2009 - 2014 F-150

2013 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ommegang
explains the currently high discounts. Although, I still couldn't get myself to test-drive one.
I was going to test drive a Ram about a year back and the Salesman treated me like garbage.

Went up the street and bought a brand new 2010 FX4 and waved at him as I drove by. LOL

Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Arklight
I was going to test drive a Ram about a year back and the Salesman treated me like garbage.

Went up the street and bought a brand new 2010 FX4 and waved at him as I drove by. LOL
I had a similar experience. After acting as a buyer's agent for a friend of mine to get his Chrysler 200 S, I went back to the same dealer when I was test-driving trucks, and I told the guy I just wanted to drive a RAM 1500, to get a feel for it. It took him over a 1/2 hour to FIND one??? Then, when I asked him to give me an OTD price on one with the bells & whistles I wanted, he never got back to me. I gave up after a few calls and never looked back.

-John

Old 05-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
It's more than just big payloads. The supension affects ride and handling quality, stability, steering and center of gravity.

Pickuptrucks.com 08/09 Light Duty Shootout:
Ride & Handling...
'Some of us had very high expectations for the new Dodge Ram’s coil-spring rear running gear. The multilink suspension handles vertical and lateral forces with better control and less friction than the traditional leaf-spring rear ends the other pickups had. It turned out to be the fourth-fastest truck, at 48.94 seconds and 30.03 mph. The Ram handled similarly to the F-150 and Silverado, but with the most oversteer of the three. The front suspension dived noticeably entering the hardest curves. Surprisingly, it was a challenge on some of the corners to keep on the accelerator without the back end breaking loose.'

Pickuptrucks.com V6 Worktruck test:
Ride & Handling...
Of all the timed tests, this one was where speed and power made the least difference. Suspension composure and vehicle stability control were just as important.

The Ford F-150 finished the course in 69.92 seconds at an average speed of 32.34 mph. It split the difference in composure and body roll between the Ram, which had a challenging time in the hairpin turns, and GMC Sierra, which offered the most confidence rallying around the track.

The Ram 1500 was the slowest truck, finishing in 71.62 seconds at an average speed of 31.53 mph and trap speed of 52.43 mph. It seemed to have the most difficult time of the three keeping its coil spring rear end from wallowing around the corners, which would seem counterintuitive because we expected the multilink rear end to be an asset in managing the high lateral forces we put on the trucks. Understeer was also an issue. The front suspension dived noticeably entering tight turns but felt much better through the sweepers.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....ling-test.html

Standing out from the crowd - yes in a bad way. Great marketing? Yes, for people who don't use their truck like a truck.

The other problem with coil springs is payload/towing. On a Ram you are looking at 1100 to 1400 max payload on the Ram site and the actual number will be less because the number Ram uses doesn't include any optional equipment. A trailer can eat up about 1000 lbs of payload. So for the Ram that means a driver and maybe a small passenger and that's it. Leave your cargo at home. Ford can easily give you 1800 to 2400 payload on a crewcab. This is why Ram needed to add air bags: ride and handling was made worse by the springs and they lost a ton of payload. They should have just stuck with leaf springs instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Ford went 6" longer on the leaf springs to give it a nice ride quality and provide proper payload.
Oversteer or understeer, which is it?

All my friends who drive Ford and Chevy use to comment on how great the ride in my Ram was compared to their trucks. Yes, this was all pavement driving. The three dodges I owned did all have noticeable hop in the rearend and broke loose very easy on wet pavement.

My new Ford Crewcab only has 1200lbs of payload. I wish it was somewhere near the 1800 to 2400 you speak of. To attain those you must have max tow, HD payload, and Ecoboost.

As previously stated though I do love my Ford. But when it comes to buying my next truck, which probably wont be for 5-10 years, Ill definitely give both the Ram and Ford an equal look.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The new Ford Fusion has the grille shutters too

Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by MO50
All my friends who drive Ford and Chevy use to comment on how great the ride in my Ram was compared to their trucks.

My new Ford Crewcab only has 1200lbs of payload. I wish it was somewhere near the 1800 to 2400 you speak of. To attain those you must have max tow, HD payload, and Ecoboost.
What a friend says is hearsay. I trust pickuptrucks.com And what I argued was in response to leaf springs being better at "only cost and payload". This is false.

Ford gives you a choice of higher payload or not. It was your choice to get a lower payload. With Ram and the coil springs you couldn't get it higher even if you wanted it. Hence, the air bags.

You can get to 1800+ with a simple max tow. With heavy-duty-payload you will be looking at 2200+ payload.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
What a friend says is hearsay. I trust pickuptrucks.com And what I argued was in response to leaf springs being better at "only cost and payload". This is false.

Ford gives you a choice of higher payload or not. It was your choice to get a lower payload. With Ram and the coil springs you couldn't get it higher even if you wanted it. Hence, the air bags.

You can get to 1800+ with a simple max tow. With heavy-duty-payload you will be looking at 2200+ payload.
I trust my friends more than I trust pickuptrucks.com or any other website or magazine for that matter. They flip flop and never give true reviews, too much money involved in their opinions.

My choice was not lower payload, my choice was crew cab and options. What I got was a terrible payload. That 1800 you speak of is going to be 1500 with normal options btw. According to the Ford website, my truck should be 1560 lbs. My sticker only says 1250 though. And my truck isnt fully loaded at all.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by MO50
I trust my friends more than I trust pickuptrucks.com or any other website or magazine for that matter. They flip flop and never give true reviews, too much money involved in their opinions.

My choice was not lower payload, my choice was crew cab and options. What I got was a terrible payload. That 1800 you speak of is going to be 1500 with normal options btw. According to the Ford website, my truck should be 1560 lbs. My sticker only says 1250 though. And my truck isnt fully loaded at all.
Funny the way some people look at things isn't it? I also trust my friends more. Too many advertising dollars are at stake with those magazines. Plus their test vehicles are always the fully loaded models, not the cheaper ones most of us buy.

According to Fords brochures, the 6.2L Supercab Raptor has the worst payload, 920 lbs. But I doubt anyone buying a Raptor cares.

If max payload was a priority we'd make different buying decisions. Probably 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. You bought based on options and passenger space. And you'll deal with whatever payload you have left.

1560 is what, a 3.5L Ecoboost supercrew 6.5' bed? That's a long truck.
GVWR is 7350. So if you take away that 1250 on your sticker that leaves you with a 6100 lb truck, empty.

For mine it comes out to being GVWR of 6800 and a payload of 1710. I don't know what the sticker says. Therefore my regular cab short bed weighs at least 5090 lbs, empty. I didn't get many options, so it should be close to that.

I doubt I'll ever come close to the full payload capacity of mine. Being I mainly use the truck for home improvement projects. I know it'll carry more than my old Tacoma. And that had plenty of capacity for a homeowner.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Kytann
You sound like a complete moron.

First of all shutting down the engine when idling just makes sense. Why burn gas when you're not moving? Do you like throwing money away? If you're worried about it not restarting then perhaps you should fix your truck, it's obviously broken.

Grill shutters are for aerodynamics. I wish we had them. I'm also sure we will soon.

As far as gas mileage goes, perhaps you're not concerned about it. But that's an idiotic attitude to have towards everyone. While the truck does not get the mileage of a prius, or even a normal car, it has other uses. gas mileage hits each and every one of us in the pocket book multiple times a month. Again, you must like throwing money away. But for me, if my truck was even a little worse mileage I probably wouldn't have bought it. Again it's a financial cash flow thing.

Say you have 600 a month. you can either pay 300 in gas and 300 in payments. Or 200 in gas and 400 in payments, and have a nicer truck. Which makes more sense?

As far as what you'd buy. I don't think anyone gives a rats ***. We're all here and already bought Fords, so obviously our decision has already been made. However, we can look at the improvements other automakers have done, and get Ford to implement similar strategies in the future.

And of that, I'm pretty sure we're gonna get start-stop and active aerodynamics (grille shutters) sooner rather than later.
More stuff to drive up the price of the truck. More shiz to make fools like you to buy it. You want to save gas? Dump your 4WD for a 2WD. There weight reduction which saves you fuel. You had to fit in with the guys and have the Powerstroke 4x4 so you could be Joe Cool Camel driving to work and the grocery store.

As far as gas mileage goes, perhaps you're not concerned about it.

When's the last you used 4WD towing your camper on the highway?
Whens the last time you used 4WD?

Again, you must like throwing money away.

That's why 2WD would be better than 4WD towing on the highway.

Amen Bro!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fredneck4x4
More stuff to drive up the price of the truck. More shiz to make fools like you to buy it. You want to save gas? Dump your 4WD for a 2WD. There weight reduction which saves you fuel. You had to fit in with the guys and have the Powerstroke 4x4 so you could be Joe Cool Camel driving to work and the grocery store.

As far as gas mileage goes, perhaps you're not concerned about it.

When's the last you used 4WD towing your camper on the highway?
Whens the last time you used 4WD?

Again, you must like throwing money away.

That's why 2WD would be better than 4WD towing on the highway.

Amen Bro!

I'm not sure who you are talking to, or why I'm even responding to your idiotic post, but here goes.

1) I need 4x4. I drive in the snow, I take my truck hunting, I occasionally get in places a 4x2 won't come back from. When was the last time I used it? Last week Wednesday, towing a heavy trailer up a steep hill with loose gravel. It was even 4x4 low.
2) I don't use 4x4 towing my camper on the highway since I don't tow in the snow. I do, though, use it for maneuvering my camper into my garage, etc. where 4x4 is needed or where I like the fine control of 4x4 low.
3) Yes, 4x2's get better fuel economy than 4x4's, but, I don't have the money to buy one of each, so I have a 4x4. Another note, 4x2's have higher tow ratings than 4x4's due to the lower weight of the 4x2. Still, it doesn't fit my use case, so 4x2's need not apply for me. And, it's not just the lower weight, but the higher efficiency of not needing to pass through the transfer case. On the highway, the biggest killer of fuel economy is not weight...it's wind resistance. Having a diesel in a truck that weighs 7k lbs, the extra weight of the 4x4 system has a negligible affect on fuel economy.
4) I didn't buy my truck to fit in. I couldn't care less what others think of what I drive. I bought my truck because that is what I wanted to use to tow my fifth wheel. I got the exact color, layout, trim, wheels, tires, etc. that I wanted, not what I thought would make the neighbors happy. Oh, and I work from home, so I don't drive it to work. And I take my wife's Flex to the grocery store.

So, before you start spouting off *****, why don't you try to learn a little about what the he|| you are talking about. I don't have to answer to you, or anyone else (but my wife, of course ) about what I drive.
I welcome the new features. Any increase in fuel economy is a good thing, especially with prices hovering around $4.00 / gallon!

Last edited by Bluejay; 05-21-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: language
Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I'm not sure who you are talking to, or why I'm even responding to your idiotic post, but here goes.

1) I need 4x4. I drive in the snow, I take my truck hunting, I occasionally get in places a 4x2 won't come back from. When was the last time I used it? Last week Wednesday, towing a heavy trailer up a steep hill with loose gravel. It was even 4x4 low.
2) I don't use 4x4 towing my camper on the highway since I don't tow in the snow. I do, though, use it for maneuvering my camper into my garage, etc. where 4x4 is needed or where I like the fine control of 4x4 low.
3) Yes, 4x2's get better fuel economy than 4x4's, but, I don't have the money to buy one of each, so I have a 4x4. Another note, 4x2's have higher tow ratings than 4x4's due to the lower weight of the 4x2. Still, it doesn't fit my use case, so 4x2's need not apply for me. And, it's not just the lower weight, but the higher efficiency of not needing to pass through the transfer case. On the highway, the biggest killer of fuel economy is not weight...it's wind resistance. Having a diesel in a truck that weighs 7k lbs, the extra weight of the 4x4 system has a negligible affect on fuel economy.
4) I didn't buy my truck to fit in. I couldn't care less what others think of what I drive. I bought my truck because that is what I wanted to use to tow my fifth wheel. I got the exact color, layout, trim, wheels, tires, etc. that I wanted, not what I thought would make the neighbors happy. Oh, and I work from home, so I don't drive it to work. And I take my wife's Flex to the grocery store.

So, before you start spouting off *****, why don't you try to learn a little about what the he|| you are talking about. I don't have to answer to you, or anyone else (but my wife, of course ) about what I drive.
I welcome the new features. Any increase in fuel economy is a good thing, especially with prices hovering around $4.00 / gallon!
I'm with you. 4x4 is used in the Winter for the snow, and in the Summer for trails in the woods. A 4x2 wouldn't work for me, it'd be as useless as a convertible station wagon. I don't even tow, so frankly I don't care about anything associated with towing. I just wanted a 4x4 truck to get me off the beaten path.

My research shown me that the Ford is the sturdiest of the big trucks for that intended use. So I chose Ford, despite liking the Hemi motor and interior better. Doesn't do me much good if it breaks out in the middle of nowhere.

I also don't care what others think of my ride. It does what I need it to do and that's the important part. I also made sure it didn't do anything extra that I don't need, like have those useless backseats .

Last edited by Bluejay; 05-21-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: remove insult
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Ok guys, ease up. No more personal insults. That is one of the things we do not allow on the site.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Here you guys might like this. it's a link to a report naming the Ram as the most Dangerous cars.http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/05/30/ra...rs-in-america/

Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
^ Yup, I'll take an over-engineered truck (F-150) anyday of the week. Yeah it cost a little more, but piece of mind is priceless.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. (insert manufacturer)

For 40 plus years I've heard the arguments, almost like political or religious arguments. I don't hang out on any other manufacturer's forums, but I'm sure the conversation is similar to this one's. Ours are bigger/better than theirs.
That being said, I'm so friggin happy with my F150, I can't even consider another brand! And, this is one helluva nice forum!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Looks Ok I am not much on Dodge but at least you can get a Hemi,I hate the way every things going to V6,I will stick with My V8,I might be driving a New F150 instead of My 05 if dealers would stock F150's with the 6.2 all they know here is Ecoboost they may be Ok but not for Me,Don't want the hassle of special ordering.

Last edited by Gordon M.; 11-21-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ram