2009 - 2014 F-150

Installed Custom Bed Slide

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed Custom Bed Slide

I recently had a slide made for the bed of my truck. It's overkill for my needs - which include holding a stroller, outdoor chairs and volleyball equipment. I went with a company called "Slide-Master" but in hindsight I probably should have just tried to make something myself. It's a tough unit but they sent it to me with a couple defects and I expected a lot more for them since they're a fabrication company. I even had to send it back and it came back with the same problem - hopefully just an oversight but I ultimately had to fix it myself which defeated the purpose of using an aftermarket company.

Shipped - it ended up costing about $900 total and supports 1600 lbs. Sorry the pics aren't great - its from my cell phone and I've mixed in pics I took upon first and second delivery/install just because some were less blurry than others.

Arrived promptly at FedEx, who helped unpack and load it in to my truck:

This next pic is the base, half installed and open:

This next pic is the "defect". The locking mechanism was too long and therefore caused the base to stop movement forward because it got in the way. It wouldn't open fully (which is at about 80%) and wouldn't lock in the open position since the lock couldn't reach the arm. I had to shave the unit down with a dremmel to allow clearance. The pic is about half way through my cutting process.

Here's what it should have come looking like (with clearance for the bar above it):

The tray is installed:

The mat is cut and installed:

Handles are installed and the project is complete:

You can't see in the pics I took but I did re-install the tailgate plastic liner thing. I took it off during install to verify clearances with and without the shims to decide which height was the best.

Last edited by sharper4; 03-28-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice. I made one for my 2010 and love it. I have a canopy on and usually put 2 bikes and some camping gear on it. Plus a 2000W Honda gen. Beats climbing in and out to get stuff. Can't put 1600lbs on mine, about 500lbs is max, but thats all I ever put anyway. I figure I have about $100.00+ into it. Hers a pic.

Hers a pic before I retrofitted it to the 10.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
I remember seeing yours in another thread and it totally inspired me to consider making my own but I felt a little overwhelmed trying to figure out exact what I needed and how it was supposed to go together. 500 lbs is enough for me too. Your setup is real clean but I was lost at the thought of trying to weld anything together.

Last edited by sharper4; 03-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
That's prett neat! I could use one myself.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by sharper4
I remember seeing yours in another thread and it totally inspired me to consider making my own but I felt a little overwhelmed trying to figure out exact what I needed and how it was supposed to go together. 500 lbs is enough for me too. Your setup is real clean but I was lost at the thought of trying to weld anything together.
Thanks for the compliment, it took me a week or so to build it. Not working all day or anything like that, but between runs to HomeDepot and other stores etc, plus trial and error it took that long. I'm retired and have been welding for ever. I have built lots of different things in my shop at home so with all the time in the world I figured I would tackle it. The factory built ones are really slick looking and if I wasn't a DIY type person I would've bought one. I still haven't seen one in person, wished I could've before I built mine to maybe make it better.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Now only it it would slide and tilt.... That could be a great benefit

Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Do you still have the paperwork that came with the kit?

Originally Posted by sharper4
I recently had a slide made for the bed of my truck. It's overkill for my needs - which include holding a stroller, outdoor chairs and volleyball equipment. I went with a company called "Slide-Master" but in hindsight I probably should have just tried to make something myself. It's a tough unit but they sent it to me with a couple defects and I expected a lot more for them since they're a fabrication company. I even had to send it back and it came back with the same problem - hopefully just an oversight but I ultimately had to fix it myself which defeated the purpose of using an aftermarket company.

Shipped - it ended up costing about $900 total and supports 1600 lbs. Sorry the pics aren't great - its from my cell phone and I've mixed in pics I took upon first and second delivery/install just because some were less blurry than others.

Arrived promptly at FedEx, who helped unpack and load it in to my truck:

This next pic is the base, half installed and open:

This next pic is the "defect". The locking mechanism was too long and therefore caused the base to stop movement forward because it got in the way. It wouldn't open fully (which is at about 80%) and wouldn't lock in the open position since the lock couldn't reach the arm. I had to shave the unit down with a dremmel to allow clearance. The pic is about half way through my cutting process.

Here's what it should have come looking like (with clearance for the bar above it):

The tray is installed:

The mat is cut and installed:

Handles are installed and the project is complete:

You can't see in the pics I took but I did re-install the tailgate plastic liner thing. I took it off during install to verify clearances with and without the shims to decide which height was the best.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by sampson01
Now only it it would slide and tilt.... That could be a great benefit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihaC0d6vyU8

Quick Reply: Installed Custom Bed Slide