2009 - 2014 F-150

2013 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
From the feedback post owners have given in this thread, it sounds like they liked the newer Rams for the most part. It's great to see the competition back and forth.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambo
If the New York Auto Show was any indication of what people are looking for, the Rams still have a long way to go before they will ever take out Ford. The most popular truck at the show was still the Raptor followed by the Platinum and King Ranch. There was a line of people checking out the Raptor, climbing in and out. Platinum had a steady flow of lookers and as did King Ranch. The new Ram - I was there by myself looking at the 2013 refresh while everybody else was over partying in the Ford booth. The refresh wasn't bad. Was it as good as any of the top Ford truck interiors? I didn't think so. The door handles felt kind of weak. The GM's - nobody was looking at them at all.
Auto shows arent necessarily an indicator of anything, people look a the vehicles that are cool that they cant have or cant afford. SO I would expect the raptor to get lots of attention but I dont see a lot of them on the road either. And really to compare the raptor to a regular 4x4 regardless of branding is pointless.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by nards444
Auto shows arent necessarily an indicator of anything, people look a the vehicles that are cool that they cant have or cant afford. SO I would expect the raptor to get lots of attention but I dont see a lot of them on the road either. And really to compare the raptor to a regular 4x4 regardless of branding is pointless.
Marketing experts claim that auto shows are a huge indicator of sales, not just on sales directly after the show but many months after. I am getting tired of hearing on pickuptrucks.com that Ram is taking out Ford. Just do it already.

Like the new 09 Ram which flopped, the 2013 is just more of the same. 10 articles on pickuptrucks for 1 refresh and nobody cared about it at the show. This is telling. There will be lots of collateral from things like showgoers talking with friends and family about the new cars and trucks they saw (mainly Fords) at the show. The top 3 were: Raptor, Platinum, and King Ranch. Ram was a distant 4th and GM lookers were nonexistant. One may salivate over a Raptor or King Ranch, but if they cannot afford it they can settle for reality: XLT, FX4, Lariat, etc. What is the 2013 Ram? Just another over-hyped Ram.

edit: I'll also add that in 08/09 at the NY Auto Show, not one person was looking at the all new 09 Ram which was upposed to be a big deal. Everyone was at the Ford booth looking at the new 09 F-150. What happened next? Ram went bankrupt. Ford kept going strong. This is why I can't stand Ram. They build trucks that nobody likes (coil springs?), they get into huge financial problems, need bailouts and then file bankruptcy. Then they overhype any new product they make. This 2013 is more of the same losing strategy that has kept them in last place.

Last edited by Rambo; 04-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
After reading more about it I'm not that impressed. Outside of the air suspension, radiator slats and LED headlights it gets a big "so you copied Ford once again" from me. All of the other "new" things they brag about are already on my F-150 that I have been driving for a year now.

The 8 speed tranny is really more like a 6 speed from reading about it
Porsche called and said the active cooling slats are so 1987
LED headlights, cool on the first few Audis that had them, now so overdone
Power folding mirrors, Ford said 2005 wants its option back
Automatic wipers, already on my Ford
Electric steering, see above
4 wheel disc brakes, so 1999 F-150
Power slider with defrost, my Ford already has that button
6’4” bed on a crew cab, Ford gives you another 2”
Aluminum hood, Ford says welcome to 1997
Start/Stop sucks, it was a pain on every car I have driven with it

I could buy one for way less than dealer invoice; I have friends that own a Dodge dealership. Sorry guys, I’ll stick to buying a Ford.
Yep. This Ram refresh is being over-hyped. It will be killed in sales by the all new GM's which will be out 6 months after the Ram is on the lots. Then the all new Fords will be out shortly after.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I expected GM to be out with an all new truck but is Ford building a new F-150?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wandell
I expected GM to be out with an all new truck but is Ford building a new F-150?
The new F150 comes out in '14 as a '15 model. So 2 years from now...

Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
We want a nicely loaded regular cab truck, Ram has one. But, there was no way I could buy one with that horrible transmission. By nicely loaded, I'm talking, bucket seats with center console, nav with backup camera, remote start on key fob, auto dimming rear view and outside mirrors..... So, I'm getting a 2013, if they still offer a nicely loaded regular cab pickup.

We would already be in a Ford if they offered an FX4 regular cab.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM
What do you mean by "horrible transmission"? I know the Dodge auto tranny's of the past had a bad reputation, but the 2012 Ram recieved a new 6 speed auto and the 2013 is gonna have a new 8 speed automatic.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Ram 5.7 with 8 speed refresh - first quarter of 2013 CY.
Chevy and GM next gen all new models - first quarter of 2013 CY.
Ford next gen all new F-150 - first quarter of 2014 CY.

So just 1 year after the Ram refresh and next gen GMs finish their debut, the all new F-150 will debut and be on top once again. It's a brilliant strategy by Ford.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
What do you mean by "horrible transmission"? I know the Dodge auto tranny's of the past had a bad reputation, but the 2012 Ram recieved a new 6 speed auto and the 2013 is gonna have a new 8 speed automatic.
The gear ratios, and the fluid coupling feel. The new 6 speed in the half ton is really the same old 5 speed transmission, they just used the two second gear ratios now. I know, sounds silly, two second gear ratios, and it is. The old 5 speed used one of the second gears for up shifting, and the other second gear ratio for down shifting, but now they use both, and they call it a 6 speed. Third gear is still 1:1, and 2 overdrives. They come off the line pretty slow, depending on the torque converter's fluid coupling to get over the really high first gear, then when it gets going good, it shifts into second and just kinda falls on it's face. I really like the dodge trucks, I've had a ton of them, but I won't buy another silly old tech transmission with a new name. I'm gonna wait for the all new 8 speed, and I'm excited!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
I think the new 8 speed has better gear ratios.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 AM
but I do like the idea of the diesel Cummins V8 with 250hp/440ft-lbs. That would seem ideal for a light duty half ton truck... I wish Ford has such a diesel option.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by RecoRepo
but I do like the idea of the diesel Cummins V8 with 250hp/440ft-lbs. That would seem ideal for a light duty half ton truck... I wish Ford has such a diesel option.
I don't get the allure for diesel? The initial mark-up will probally be $5k. Todays diesels need DEF, have DPF's that need regened and the maintenance cost is nearly double, not to mention the increased cost of fuel. The MPG increase is long gone from pre dpf diesels. Todays diesels are nothing to write home about mileage wise. The 250/440 number is no better than the EcoBoost 365/420 power. The EB curve is flat as a diesel, plus no glow plugs, no fuel filter changes at 10,000 miles, no DEF fluid fill up at 5000 miles and 10 quart oil changes (15 quarts for the larger ones).
I had a new age diesel and will never go back again. Gassers are so much easier to live with and maintain.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by hydro1
I don't get the allure for diesel? The initial mark-up will probally be $5k. Todays diesels need DEF, have DPF's that need regened and the maintenance cost is nearly double, not to mention the increased cost of fuel. The MPG increase is long gone from pre dpf diesels. Todays diesels are nothing to write home about mileage wise. The 250/440 number is no better than the EcoBoost 365/420 power. The EB curve is flat as a diesel, plus no glow plugs, no fuel filter changes at 10,000 miles, no DEF fluid fill up at 5000 miles and 10 quart oil changes (15 quarts for the larger ones).
I had a new age diesel and will never go back again. Gassers are so much easier to live with and maintain.

I have a diesel Golf and a diesel X5 and compared to anything competitive in the gas field, they smoke the competition in MPG while not giving up much or anything in the fun to drive dept. However, comparing against future Ecoboost that margin may well be narrowed or closed. I don't get the maintenance thing though... why would a diesel by twice the cost to maintain over the mid to long term?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RecoRepo
I have a diesel Golf and a diesel X5 and compared to anything competitive in the gas field, they smoke the competition in MPG while not giving up much or anything in the fun to drive dept. However, comparing against future Ecoboost that margin may well be narrowed or closed. I don't get the maintenance thing though... why would a diesel by twice the cost to maintain over the mid to long term?
remember you are talking about small motors vs. a large diesel, i understand the truck diesel will be much smaller

Oil: 6.0 took 15 IIRC (might be 12) which is double a gas motor. oil change automatically = twice as much.

the bladder crap you have to re-fill every xx amount of miles or during oil change so oil change price goes up more.

fuel filters: on my 6.0 IIRC it was every 10-15k miles, $50 + install

W/ how much crap as been thrown at diesels in the past 10 years, you can't pay me to buy one until they get the emissions figured out while improving fuel mileage back to where it was.

My dads 6.4 on a good day gets 16 highway which is what my 6.0 got in the city with a light foot.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ram