2009 - 2014 F-150

Announcing the Ford F-150 Lariat Unlimited

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the compliments and honest feedback! You've made some good suggestions I never thought of too. It seems like the grill is the most controversial feature so far. I flirted with the idea of satin chrome for the grill + surround (and other bits like maybe the door handles) like the new Super Duty has, but satin chrome is hard to simulate (for me at least) in Photoshop. If it doesn't look convincing enough on my screen, I abandon it and try something else.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
How about adding a hood scoop? Didn't the lightnings have that?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
That looks great. The stance is perfect, the wheels tuck up in the fenders perfectly.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those wheels... di you photo shop them from something, or is there someone out there selling these? I like em, but I'm thinking they'd be costly to make....

Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Great job. Love it.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Excellent work. I'll second the question on the wheels...

I'm getting ready to order parts to give my truck a facelift and may 'borrow' some of your ideas. I actually think the side skirts look great. They're not real tall - I can't seem to find anything like it online. Any sources for something like you modeled?

And since you obviously have the skills - try a PTM look on the grille surround. Should look even better!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the continued feedback!

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
i like it grill and all did you try making the center of the grill colored to match the paint? to me that would look hhhooootttttt!
Yeah that's how the "regular" Limited grill is, so I decided to try something different to distinguish between the two (Limited vs. Unlimited).

Originally Posted by bansheerider
How about adding a hood scoop? Didn't the lightnings have that?
Did the Gen1's have them? I owned 2 Gen2 Lightnings and neither had scoops. I considered adding one to this photochop, but decided against it if I couldn't rationalize a functional purpose for it (I generally don't like fake NACA ducts, all show vs. no go, etc. LOL).

Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Those wheels... di you photo shop them from something, or is there someone out there selling these? I like em, but I'm thinking they'd be costly to make....
I adapted the existing Limited wheels (which are actually older-gen Harley Davidson wheels), but I made them taller and wider, and gave the spokes a turbine twist. So as far as I know, there aren't any wheels like these anywhere.

Originally Posted by TX Chris
Excellent work. I'll second the question on the wheels...

I'm getting ready to order parts to give my truck a facelift and may 'borrow' some of your ideas. I actually think the side skirts look great. They're not real tall - I can't seem to find anything like it online. Any sources for something like you modeled?

And since you obviously have the skills - try a PTM look on the grille surround. Should look even better!
I haven't seen any sills like the ones I modeled, but one of the aftermarket (SEMA) suppliers may have something comparable (I haven't checked, but generally I find most aftermarket sills look too much the old conversion van fender flares).

I agree a PTM grill surround would probably look great. I used chrome to try and tie in with the polished wheels and chrome door handles, but if I find some time, I may try PTM (and possibly satin chrome).

Quick Reply: Announcing the Ford F-150 Lariat Unlimited