger.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Just curious, when you say you are impressed with the fuel economy, what kind of mileage are you expecting to get?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 PM
god that super cheif is hidious

Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Are any members on here getting the mpg advertised for the EB. The majority I have seen post are posting lower numbers than I am getting with my 5.0. My boss has an EB, and I get better mileage than he does, as well. If he did not have the 4X4 I suspect we would be pretty much the same. My point is, I hear all this rhetoric about the great mileage of an EB and so far, it has been mostly on the sticker. Just an observation, so any refuters, keep it civil.
Just like anything on any vehicle forum, you are going to hear more of the complaints than you will the praises. For every one person that praises or posts something positive, there will be 20 that are negative. I know you have been around long enough to know that though.

My 2011 FX2 EB w/ 20's and 3.55LSD had a 16/22 mpg sticker on the window when I picked it up. During the summer when gas is a bit better, I got 17 driving around town all the time and 21.5 to as high as 22.8 on the highway at 70-74mph. I have put over 15k miles on mine since buying it in July and have done MANY long distance trips and plenty of city driving as well. Over the winter and months when gas is known to be of lesser quality, I consistently still got right at 16 in city and 21 on the freeway over the same trips that I take during the summer for work.

I recently met up with a group of F-150 owners here in the Austin area and 6 of the 8 trucks there were EB. Every single one of them, including the 5.0 owners, were getting the advertised mileage and falling right into the range of the sticker and EPA ratings.

I do think it's very unfortunate that some are having problems. I gotta wonder sometimes though if it is a driver issue in some cases. I have personally driven 11 EB trucks myself as I always get one for a rental when I have to fly out of town and every single one of them got 20+ on the highway and around 16-17 city. I of course can't speak to what anyone else is doing with their trucks, but at the same time I think it's pretty funny those that blame Ford for this or expect Ford to do something about it. Now granted if you are getting 13 or 14 in a stock truck then sure, something is wrong. But the EPA sets all of this and Ford has no control or say so in that matter.

A turbo motor is a little trickier to drive and get good mileage out of and I seriously doubt the EPA considers those that don't understand that when they rate these trucks

I use the Torque app on my Android phone to monitor all the gauges I can and use Boost as the primary gauge. If I really want to get good mileage, I just make sure that it stays in Vaccuum and avoid boost as much as I can. This is a rare thing for me to do, but it does net a very nice mileage number.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Just curious, when you say you are impressed with the fuel economy, what kind of mileage are you expecting to get?
4x2 5.o vs 4x4 Eb and you think the EB is going to blow the 5.0 when it comes to MPG. A non 4x4 vehicle I would expect to get 10-20% better Mpg than one that has 4x4

I get 16 and almost 20 on HWY which is what is advertised. Drving styles have a lot to do with. I ride behind idiots that take 5mins to get up to speed and roll 5-10 under the limit. They probably get better mpg wthen I do but time is money IMO.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM
16 City and 22 Hwy.

My current 5.4(77K miles) is about 12 City and 16 Hwy on a good day. I've had the spark plugs changed, always ontime maintenance, only use top tier gas ex. Shell, and do not have a lead foot.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
Just like anything on any vehicle forum, you are going to hear more of the complaints than you will the praises. For every one person that praises or posts something positive, there will be 20 that are negative. I know you have been around long enough to know that though.

My 2011 FX2 EB w/ 20's and 3.55LSD had a 16/22 mpg sticker on the window when I picked it up. During the summer when gas is a bit better, I got 17 driving around town all the time and 21.5 to as high as 22.8 on the highway at 70-74mph. I have put over 15k miles on mine since buying it in July and have done MANY long distance trips and plenty of city driving as well. Over the winter and months when gas is known to be of lesser quality, I consistently still got right at 16 in city and 21 on the freeway over the same trips that I take during the summer for work.

I recently met up with a group of F-150 owners here in the Austin area and 6 of the 8 trucks there were EB. Every single one of them, including the 5.0 owners, were getting the advertised mileage and falling right into the range of the sticker and EPA ratings.

I do think it's very unfortunate that some are having problems. I gotta wonder sometimes though if it is a driver issue in some cases. I have personally driven 11 EB trucks myself as I always get one for a rental when I have to fly out of town and every single one of them got 20+ on the highway and around 16-17 city. I of course can't speak to what anyone else is doing with their trucks, but at the same time I think it's pretty funny those that blame Ford for this or expect Ford to do something about it. Now granted if you are getting 13 or 14 in a stock truck then sure, something is wrong. But the EPA sets all of this and Ford has no control or say so in that matter.

A turbo motor is a little trickier to drive and get good mileage out of and I seriously doubt the EPA considers those that don't understand that when they rate these trucks

I use the Torque app on my Android phone to monitor all the gauges I can and use Boost as the primary gauge. If I really want to get good mileage, I just make sure that it stays in Vaccuum and avoid boost as much as I can. This is a rare thing for me to do, but it does net a very nice mileage number.
You've posted some of the better numbers I've seen and are pretty much right on with what I get. I get 17.5 stop and go around Fort Worth and I get anything from 19 to 21.5 on the highway, depending on weather and how many times I punch it to pass. The absolute best I have gotten is on the interstate with the cruise set at 68, 22.7. The truck has averaged overall since new, 19.4 for 20,700 miles.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by DallasSuperCru
16 City and 22 Hwy.

My current 5.4(77K miles) is about 12 City and 16 Hwy on a good day. I've had the spark plugs changed, always ontime maintenance, only use top tier gas ex. Shell, and do not have a lead foot.
You will probably get that with a 4X2, but not with a 4X4.

I got over 19 on the highway with my 2005, running 75-80. That was before I modded it and befroe ethanol. I was getting about 16 mixed driving when I sold it.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
BTW, I got the sticker numbers on my 2005 5.4, and I did not drive it conservativly. That is, until I put on the huge wheels and tires and the ethanol hit the pumps.
I believe you. My best tank MPG on 3.73 max tow 4X4 screw with the 5.4L was 19.4 MPG. But local driving where I live - lots of hills, traffic lights, stop signs - I would pull mostly 11.5 with my 5.4L. The EB with the same setup gets about 3 MPG better locally. My old 5.7L hemi would average 9.5 in the same local conditions.

I think terrain and local traffic conditions have a lot to do with the mileage you can expect. When I hit flat terrain in Florida without winds, I can hit the EPA numbers with my truck, even the old 5.4L measured up under those conditions.

You are absolutely right about all the hype - Ford did a great job marketing the EB, maybe so much so that they have alienated some people who believed all of it.

If the max tow was available in the 5.0, I definitely would have considered it.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Idleing, wind, and wet pavement and hills kill the mpg in a hurry. These kill mine more than the occasional hard acceleration. Makes you wonder where and how they do the CAFE tests.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I get a good 3 MPG or so with my EB over any of the previous 5.4Ls I have owned. On the last highway trip I was knocked down 19+ with a Platinum 4x4 full of gear and 3 guys up and down Southern Missouri hills. I have done that same trip in my KR and never got much more than mid-15s. The EB makes a ton more power than the 5.4L and gets much better mileage.

Something to consider in the 5.0 and EB mileage claims is the gear ratios the tests were done with. The 4x2 EB is based on 3.15 gears and the 5.0 is based on 3.31s. Most of the 4x2s I have seen on here are bought with 3.55s.

When you jump to 4x4s the EB comes with a 3.31 and the 5.0 comes with 3.55s. Most buyers jump up to the 3.73s. In both cases the 5.0 is being bought with gears closer to the setup used to calculate the mileage numbers.

Here is a little info on how the .gov determines the mileage numbers. If you drive like they do you should be able to get close to the same mileage.

EPA Fuel Economy

Test Schedules

General test

Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Mine has 3.55s.

Quick Reply: 2014 F150 worth the wait?